Noobs Maico project

Howdi fellas

My names Phil, im 26 and from South Yorkshire, UK. and i have a 94 Maico 500!

Ill be honest and tell you im not particularly mechanically minded or have any experience restoring bikes. But im totally hooked on trying to breathe life

into a piece of rocking horse s**t , there are no manufactures documentation or manual available, and only one parts supplier

in the uk. Hopefully someone can give me some pointers here and there to help me along the way

I can tell you now it was in a real state when i got it

At the time it would have been about 4 years old and TBH it was realy beyond my skill to heal, this thing needed some serious jedi power to

get up and running. The origional Marzocchi forks were gone and replaced with mid 70's maico ones? the front wheel and brakes also gone and replaced

with maico ones 20 years out of date (drum brakes). Rear wheel also maico with drum brake and anchient. The radiators were held on with sticky tape (im not joking lol) Why anyone would do this to such a rare bike is beyond me?

they even thought it would be good idea to grind off the lug on the swinging arm that holds the disk brake bracket so they could fit the drum brake assy.

Crazy?

Anyhoo the engine was a runner (so i thought) and was the reason i got hooked on it, its done about 20 minutes running since i bought it

(10 of those it was spewing water out the top of the radiator and the remaining 5 minutes pi**ing oil from the clutch...Great!

Then it sat in my garage until sometime last year when i got bored one sunday and started to tinker.

Got the engine out and found the piston and barrel was shot, got hold of a new piston and sent the thing off with the barrel to get re-plated.

Split the cases and inspected, all looked ok, the head was warped so i got it skimmed (not sure if this will cause problems) and a new head gasket installed

all reasembled and ready to go

Got the frame powder coated, new plastics, stickers and generaly all the piss easy stuff that looked good out of the way!

Example: This is how it looked last summer

DSCF0228.jpg

DSCF0230.jpg

Fitted a front end of a 90's ktm

DSCF0243.jpg

i was thinking about how to get the rear end finished with disks, caliper and the proper wheel? when i stumbled across an ebay item,

it was a 94 maico 250 half finished project...perfect, a donor bike! I opened the bidding at £200 and a week later there it ended, one winning bidder..me!

I brought it home and checked it over and i was over the moon, id spent years staring at my sorry heap with no real hope in hell of ever finishing it, then

suddenly i had this minter in front of me with everything i needed: Perfect and origional Marzocchi magnum 45's, a sparkling swingarm with fresh bairings

complete with rear wheel disk and caliper.

Although this bike was in a fair few bits and the plastics were tatty i thought theres no way a can rip it to bits to fund my project..

its just too good and mine too s**t. So i took the decision to pus*y out and cheat...i swapped all the shiny pits off mine and fitted

them onto my new project, pulled the 500cc motor out of mine and shelved it (ready for another project)

I stuck what was left of my bike on ebay and managed to get £100 for it, i was reasonably happy but happier just to see thae backend of the thing.

Assembled the new purchace...stood back and admired all my hard work

DSC00258.jpg

DSC00249.jpg

DSC00252.jpg

DSC00257.jpg

DSC00255.jpg

DSC00251.jpg

DSC00262.jpg

DSC00254.jpg

So there we have the first part of my project almost done, ready to fire up and ride off on for the first time

I know what your all thinking, "well all this joker has done is bought i bike and stuck some new plastics on it" and your probably right but hey

im enjoying myself and thats all that matters.

The next stage is to fit the 500 engine:ride:

DSC00264.jpg

Smart! Always good to know when to quit on a project!

Curious to hear how it runs. Got a pair of Bings on my BMW

You can email the factory. They have everything you could want.

I think it's koestlerbikeworld.com. If that won't work just google koestlerbikeworld and it will come up. Didn't have time to read the whole post. But if it won't run you should make it happen. These bikes are incredible.

You can email the factory. They have everything you could want.

I think it's koestlerbikeworld.com. If that won't work just google koestlerbikeworld and it will come up. Didn't have time to read the whole post. But if it won't run you should make it happen. These bikes are incredible.

Now thats the good stuff!

Great info

Ive come accross Koestler before, but never seen there new site:

http://www.maico-bikeworld.de/

and also Wolf Sport uk

DO you know if there are parts maunals available for these things?

Hello, i have a 90, its the same bike,keep an eye on the exhaust valve, its vacuum operated, the rubber under the cap cracks, or the little hole in the jug gets blocked, keeps the valve from opening.the bottom end and trans are the same form 83 on, lot of motor parts are the same, there not a bad running bike, i think your year and mine were the norway bikes, good luck,

Bill

I think your year and mine were the norway bikes, good luck,

Bill

What is a norway bike?

I am just a curious norwegian guy.. :smirk:

Hello, as i remember, but not 100%,after M- star folded, a company from norway bought out maico,moved it to norway, and the blue bikes came from there, or around there. after it did not work out for them, that other company that still makes them took over, kostler . i think you can still get a 2008, the red and black ones. good luck, hope you like it when you get it fired up. if you need parts, let me know what, theres an old M-star dealer here in PA. he has parts, thank you Bill

I think one of the companies that had bought Maico was Merkel and was in the Netherlands.

Hello, as i remember, but not 100%,after M- star folded, a company from norway bought out maico,moved it to norway, and the blue bikes came from there, or around there. after it did not work out for them, that other company that still makes them took over, kostler . i think you can still get a 2008, the red and black ones. good luck, hope you like it when you get it fired up. if you need parts, let me know what, theres an old M-star dealer here in PA. he has parts, thank you Bill

Well, I am no expert on Maico history, but I have never heard of Maicos being made here in Norway. In fact I have only ever seen ONE blue Maico here, and this one stands on display at a local dealers show-room.

Norway survives on oil and fish alone, the production costs over here are so big, thanks to the fact that the state has been run by ex-coumunists (so-called "sosial democrats") ever since ww-2. We are referred to as "the last Soviet comunist states" by fellow politicians of our nabouring countries! He-he..

Sorry to bring politics into the tread, just thought I'd shead some light on things as I experience them over here.

PS! I might add that Norway actually has contributed to one good thing in the dirt-bike world; Nordisk rims used by the sweedish Husqvarnas were "proudly made in Norway"! :smirk:

Hello,well i talked with my maico guru on this and your right, Merkel bought maico in 87, and built them until around 94 , then a bicycle company bought them somewere in the netherlands, they were very bad, bikes were shipped with no pistons , and were missing parts, this only went on for about a year or so, then kostler took over until today, so the blue maicos were made in germany by Merkel. thank you .Bill

Ok guys lets sort this out:

When Maico went bancrupt in 85 they started again as Gebrüder Maisch ( Maisch Brothers) were the Name GM-Star came from.

This didnt last very long and in the late 80s Lorenz Merkle (R.I.P) bought the brand and that was when the blue bikes were built.

After him the brand was sold to the Netherlands i think in 97 or 98. That were the bikes that you call norwegian :eek: , actually they came from holland :thumbsup:

These bikes were not known for quality, to be honest many of them were crap.

Since 4 or 5 years Mr. Köstler owns the brand, i don´t know if they are actually producing bikes or just build them from existing parts