Subarus...

My mom used to have one, and was telling me about the GREAT mpg they get. So I was wondering, who has Subarus, preferably WRX, Impreza, things of the sort, and hopefully with a hitch/trailer. What do you get for mpg, is it fast, is it fun, and does it really do THAT well in the snow? Thanks a bunch guys.

They are fun little cars, and pretty quick. The AWD really helps in low traction situations, but also sacrifices some MPG. It all depends on how you drive it. If your foot is constantly in it you arent gonna see very good mileage.

As far as trailers, i have seen quite a few that have small 2-3 bike trailers attatched to them, and i hear they do pretty well.

Go test drive one and see for yourself.

Thanks. I know I'm thinking ahead... but for the supposed 20/27 mpg, I would love to have one. I just watched dad fill up the truck I'll be driving until I can afford my own vehicle, and $100 + fill ups with 13mpg wont be fun. As long as it will haul my bike in the summer, and get me through the Maine winters, I'll be a happy camper.

There great cars but I'll never buy another one. A few years back I had some warranty issues that were well documented, to make a long story short, corporate Subaru got involved and I had to take the dealer and corporate to small claims court. I won easily. The funny thing was I had documentation from another Subaru dealer who fixed it right the first time proving the first dealers incompetence and they still fought me. If corporate Subaru would have helped I would have just gone to the other Subaru dealer to have work done and bought another Subaru some day but since corporate decided to fight me I'll never touch them again. I must have had a lemon because I've never seen so many things go wrong with a car. I kept my cool the whole time although I was justified to blow my top tenfold over the whole two years. I'm not saying don't buy one, I'm just saying I wouldn't recommend it.

Or you could look into a small 4wheel drive 4 cyl truck. Then you wouldnt have to worry about a trailer, and they get decent mileage.

Otherwise Subys are good little cars. :applause:

I drive a 2002 outback wagon 5-speed. I get and average of 25-28 mpg on the highway towing two bikes. (lightweight three tray trailer) I have had three bikes and three people and all the gear in the car and it did OK. It was noticeably taxed, though not undoable. It pulls much better than some of the small truck I 've ridden in. A friend of mine owned a 4 cyl Toyota that he used for hauling. I passed him over a mountain pass and left him far behind. The Suby didn't even bat an eye and ran away from him. he was so pissed he went and bought a new 6 cyl. taco:excuseme: That is true! Apparently I'm a closet lesbian for driving one. ??:banghead:

Just a FYI, the Imprezas will get pretty good gas mileage but because the WRXs are turbos, they don't get that great of gas mileage. Depending on how you drive, they get about 18-22mpg, about the same as my V6 Tacoma. I'm planning on picking up a WRX or STI very soon though, a very fun car!

i got to drive an sti the other day......very impressed.

the first thing you do in a hot rod is put it on the floor and start grabbing gears,.... honestly i could not shift it fast enough. that little car is a rocket. with a little seat time in it you could be very fast.

btw all the subaru's are excellent cars and we have very little probs in our area. I am pm at a subaru store.

gilkerson... sorry for the problem you had with ours. from what we see here with subaru the factory will usually bend over backwards to keep customers happy. sorry that did not happen for you.

i would go with the wagon if you were gonna get one. they can tow a bit more and you have more space for your gear and what not. they are really quick, with 230hp and AWD and when the turbo builds up boost they get up and go. plus sound awesome with an exhaust.

I have a WRX wagon and use to tow my 5X8 trailer with 3 bikes. The only problem with this car is the complete lack of low end torque (a downpipe and Cobb AccessPort is suppose to help though). Once in turbo boost it really moves (3,000 rpm), but off the line you need to rev the piss out of it. It handles great and just will not slip in the rain. I use to dread getting stopped on a hill while pulling the trailer. It almost doesn't make it unless you rev it out and slip the piss out of the clutch. Now I have a truck to haul the bikes, much better. I still get 24mph on the highway going 77mpg to work, and 18mpg when I was towing. Here is where I turn into dad: A WRX is toooooo much car for a new driver. I didn't let my son drive it until he was driving for 1 year, and then only when I am in the car. He gets the Hyundai Elantra. Most new drivers will bin a WRX within a month. Maybe you are different (will take it easy in the turns and lay off the gas)? End of lecture.

My mom used to have one, and was telling me about the GREAT mpg they get. So I was wondering, who has Subarus, preferably WRX, Impreza, things of the sort, and hopefully with a hitch/trailer. What do you get for mpg, is it fast, is it fun, and does it really do THAT well in the snow? Thanks a bunch guys.

It's all relative. Compared to a Civic, an Impreza gets lousy mileage. Compared to a sportbike, it's a slug. Compared to a dualsport bike, it's boring. Compared to a Selectrac Jeep XJ with Trxus MTs and ARBs, it sucks in the snow.

As an all-around vehicle though, it may be the best one offered for your usage.

Just out of curiosity, why wouldn't a 300 h.p. sti be able to pull a three rail trailer? Was it a cooling system issue? It's hard to imagine that an A4 Turbo with about 100 few h.p. and a lot less torque would out-pull an sti.

I find it more amazing that a 17yr old has an S4. I've got a job and I can't afford one.

-Tyler

i paid for every penny of my s4... i have been saving and working sence 15 and now im 18... the sti used to over heat and had NO lowend tourqe... and my s4 has about 20 more horsepower and 20 more tourde then an sti... :applause:

Good on ya! That's impressive.

Why aren't you spending your money on girls and drugs like a normal 18 yr old?

Did you get a full-ride college scholarship so you spent the cash you'd saved on a car?

Rent must be cheap in Colorado.

-Tyler

i wasnt gonna say anything about the WRX not being good for a first car, but someone else did so ill give you my opinion. i look at it like a someone getting a 2stroke for a first bike. because its too much power unless they keep low on the throttle until they get used to riding. ive seen a few kids at school with WRX's and theyve got into accidents. plus they say WRX means wrecks