Subarus...

if you want what i consider one of the best cars on the road. look at the mini cooper. non turbo coopers average 45 mpg. its not uncommen to see up to 60 mpg on the highway. mine has a 6 speed manual transmission and very peppy variable valve timed 4 cylinder motor. sold by bmw and under 20,000 fully loaded. this car handles all the snow chicago can throw at it. give them a look you might be impressed.

BS alert....

You would be lucky to get 35 mpg with a Mini, no way your getting 45+ mpg out of one.

Subaru cars are what they are, I can't say since I have never owned one. But what I can say about them, is the engines out of Subarus have been far and away the most popular engines in the last 10-20 years for conversion into aircraft powerplants.

I have had 3 or 4 planes with Subaru engines and they are good solid engines.

The only other popular auto conversions from Japan are the Suzuki built 3 and 4 cylinder engines from the Geo Metro, and recently the Suzuki V-6 out of the Vitara I believe...... And the 4 cylinder engine out of a early 90's model Honda Civic. And also the Mazda rotary engine from the Rx-7

Other popular engines, VW 1600-2180 cc flat four... Ford 3.8 liter V-6... and a few Chevy 4.3 V-6's and built up V-8's.

The Subaru is the only one that I know is run with nearly no modification from the car. Alot of people get them straight from the junkyard, clean them up and install a new timing belt and install them on a plane and fly them. Almost all of the other engines need to be rebuilt with heavy duty internals.

300hp turbo from the factory, probably a bigger turbo, intake, exhaust added up to bad gas mileage. I've heard if you only touch the turbo a few times during a tank you still get 20mpg or under.

Its weird because diesels get better MPGs when you add that stuff, considering you keep your foot out of it most of the time.

Subaru cars are what they are, I can't say since I have never owned one. But what I can say about them, is the engines out of Subarus have been far and away the most popular engines in the last 10-20 years for conversion into aircraft powerplants.

I have had 3 or 4 planes with Subaru engines and they are good solid engines.

The horizontal offset lends itself well to aircraft.

Don't know if the one's you're referring to are HO or not.

I know I made my Subaru fly a few times, landings are a little harsh though.

We own a 1992 loyale, and a 2002 forester...

we got the forester for about 10,000 dollars in january last year.

great car. like new. we installed a hitch, which was like 200 dollars, and it tows about 1500 lbs easily, even though subaru reccomends nothing over 1000 lbs... just don't overdo it...

aside from needing a tune-up and a timing belt, the car is peppy, and bulletproof.

Hey Everyone,

Well I have a modded WRX wagon and it should be in the low 300hp range with the larger tubo, intercooler, exhaust and ecu work that I have. It still gets 26mpg all of the time and that is a little bit of around town and freeway driving at 75mph. I also have a hitch on mine and plan on pulling my Kendon trailer that I just picked up for a great deal off of Craigslist! The trailer is the dual rail street and dirt bike trailer. The only thing I had to order was a 5" rise ball adapter do to the fact that the kendon has a high hitch height 21" and my car has some susp (lowered) on it. Overal I think that it is going to be a great combo!

Dennis

Its weird because diesels get better MPGs when you add that stuff, considering you keep your foot out of it most of the time.
Diesel has more energy per gallon that gasoline is the primary reason for the difference in fuel efficiency.

I've often considered keeping an old diesel rabbit to run in the winter (when it's too cold for my bike), and I'm nearly certain I'll convert my future tow vehicle from gas (13 mpg-not bad for a 1980-something truck) to a 6.2L diesel. Sure, it will weigh more, but it will get significantly better "gas mileage", can tow way more, and perhaps I'll even consider adding a $700 greasel kit. (waste vegetable oil for fuel) Only problem with greasel is I'll need to run the WVO tank empty because it will spend a lot of time sitting, and that stuff is nasty if it goes rancid.

I have had 3 subaru's

05 impreza 2.5rs - 06 wrx - 08 legacy(liberty in AUS)

super reliable, cheap to insure, run, service. A mate bought a second hand forester xt - super good value. good for towing .. but a good tray back would be great too

Diesel has more energy per gallon that gasoline is the primary reason for the difference in fuel efficiency.

I've often considered keeping an old diesel rabbit to run in the winter (when it's too cold for my bike), and I'm nearly certain I'll convert my future tow vehicle from gas (13 mpg-not bad for a 1980-something truck) to a 6.2L diesel. Sure, it will weigh more, but it will get significantly better "gas mileage", can tow way more, and perhaps I'll even consider adding a $700 greasel kit. (waste vegetable oil for fuel) Only problem with greasel is I'll need to run the WVO tank empty because it will spend a lot of time sitting, and that stuff is nasty if it goes rancid.

The way it was described to me is that a diesel's air-fuel mixture is constantly changing from throttle input, while a gasoline engine is constantly stuck at I think like 14:1 air fuel mixture. I love my powerstroke, but I would love to have a Subby Rally car to terrorize the windy dirt roads here:busted:

Subaru's are amazing cars, I have had 2 WRX's (neither with any problems) 1 legacy and my mom has owned them for years. They do better in the snow that really all cars I've come across, and a lot of trucks. I can get 29-31 mpg on the interstate in my 07 WRX wagon. all the subaru's I've owned were mecanically bomb proof cars with no major problems. I highly recommend them, very fun and practical.

Since we are talking about Subaru's, what about the Baja? Are they pretty much an outback with the back a bed? Can you haul two bikes in the bed? I'm assuming the rear tires would be off the tail gate. How would they pull a trailer like I see some of you hauling with your WRX and Outbacks?

The way it was described to me is that a diesel's air-fuel mixture is constantly changing from throttle input, while a gasoline engine is constantly stuck at I think like 14:1 air fuel mixture. I love my powerstroke, but I would love to have a Subby Rally car to terrorize the windy dirt roads here:busted:
Well, yes. A diesel engine will take as much air as you can feed it all the time. It runs on detonation and that's why they sound like they are pinging all the time, because they are pinging.

BTW, to the best of my knowledge, gas engines should be around 14.7:1, not 14:1 to keep the engine running right.

Diesel also runs on what would be insane compression ratios for gas, nearly double what a high compression gas engine runs. But they also only rev to less than half a gas engine. Note: this is 4-stroke diesel, I don't know anything about the 2-stroke or 2-stroke exhaust valved diesels other than they exist.

Since we are talking about Subaru's, what about the Baja? Are they pretty much an outback with the back a bed? Can you haul two bikes in the bed? I'm assuming the rear tires would be off the tail gate. How would they pull a trailer like I see some of you hauling with your WRX and Outbacks?
Baja/Brat. I think you could fit a bike in the back, but it would have to be small. Brats were great cars, but rusted out really badly. I was looking at getting one just to have as a back up car/occasional mulch hauler, at the time it was very hard to find a brat. Then the Baja came out, but I didn't want a new car as a beater.

Towing... this is coming from a guy who occasional tows a bike or two with his Miata. I wouldn't make a habit of towing with my car or a Baja, at least not any significant amount. It works when you need it to (did it twice this year for two dirt bikes, once for my street bike), but definitely not something either was intended for.

Outback is an SUV, Forrester is a car, the Outback is actually bigger/beefier than the Forrester. Either one would tow ok, the Outback is probably the better choice, but the downside is gas mileage is lower... it's a station wagon/truck the Forrester is a car. Either way, get a 5spd. The autos are ok, but the 5spd and even the 6spd (don't know if they still make this, and I may be mistaken) are bulletproof.

WRX is an awesome car, basically street legal rally car, as long as you don't do any duke's of hazard type stuff to it, you should be able to pound this thing day and night and I'd think it would work well enough for a tow vehicle as long as you don't try to rally race it with a trailer attached.

http://www.ramengines.com/id2.html

Here is one that uses the engine out of the old Subaru Brats... http://www.zenithair.com/zodiac/6-subaru.html

Build up of a EJ-22 for a airplane http://www.inficad.com/~bdhull/engine.html

Not a subaru, but dam it sounds sweet!

Another soob

This is a friend of mine, his machine has a Subaru EA-82 in it, 100 hp

Here is one with a RX-7 engine in it. I learned to fly gyros in this machine! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52gLWyyC8s8

Not a Subaru on mine, but this is me in my machine...

mine...

8-24-07141.jpg

2005 Legacy GT

5EAT

AVO panel filter

Crucial Racing ceramic coated UP

Flow DP

Borla catback

COBB tuning Accessport ("stage 2" map 93 octane)

stock HP/TQ = 250.....now ???

Awesome, reliable sleeper IMHO

I've had 4 Subarus over the years - I'm sold on them!

I think I'm going to buy a new Impreza Outback Sport. I want an STI but I don't have the discipline or extra cash to own a hot rod. (This is what my wife tells me anyway)

Does anyone out there have one of the new body style Imprezas? Consumer reports seems to love them but, have any of you guys or gals heard of any issues w/ the new ones?

Can you get a trailer hitch for them?

(I don't think I'll hack into the new one and build a bumper rack until the warranty expires.)

sub1.jpg

Sub2.jpg

sub5.jpg

sub9.jpg

sub6.jpg

I'll probably be getting rid of this car if anyone is interested in the car or the bumper rack system. It's custom but will bolt right on to any 85-93 sedan or wagon w/ this style body. The rack part comes off when you don't need it - w/o tools, simply pull the two ball-lock pins and it slides right out.

-Tyler

I'm loving my 09 Forester. I pull a small trailer with it just fine. We recently had some decent snow and I was impressed with how well it did - the plows didn't come through for a couple weeks (or ever) so the snow was on the roads for a long time. I would recommend this car.

Decent mileage too. I average 23 mpg with 90% of my driving in the city. I can get 28 on the highway easy. 26 towing the bike.