Help! Yz Or Yzf

About to purchase a new to me bike. Found two deals in my area. One is a 2005 yz250 the other is a 2004 yzf450f. Both are the same price at 2500$. Will not be racing but do enjoy doing it all from track to trail, air and ground. Thanks for the responses.

DJ

It's my understanding that maintenence is extremely cheaper on a 2-stroke. Easier to work on, less finicky, etc.

The cost factor was the main reason I went with a 2-stroke.

On the flipside, 4strokes have more torque, low end, and you don't have to stay on the pipe. Basically you can leave it in third gear most of the time and just ride, whereas a 2stroke you may find yourself shifting a bit more. It's not as noticeable on a 250 however, I have a YZ 125.

Hope that helped.

I would not buy a 2004 4 stroke unless it had been parked for 3 years. My neighbor just bought one. He appeared to do ok, for now, but if the 4 stroke needs engine work it can cost way more than the bike is worth.

Check into rebuild costs for each machine and decide from there.

Go for the YZ. I had a YZF (still have it, but the motor blew, and for the cost of parts I got a YZ250-no lie), and the 2t is hands down an all around more fun bike to ride. I would say the only 2 places that a 4t has the upper hand is on the track, and wide open stretches in the dez. But, that being said, my YZ250 weighs 26lbs less than my YZF according to each manual, and that makes it a lot easier to ride for a longer time both on the track and in the dez.

In the woods, no comparison, the YZ smokes the YZF...way lighter and more nimble. And in technical sections whether it be trail, desert, or track, the lightweight and nimbleness of the 250 makes it so much more fun to ride.

Last year a buddy and I soloed in Baja 500, I did it on my YZF, and he did it on his YZ250. He finished no mechanical problems at all, and just put in a new piston and rings when the race was over, took him about an hour. I, on the other hand spend about twice as much money on a new piston, rings, and then there were the cams. Not to mention, the modern 4t is a pretty complex machine to break down and work on, and it took me a while.

In the end, I am back on a two stroke 250 and love it. I, like you, ride tracks, trails, desert, whatever I can get. I really think that the two stroke motor is a much better match for an off road moto than a 4t. Awesome power, lightweight, easy maintenance, inexpensive parts.

wasn't the '04 yzf still a four speed?

Thanks dudes,

Going to pick up the yz in the afternoon! I'm stoked! Seems by far the majority on this site and others say yz and it all makes perfect sense after explanations. Thanks for your input.

DJ

The 2004 was a 4 speed, but no big deal really. The bike has tons of torque and I sure never felt a lack of gears was a problem. The problem here would be with the number of hours on the bike. It could get expensive...

Finally a thread that has sensible posts. In all the other threads about this, some stupid people have tried to convince the victim to get a four stroke saying all you have to do is change the oil and check the valves. It actually makes me angry. :applause:

Finally a thread that has sensible posts. In all the other threads about this, some stupid people have tried to convince the victim to get a four stroke saying all you have to do is change the oil and check the valves. It actually makes me angry. :applause:

The truth is, they could be right. The 4 stroke might have many hours left in it before needing a rebuild. Or not. For my money I dont care to find out.

An 04 needing a rebuilt could quickly end up costing more than a 2006. Plus, the 04 chassis and 4 spreed tranny hurt its value for resale.

For whatever it's worth, not long ago I bought an '05 YZ250 to mess around on when not racing my '07 WR450f. Riding it has made me wonder why I ever got the 450 in the first place. This 250 has some added FW weight and will tractor most anything the 450 will. It's about 30 lbs lighter and will actually do what you make it do. In other words you're calling the shots when your riding it not the other way around. You've made a good choice.

+1,

i'd take the YZ250 over anything 4-stroke, even if i have to pay more extra just to win that 2-stroke of a kind :)

congrats on your new ride! :applause:

120104reedbikelglv8.jpg

I started riding 125s in the 70s - all 2-strokes back then. When it came time to move up I jumped right to a 426 (YZ) because I rode a 250 and hated the power delivery. Stayed on big 2-strokes for racing but had an XR600R for trail riding and hated the wegith but loved the power delivery. Had an 89 CR500R that was just getting long in the tooth and didn't handle modern MX trackes well. Tried out a 91 CR250R and still hated the power delivery - ride it wide open, all the time or it feel gutless. Rode an 01 YZ426F and loved it - you could cruise around and torque it or scream it - it had way more HP everywhere then a 250 2-stroke but not the arm wrenching HP of 500. I bought an 03 YZ450F 2 1/2 ago - race MX once or twice a month and have done nothing to it but change oil. It could probably use a rebuild but still runs better than a 250 2-stroke. I am going to run it in the 08 Baja 500 this year and I don't think I will rebuild it until after that. More costly to rebuild but you don't rebuild as often. I don't do much woods/trail riding so maybe I'd feel differently if I did more but my guess is that I would look at a 250F before I looked at a 250 2-stroke. I will always be a 4-stroke guy now.

Eric

I would look at a 250F before I looked at a 250 2-stroke.

I might agree with your logic if he were buying a new bike, but he's looking for used. With a new bike you know the hours are 0 when you buy it and you go from there, keeping a close eye on valve wear. With used, especially 250 4t which are even harder on valves, you just don't know and could be one ride from a $700 valve job.

Just an observation, but alot of young guys ride the 250 4t's and some don't even check the valves...ever. I'm not knocking you young guys, but when I was one I rode the crap out of my stuff and wasn't thinking long term.

Sounds like you're already getting the YZ 250 anyways :applause: so we're just rambling about our beloved 2 strokes to drive the point home.

Let's see some pictures!

Mike

The truth is, they could be right. The 4 stroke might have many hours left in it before needing a rebuild. Or not. For my money I dont care to find out.

An 04 needing a rebuilt could quickly end up costing more than a 2006. Plus, the 04 chassis and 4 spreed tranny hurt its value for resale.

True but they don't mention any of that... and some people tend to say less go wrong with them, which could be true comparing to a 2 stroke i don't know. But they don't give them the full story and its stupid to say what some people say.

Four strokes often have problems I've seen many threads about "broken" thumpers and all the money going down the drain to fix them if fixable AT ALL.

2 strokes are more reliable but this my opinion not based on anyone else's words. IMHO

All true enough - just stating my opinion. I just prefer 4 over 2 stroke - even used. I would love - if I had the money - to pick up a decent 250F (which can be found) and drop a big bore kit on it - think that would be a real fun bike - if I didn't have so much carcass to lug around.

Eric

Dudes, Grrrrrrrrrrrr. Could not go look at bike on Mon due to weather here. Have to work all this week so called the fella selling the "2005" bike. Asked him if he could send me some pictures of the bike to me e-mail. Well he does and much to my suprise, instead of a nice shiny silver square tube frame, I see a blue round tube frame!!! All the pics I have seen of 05 and newer have an obvious square tube apperance. This does not! Will the numbers stamped on the frame have a model year in them? I know it is not an 05 but just want to know what year it is. Also should I hold out and wait for a 05 or 06 to show in my area or talk the dude down and get this bike? Was planning on Fri but now???????? OPINIONS PLEASE! Thanks

DJ