How do you know if your fork seals are blown???

I flatlanded a 80ft jump today and now i noticed that my left fork tube has a little ring of fork fluid around it. There was some on the brake calipar. i dont think that I blew a fork seal because the problem is only on my left fork and not on my right fork. I cleaned up the fork tube with a rag and tried to clean the seal the best I could. Now when my suspension is compressed it only has a very light ring of fluid around the tube. I rode it on the motocross track after i cleaned it up and the suspension still feels the same. There is no driping or weeping of fork fluid from the fork seal. Do u guys think that I blew a fork seal or do u think it is just dirty? Thanks

Not sure this helps but, when I blew my fork seal, I knew it without a doubt. Fluid was just pissin out. I'd say, if they're leaking, it's time for new ones. It's fairly normal to have a slight ring of fluid. Anything more than that, you should replace 'em:thumbsup:

if you park your bike and have a puddle of fork fluid on the garage floor...its blown lol had that happen to a yz250

each fork has a seal, so the left could just be blown, Id say its time for new ones

It is possible that your seal picked up some dirt or mud off the bottom of the fork, having compressed it farther than you normally do. The first thing I would do is clean out the mating surface of the seal with some film negative strip or something similar and then check it again.

I flatlanded a 80ft jump today and now i noticed that my left fork tube has a little ring of fork fluid around it. There was some on the brake calipar. i dont think that I blew a fork seal because the problem is only on my left fork and not on my right fork. I cleaned up the fork tube with a rag and tried to clean the seal the best I could. Now when my suspension is compressed it only has a very light ring of fluid around the tube. I rode it on the motocross track after i cleaned it up and the suspension still feels the same. There is no driping or weeping of fork fluid from the fork seal. Do u guys think that I blew a fork seal or do u think it is just dirty? Thanks

I have never really liked the word "blown" when it comes to fork seals since this seldom if ever is the actual problem.

I mean, oil may be blowing out from under the seal, but it's not like the seal itself is "blown".

If you were to look at you would most likely not even notice any damage to it. Sorry, had to vent a bit.

So...when a fork seal leaks it's usually because something has gotten into the seal (such as dirt) or the seal is worn out (water spots are the number one cause of this) or the seal has become distorted (from poor fork alignment).

Try the various fixes that many ThumperTalk members have had great success with first, then if necesssary tear it down and replace it.

Lastly if you get any oil on the pads you have to replace them so keep a close eye on things.

I have actually had a "blown" fork seal. I was riding a yz250 and I was apparently too big for it. I came down from a jump nose heavy and viola! BLOWN fork seal. All of the fluid leaked out within a matter of minutes. No dirt, no pebbles, just fat:thumbsup:

I have actually had a "blown" fork seal. I was riding a yz250 and I was apparently too big for it. I came down from a jump nose heavy and viola! BLOWN fork seal. All of the fluid leaked out within a matter of minutes. No dirt, no pebbles, just fat:thumbsup:

Good story.

But my point is that a seal doesn't actually "blow" as in "blow-up". It's not like when a tire tube or an engine blows up...and the seal itself will not blow out of its position.

There must have been a time in the early days when seals came blowing out and the term just stuck.

I think what happen in your case is that you "distorted a seal".

Yea...I know, doesn't sound very manly or hardcore, but technically it's a little more correct. Maybe I'm just being a bit geeky (ya think?).

BTW - the oil resides on the bottom of the fork so if and when your seal fails "most" of the oil stays where it is.