Should I trade my 07 ttr 230 for an 02 125???

Hey guys, a while back I posted a thread that was called 125 or 250, and I am winding down towards the end of may trying to make a decision. It's either trade my 07 TT-R 230 for an 02 YZ 125, or save up now until the end of may and just buy a used 125 or 250 and keep the 230 too. I looked on kelly blue book and it says my bike is worth 2500 and his is worth 1800. Now that is a money loss there because I will be losing $700, but the guy said his kid may be able to put some cash on with the trade. The history behind his bike is that he bought it in 04 and they couldn't use it because there town passed a sound ordinance, and the kid wasn't ready for the 125. What are your opinions and what do you think I should do????

Heres my bike

PIC00032.jpg

Heres his

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Thanks

i know that that yeah YZ125was a good bike, i had one, same year for 4 years, see if you can get him to throw in 700 bucks, or spare parts or whatever, if he can't sweeten the deal, i think save up a bit, then sell your bike and get something around 05-06 125 in good shape.

i know that that yeah YZ125was a good bike, i had one, same year for 4 years, see if you can get him to throw in 700 bucks, or spare parts or whatever, if he can't sweeten the deal, i think save up a bit, then sell your bike and get something around 05-06 125 in good shape.

I want to say that Yamaha didn't change really anything from '01 to '05? I could be wrong though, they look almost identical and I know R&D'ing smokers died at around those years.

Yeah, the 125 2t R&D died out around those years, when the 250F really took off. Except for suspension (and frame in 05), the YZ's didn't really change that much. I'd save up and trade up for a newer YZ 125 though. Your TTR is worth more than that 02, so you might just as well wait or find a better deal for you (I'm curious as to why the kid wants to go from a YZ to a TTR. That's a big red flag to me)

I want to say that Yamaha didn't change really anything from '01 to '05? I could be wrong though, they look almost identical and I know R&D'ing smokers died at around those years.

yup, you're completely wrong :cry:

the YZ125 had a complete chassis and engine revamped in 2005... remember the saying "an all-new aluminum frame, and new motor, and 10 lbs less?" :)

in 2006, thereafter, it (again) received an engine update, and the all new SST (speed-sensitive system) forks, and titanium shock spring :banghead:

in 2008, it received another engine update said to have increased more the ever-solid midrange power of the blue tiddler, and a reduction of another 2 lbs at the front-end.

so, all-in-all, just weight wise, you're looking into a minimum 12 lbs shaved off on this bike from '02 to '08, plus a more potent engine for a 125, and unmatched handling :applause:

What is your reason for considering the trade in the first place? Are you not happy with your TTR? Do you want a MX bike more than a trail bike? What kind of riding do you do? These bikes are very different, made for different kinds of riding... IMHO if you figure out what you want in a bike most, your decision will be made for you (so to speak). Trails = probably keeping the TTR, if you are looking for a track bike go get the YZ125...plus the $700.

it depends how much do you love your TTR. I know that i just couldnt let mine go to get my YZ250F. I just flat out bought it, so now i have two of them and love them both to death.

A bike is important you cant just toss them out every year or so that really gets expensive.

But if you really truely have your heart set on leaving a thumper and trying a smoker then do it. Let me warn you though that YZ125 is gonna hit you harder than you expect the first couple times. After riding thumpers and you think you can handle one do it.

it depends how much do you love your TTR. I know that i just couldnt let mine go to get my YZ250F. I just flat out bought it, so now i have two of them and love them both to death.

A bike is important you cant just toss them out every year or so that really gets expensive.

But if you really truely have your heart set on leaving a thumper and trying a smoker then do it. Let me warn you though that YZ125 is gonna hit you harder than you expect the first couple times. After riding thumpers and you think you can handle one do it.

Well I did close to the same thing as you. I kept my ttr and found a nice 2003 kx 125 for a good deal so now I can have both bikes. Most likely I will be picking up the kx 125 this weekend.:smirk: