I'm looking for an XR400. What do you think of this one?

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/569296016.html

It says the valves need adjustment and the compression release needs to be adjusted too. I might go look at this today. Could someone PM me a link to a shop manual so I can look up how to adjust the decompression cable? What is the bast way to check to see if the swing arm bolt is stuck? Are there any other things I should look for when buying a used XR4?

The only good way to see if the swingarm bolt is stuck would be to raise the rear, take the nut off and try to tap the bolt out. If it seems like it's going to move, you wouldn't have to actually remove it all the way. Otherwise, It seems suspicious to me that the guy would even try to sell a non-running, decent looking XR400 if the only reason it won't run is that the valves aren't adjusted. I'm not saying that it's not possible that that is the only issue with the bike, it just seems that if the owner has the service manual already, that he would take the small amount of time it would take to get it running before the sale to ensure that he gets a good price for the thing.

The decompression cable is adjusted same as your clutch lever. just set it so you have 3/16 - 5/16 (5-8mm) of free play at the handle. Even with this disconnected it will/should start. One thing about this bike though - the valves dont need to be adjusted or checked near as much as some newer racing 4 strokes. They shouldnt have gotten so tight after just one or two seasons of riding that the bike wont start after the engine's been broken in. As for the swingarm, i think the bolt is 17mm? but dont quote me on that. just take along some wrenches and as long as you can turn it, you know it's not completely frozen in there. see if the gordon mods have been done - see the sticky at the top of the xr200/400 page. wouldnt hurt to pull the plug to see if the jetting is at least close on it. then just usual stuff - ride it, go through all the gears, see how the clutch acts, tread life on the tires, check the chain for free play - you can tell if he maintained it at all, air filter - is it oiled properly, scratches, dents, see if the subframe is bent by looking at the back of the bike and see if its straight.

-john

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/569296016.html

It says the valves need adjustment and the compression release needs to be adjusted too. I might go look at this today. Could someone PM me a link to a shop manual so I can look up how to adjust the decompression cable? What is the bast way to check to see if the swing arm bolt is stuck? Are there any other things I should look for when buying a used XR4?

If it's not running, you should have good leverage. I think you should not expect to pay more than 1500, but I may be way off. Here, I think non running = 1K if it is very nice otherwise. I know it's more expensive there. It is an XR though, and if you want to clean the carb I'll bet you can get it running.

I would say if its been sitting in a garage for a while it is the carb and not the valves keeping it from starting. The XR's don't need the valve attention that the newer bikes do. Take 15 $100 dollar bills and hand it to the guy and you should own the bike.