Air In Shock?

While i was injured i took the time to change the oil in the shock of my 06 kx250f. So i let the nitrogen out, took the adjuster out and pumped the fluid out, refilled it with medium wt. maxima shock fluid, pumped it some more to try and get the air bubbles out, and recharged it to 142psi. When i rode the bike yesterday i felt like a dumbass for even messing with it! It had almost zero rebound unless i turned the adjuster all the way to the softest position which is still didnt have very much. The shock was way too damn soft and i messed with the compression adjusters all day and it didnt seem to do shit and the static sag was way off! By the way before i took it apart the shock felt perfect. Do you guys think that the oil might be the problem,the bladder(how could be bladder be damaged if i didnt remove it from the shock body?) or air in the shock? Also i believe there was thinner oil in there like a 2.5wt or 5wt which i bought the bike with this oil in it.

Could somebody please point me in the right direction on this! Anybody know of any step by step bleeding procedures for the shock?!?! What oil do you guyz reccomend the best performance in these showa dampners?

Thanks guys!

sounds like air in the oil.If you take the shock off,remove the spring and compress it in and out you'll be able to hear air in the oil if there is any.

You didn't remove the bladder?Not sure how to change oil completely and not get all the air out without removing the bladder.

It's not easy to get all the air out.One problem is that if you push down on the shock too hard without being charged it will pull air past the seal and into the body. Then you get to start over.The best way is to put it in a vat of oil,but not everyone has 5 gallons of shock oil.

you said you 142 psi? That seems a little low?Unless that what the manual calls for? I always run 165 on stock shocks and 180 on my 650.(it has a real stiff stack and will suck air if i don't)

While i was injured i took the time to change the oil in the shock of my 06 kx250f. So i let the nitrogen out, took the adjuster out and pumped the fluid out, refilled it with medium wt. maxima shock fluid, pumped it some more to try and get the air bubbles out, and recharged it to 142psi. When i rode the bike yesterday i felt like a dumbass for even messing with it! It had almost zero rebound unless i turned the adjuster all the way to the softest position which is still didnt have very much. The shock was way too damn soft and i messed with the compression adjusters all day and it didnt seem to do shit and the static sag was way off! By the way before i took it apart the shock felt perfect. Do you guys think that the oil might be the problem,the bladder(how could be bladder be damaged if i didnt remove it from the shock body?) or air in the shock? Also i believe there was thinner oil in there like a 2.5wt or 5wt which i bought the bike with this oil in it.

Could somebody please point me in the right direction on this! Anybody know of any step by step bleeding procedures for the shock?!?! What oil do you guyz reccomend the best performance in these showa dampners?

Thanks guys!

You had enough air left in the shock to turn the remaining fluid into something that looks like a frothy head atop a beer. Not good for performance. Air has a way of finding a lot of hiding spots in a shock and it only takes a little bit to cause some big problems.

Did you want a procedure for rebuilding the shock via the seal head or the comp assembly?

thanks for the answers so far guys! I was looking for a procedure on to do a complete oil change on the shock and also to bleed all of the air out! I can never seem to get these things bled right! I dont need to rebuild the seal head or anything like that, just need to change the fluid and get the air out.

the only method to rebuild your shock is using a vacuum oil pump.

It's impossible to bleed a shock without a vacuum pump.

zac

the only method to rebuild your shock is using a vacuum oil pump.

It's impossible to bleed a shock without a vacuum pump.

zac

I disagree-

I have rebuilt many many shocks without a vacuum pump...so, it is very much possible, my friend! I'm sure many others have, as well...now, if you are referring to the KTM shocks, then yes, I use a vacuum pump.

Adam

thanks guys, i appreciate the replys!

well Ferg, I was in wrong when I said that is impossible.

For me is impossible to be sure that there isn' a microscopic bubble of air in the shock.

If you use a vacuumpump, you are sure at 100%:applause:

What is your suggestion to be sure that no air is in the shock?:)

You let "all night" in differente position and then re-fill?

You hit the shock till all the air comes out?

If there's air, you have to disassembly...

anysuggestion will be appreciate:busted:

zac