Fork Seal Question

Have an 06 YZ250 with a slight fork seal leak.

After everyride there is a small amount of oil that leaks out and just a tad pools around the bottom of the fork. Nothing too serious.

I have a couple of replacements but just haven't had the time to take it in and have them replaced(Forks scare me or I would do it myself)

So the question is can I unscrew the air bleed screws at the top of the forks and drip oil in there in hopes of replacing the missing fluid from the right side?

I know I should get it replaced but not until it gets a bit more serious.

Yes you can. Pop off the dust seal with a screwdriver and slide a film negative or such underneath the oil seal. Hopefully you will dislodge the dirt and it will stop leaking.

You could add oil through the bleed hole, but how would you know how much to put in? Doing the seals isn't super tricky if you leave the inner chambers alone. I'd recommend changing the inner oil, but if your goal is to replace the seals to stop the leaking, then the OEM manual will cover tools needed and the procedure quite well. Take your time and ask questions if needed!

The air bleed screw goes to the inner cartridge I believe. If your leaking its most likely the outer chamber. If you add fluid theres no way of telling if you are adding the correct amount to make sure both legs are even. If one leg has more or less fluid than the other, handling will be compromised.

I would try cleaning the seal. Take the dust seal off and stick something thin like a laminated card and work it around the seal to see if you can get some dirt out of there.

edit: guess I type slow...2 people beat me to it.

Thank You for the replies.

So are we sure that there are two different oil resorvoir's, and that adding oil in the air bleed area will only add it to the inner resovoir?

I appreciate the guidance

yes, your forks have two chambers. the bleed screw releases air from the outer chamber. the inner chamber is more or less sealed. your manual will have a good break down with illustrations. it will be very difficult to add much oil through the bleed screw holes. they're very small. i think i saw an add for factory connection suspension that showed a tool that screwed into the holes that allowed oil to be added.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By MathiasJK
      Hi guys, I'm new here and bought a have 2001 a month ago and the engine is almost down in pieces, need the flywheel puller that's ordered and the parts needed for the rebound of the engine. I'm also ordering Haynes YZ manual as I think it will be a good buy for me.
      Anyway, the VIN strarts with CE08CE I think... on the back of my cylinder there where some mechanic had written with a marker pen -01 125. It seems like there have been a major failure before, as the head has small dents in it, and the cases are clearly not the same as the one with the VIN is much much smoother in the inlet and crank case. 
      Engine VIN is E111E I think, or something very similar to that.
      It has a white Airbox and floating front brake, I've read on other threads here that that was a new thing for -01, is it?

Fast help would be much appreciated so that I can order parts as soon as possible.
      BTW, here a rebuild with wiseco crank, all seals, new main bearings, new ring and all new  gaskets cost about 500$. Just the crank at Yamaha was 1,200$ at the local Yamaha centre so you all should count yourself as very lucky!

Thanks for help! I'll post other threads soon as I'm at the beginning is going to post the cases for a smoother flow and have complete HGS system. I really would love to have a 144 but I guess that will cost me insane money as everything is more expensive here, and I also guess sending head n cylinder to the U.S. would cost way to much too... So I'll, be doing what I can on my own and that's the cases for better flow and matchporting it to the cylinder. 

I much appreciate any help! Thanks!
    • By faizakhtar125
      I've heard if you put VForce Reeds, properly jet your carb and clean the carb, change the exhaust pipe, clean the airbox and put a new air filter, and properly fix the shocks to match your weight, you can gain a ton of power?
    • By Allooushh
      Please help! I recently bought a Yz250f and have not been able to start it, it Has spark, but there are many issues with the carby which I wanna rule out before I leap into a rebuild, ( I want to avoid a rebuild if possible as I’m low on cash). The carby at the moment is a complete mess so the usual steps to fixing it might not work. So here’s the deal with the carb: 
      - It’s leaking fuel from overflow ( really fast! ) and when I mean really fast, I mean it emptied my fuel tank in 2 mins.
      - It has a slow leak coming from somewhere under the float bowl
      - the air fuel screw is not adjusted correctly 
      - I don’t know if the electrics work on it either 
      - I don’t even know if it’s shooting fuel into the cylinder or not, as after kicking it a couple times and it’s not starting I remove the spark plug and it’s still dry. ( I tried putting fuel directly into cylinder from the spark plug hole but the bike still wouldn’t start) 
      okay so I know it’s a lot but I’m not expecting anyone to answer every single question themselves. If each person could tackle whatever problem they know it would help heaps. Also just want to know what Order to fix things in as I can’t do air fuel until the bike is running and it won’t run unless I stop the leaking and get it to spray fuel into the cylinder. And buying a new carby is not an option ( I’ve got $40 to my name atm). Please help guys thanks.