Sign in to follow this  

project bikes...lets see em

why the drz forks? just wondering? and it might be a good idea to squirt some wd40 and cover up that cylinder if there is no head on it.

well the dr-z forks made it easier to just use the electronic dr-z speedo/odo with the dr-z front wheel, and they are better than the stock '91 forks ever were.

and these pics are only of the "mock-up" phase so i just set the cylinder on there to mock-up the exhaust, the bike is already torn apart for the 10th time in the garage, with the motor wrapped up in a garbage bag

oh i see:thumbsup: looks like a prety sweet projecet. it will be a fun bike. are the drz forks going to stay on there?

oh yeah they are there to stay. in fact i had been running them for months with the original 125, long before i started this project, they are what inspired the project you know......"it already has 06 dr-z forks, what else can i fit on it?"

so how do those forks feel when they are not on a drz? i have ridden my bros drz 400s offroad and its a pile, i mean its ok but it just sucks offroad, but im assuming that drz forks on a lighter 125 they prolly are prety decent?

One of mine started off as this, a 1987 CR500....

Picture14.jpg

Then I got a 2000 roller and swapped the motor into it and parted the rest of the 87...

100_0003.jpg

Then the bottom end blew and I put in the bottom end from this 1989 and parted the rest....

KEYPICS009.jpg

And then this 2001 ported top end...

100_2293.jpg

000_0052.jpg

The I added the NOS....

100_2550.jpg

Ended up as a 2000 roller with a 1989 bottom end and a 2001 top end :applause:

My other bike started life as another 1987 CR500

100_1573.jpg

The got hold of a 1997 CR250 roller and added the motor from the 500

100_1604.jpg

100_1732.jpg

Then got new plastics

100_2106.jpg

100_2550.jpg

Ended up as a 2000 roller with a 1989 bottom end and a 2001 top end :applause:

You have to be kidding, as if a 500 wasn't enough, you added nitrous? You're a madman! :)

so how do those forks feel when they are not on a drz? i have ridden my bros drz 400s offroad and its a pile, i mean its ok but it just sucks offroad, but im assuming that drz forks on a lighter 125 they prolly are prety decent?

the dry weight of the 1991 rm 125 is 191 lbs, the dr-z "s": 291 lbs, i didn't have to change a thing, that 100lbs lighter makes the fork operation perfect, in fact i called racetech and they said that for a 191 lb 125 i wouldn't even need to change the oil thickness....its almost like those forks were made for the 125. that is why the dr-z forks leave so much to be desired, it is sprung and valved for a 100lb lighter bike. but it makes for a smooth highway ride.

the dry weight of the 1991 rm 125 is 191 lbs, the dr-z "s": 291 lbs, i didn't have to change a thing, that 100lbs lighter makes the fork operation perfect, in fact i called racetech and they said that for a 191 lb 125 i wouldn't even need to change the oil thickness....its almost like those forks were made for the 125. that is why the dr-z forks leave so much to be desired, it is sprung and valved for a 100lb lighter bike. but it makes for a smooth highway ride.

yeah thats kinda what i was figurin. that will be a fun bike with a 250 mill, and :applause: on the rmz plastic looks good.

umm do you really need n2o on a five hundo? good looken 500s though!

my RM-Z 150L :applause:

1-16-08022.jpg

1-16-08021.jpg

1-16-08015.jpg

1-16-08002.jpg

1-16-08001.jpg

it once was a completely stock drz125L when i first got it....

...but $3,000 later...(yeah it adds up!!!)

>Chassis/Controls:

BBR Frame Cradle

Gusseted and welded frame to hold up my fat a$$

Graphics (eh...:) )

BBR gold rims/ Prowheel spokes

Michelin Starcross MS2

IMS superstock pegs

Protaper Top clamp

Protapers (pastrana FMX bend)

Custom tall seat

Moose shorty levers

Goodridge Braided steel frt. Brake line

UFO fork guards

KX front axle

Tusk gas cap (bling :cry: )

dr200 direct shifter

>Suspension:

KX 85 front forks

Cannon Racecraft frt. .38 springs

CR 85 shock, freshly rebuilt/recharged

Motion Pro Fork bleeders

>motor/intake:

Wiseco 143cc 11:1 kit (4mm overbore)

Hotcams stage 1

EBC clutch

procycle oversized valves

26mm vm26 mikuni carb

ProCircuit T-4 exhaust

Lightened flywheel

Ported and polished

Intake opened up and No Toil filter

Moose sprockets

Graphics (eh...:applause: )

once i get the frame sand-blasted and re-coated, and i decide on some side-panels, i will be able to decide on some graphics?

what side panels do you guys think i should go with on my project? what graphics? should i have custom graphics made that say: "D-RM-Z 250" ? should i even call it that? what do you guys think i should call it?

why the heck would you put nos on a 500? nobody could ever use the power of a stock one. Some good projects here.

why the heck would you put nos on a 500? nobody could ever use the power of a stock one. Some good projects here.

Dune racing probably.

on trails or mx its not nessecary but on some big dune climbs you can use all the power you can get.