How many shifts per lap?

Watching the pro's on tv its hard to tell, how many times would you think they shift per lap and how many gears do the actually use? 2nd and 3rd or more?

It depends on the track. In supercross they mainly use 2nd and 3rd and once in a while 4th. Outdoors they use 3rd and 4th more, and 2nd a little bit in tight corners.

Yep, the factory boys have special (read:works) transmissions so that they have to spend less time shifting. When you're shifting, even for that one second it takes, you're not on the gas, which is what all the pros want to do. I think they've got special transmissions and gearing so that once they get into the money gear (usually 3rd on a 4t) they don't have to shift much, maybe down to second for the tight corners and 4th gear for the long straights.

It depends on the track. In supercross they mainly use 2nd and 3rd and once in a while 4th. Outdoors they use 3rd and 4th more, and 2nd a little bit in tight corners.

I remember back in 2003 Brock Sellards was going through the woops in 5th gear on his YoT YZ250F.

I remember back in 2003 Brock Sellards was going through the woops in 5th gear on his YoT YZ250F.

No bog? He must have been flying through them...?

A few years back, Tim Ferry had a 3 speed YZ426.

if you watch clostly they usually shift in the air