06 suspension is bad!!

Just took the YZ out for my 1st real ride on the 06 forks I installed. It took all of 5 minutes to feel the difference. Within 30 minutes I was comfortable overjumping as the jumps were too small for the speed I was going. The forks took the harsh landings amazing. I still need to dial out the braking bumps. Not sure how to do that yet. But anyone looking to upgrade to the 06 suspension, its well worth it. Definitely increased my confidence in the bike.

New springs for my weight. Added 12.5 oz to the outer forks which is just below max. I bottomed them once when I jumped past the flat landing and into the uphill part but I stiffened them 1 click and it didn't do it again.

I haven't messed with the inner cartridge yet.

Dang Josh, don't post "06 suspension bad":naughty: You scared me:p I thought you were going to tell us by your testing of the 06 suspension on you 03, that it was -not good-"bad", not - really kool- "bad" . "Bad" on a forum scares me as a general rule. And if you'd ask me:busted: I could have told you the 06 front forks are "BAD" .....I mean Good!:applause: Ha,Ha. I'm glad you had a good test, Now go tear up the CRF's out there and make us proud!?

Techmc

I wish you hadn't posted this because I have just given up my search for SSS forks, I had decided on a MB1 revalve and maybe subtanks, but now you got me thinking about SSS forks again. On thing I will add about new verses old suspension is that the oil life in the SSS forks is way longer than the AOSS forks, 1 1/2 months is about all the life I can get out of the AOSS fork oil, and when I change it its definatley ready. I can get about 3-4 months on the fork oil in the SSS forks on my 250F.

I wish you hadn't posted this because I have just given up my search for SSS forks, I had decided on a MB1 revalve and maybe subtanks, but now you got me thinking about SSS forks again. On thing I will add about new verses old suspension is that the oil life in the SSS forks is way longer than the AOSS forks, 1 1/2 months is about all the life I can get out of the AOSS fork oil, and when I change it its definatley ready. I can get about 3-4 months on the fork oil in the SSS forks on my 250F.

You have to keep in mind that I'm comparing them to my 03 forks. The difference won't be nearly as much for you.

Just took the YZ out for my 1st real ride on the 06 forks I installed.* It took all of 5 minutes to feel the difference.* Within 30 minutes I was comfortable overjumping as the jumps were too small for the speed I was going. The forks took the harsh landings amazing.* I still need to dial out the braking bumps.* Not sure how to do that yet.* But anyone looking to upgrade to the 06 suspension, its well worth it.* Definitely increased my confidence in the bike.
i was thinking about doing this also,and had my eye on ebay for the forks and shock off an 06 or newer. i was happy with my 05 suspension until i rode my buddys 06 back to back on the same track one day.on brakeing bumps and from big landings there was a noticeable difference. but after talking to a local suspension builder was told he could make my forks,shock to work better than even the 08's for about $650. i was getting ready to take my suspension off the next day and take it to him,when a fellow local racer posted on a website that he had blown another motor and was going to ktm so he was parting out his bike,a 2005 yz250 witch had factory connection forks,and shock set up ,luckily for my weight exactly. so i contacted him and i bought all his suspension for $500,without a doubt the best money i have ever spent on my bike.after rideing,i too am even more confident,comfortable. and can say from first hand experiance that it is better than my buddys 06,not that his is'nt sweet. my point is 05 suspension can be made to work great,so people with 05's that are'nt happy with there suspension,do'nt just look for some 06 suspension there are other options.i.m.o.

Josh, I know it was cool to do both, but if you had to choose between the aluminum frame and the 06 forks, which was the best mod????

Prolly save the money and just buy a 06 bike LOL thas alot of $$$ in that bike and its prolly cheaper to just buy an 06 and have everything there already.

Prolly save the money and just buy a 06 bike LOL thas alot of $$$ in that bike and its prolly cheaper to just buy an 06 and have everything there already.

I know Josh has spent a lot on his bike, but from what he said the frame and forks were really not such a bad price.

I think in the years to come this will be our only way to get these bikes.

Frame was $500 (stupid Ti linkage bolt was $60) and forks were $370. Much cheaper than a new bike by far. Most of the other money was spent on dialing in the bike, bling or performance parts which I probably would have spent on the 06 as well.

If I had to pick only one, I would pick the suspension for performance hands down. When it comes to convenience and looks the AF is hard to beat. Its just so much easier to clean up.

You guys might laugh at this one but I have had this YZ since Nov. 2003. I have accumulated quite a collection of parts. Now the funny part. I am actually thinking about rebuilding my 2003. I priced out every part down to the bolt that I need to rebuild it and it came out to $1657. I just got a subframe off ebay for $13 which I had budgeted $50 for so I already saved money there. Then either my bro-n-law will buy it for what I paid to put it together so he can ride again or I will sell it for profit.