broken idler gear

My 2006 TC510 idler gear broke today on the starting line. :applause: What luck... Anyone have this happen to them?

What happened??

How do you know its your Idler gear??

I have a 06 TC 450, I had several issues with the gear selector, most recentley, my gear shift lever (selector) will stick in the down position, not allowing me to down shift, upshifts are fine.:applause:

What happened??

How do you know its your Idler gear??

I have a 06 TC 450, I had several issues with the gear selector, most recentley, my gear shift lever (selector) will stick in the down position, not allowing me to down shift, upshifts are fine.:applause:

Had this happen on my wife 06 TE510 from brand new. Take the right side cover off and you will see the shifter ratchet. Remove the ratchet clean off the burrs on a wire wheel and all should be good.

I saw the broken idler gear. That's how I know. You could look beside the clutch basket with the cover off and see a 2mm seperation in the gear. I was still able to start it a couple times, but shut it off quickly after I heard a clanking gear sound getting louder pretty quick. I happened when I tried to kick it and it backfired and kicked back real hard. I have had that bike for approx 60 hours and still can't tell t.d.c. from the other stiff point on the (cam rotation?) that makes it kick back violently every now and then.

OK, that makes sense. Git yerself a 07 decomp cam and associated bits, your bike will be able to be started with your hand or bare foot. The 06 TC decomps were of no use whatsoever, get the updated one and be thankful your engine case didn't shear off at the kicker. Sorry you never read about that, its been posted by me a few dozen times by now, every 06 TC should probably be updated to 07 decomp spec.

I will definatelty do that. As I took it apart I found that all those assosiated gears were broken. The cause looked to be the broken ramp on the kickstarter idler gear. I hope Ferracci sells the basket gear seperate. That would be costly.