Ideas for homemade fork support

you can just get a peice of wood, round off the edges like the one in your picture (like with a jig saw) and who nees them little arm things that come out, and WALLAWW, you have a fork support for about $0.50

i would never pay $20 for a simple peice of plastic

I bought two of these for less than one of the "name brand" support braces. I've used them on my CRF450R and my CR250 for the last year and have had no issues with them. They do what they're made for and are made from some seriously tough high-impact plastic.:applause:

rid_06_for_sav.jpg

Rider Cargo Motorcycle Fork Brace Standard

Regular: $14.99

Our price: $9.99

Part# 1096210001

http://www.rockymountainatv.com

• Like 1

I have always used a piece of 2" PVC pipe. Drill a hole through it for a small rod. So you end up with a cross or +. The rod can be wood or metal. Its just there to hold it in place till you get the pressure on it.

Even though a lot of people fill they are not nessasary, I still fill comfortable using them.

+1 on the make your own - piece of 2X4 cut to length, and cut the corners off the top end so it fits in you fender. If you really want to get fancy, nail a cross brace form a 1X2 scrap. Works just as well as the plastic one I bought.

I think using these along with handlebar tie downs can more easily torque your forks and cause a fork to seep oil. Not 100% sure on that, but if there was an easy way to back a bike in and tie down to the rear in a manner similar to the front, I would do that instead. I don't have any good places to tie off and cich the bike down in the rear (w/o tying off to the delicate subframe).

Have seen many use 2x4s with no problems at all....on the other hand most of us never use any kind of fork saver and just ratchet down tight and never had a problem at all either, so do what helps you sleep better at night, but its definately a not needed product in my eyes

I am thinking about making my own fork saver and need some ideas. I will probably end up spending what they cost new ($17) but I still want to give it a shot.

Anyone else make their own and how did you do it?

Here is the new one:

TIT-FS-001_is?$productdetail$

I did this, except made the little arm things. took a 2x4 and put one across. Three screws and your golden. It's actually perfect since its drilled ontop of the support board, so it sets it up right in front of the fork tubes if that makes sense.

Have seen many use 2x4s with no problems at all....on the other hand most of us never use any kind of fork saver and just ratchet down tight and never had a problem at all either, so do what helps you sleep better at night, but its definately a not needed product in my eyes

Same here. Until a year ago, I never used any kind of brace and never lost a bike or suffered any blown fork seals. But I no longer have to run bungee cords from end to end on the tie downs, either.

Project done...

I'll post pics later but I just used some wood and PVC. Not the greatest but it'll do the job for now. I suspect the $10 one from the retailer will be the next "filler" item to qualify for free shipping.

I also use my bleeders before and after each ride.