how do you clean a carb?

I took the carb out of the bike. how do I clean it? so far all i did was take off the bottom cover type thing and sprayed it all down with carb cleaner.

get ur self a can of carb cleaner at a local auto parts store. remove the carb and take the bowl off and any other covers it might have. make shure all the jets arent clogged up, spray the cleaner through them to test it. watch ur eyes:thumbsup:

Clean your air filter while your at it... no point in having a clean carb if you've got a dirty air filter thats just gonna clog your carb up again...

I took the carb out of the bike. how do I clean it? so far all i did was take off the bottom cover type thing and sprayed it all down with carb cleaner.
go to search type in how to clean carburetor. I found a few that way:thumbsup:

thanks, while i was taking it apart 3 pieces fell out on me and I dont know where they were. might have to take pics and ask.

Chemdip.jpg

Use the red hose on the carb cleaner to clean out all the tiny passages. Wear eye and skin protection.

I usually remove all the jets and soak everything apart, after a nice long bath use compressed air to blow out the jets and carb body before you assemble it again.

Take your time and be careful with the float tab, they bend easy and you can easily knock they out of spec.

I like the can with the basket. I would not dip the complete carb. though. Some of the carbs now day have composite pieces. I know on some KTM's there is a non-replacable gasket between the two halfs of the carb. body. It works good for jets and needles and such. Follow up with compressed air through all the orficies.

I like the can with the basket. I would not dip the complete carb. though. Some of the carbs now day have composite pieces. I know on some KTM's there is a non-replacable gasket between the two halfs of the carb. body. It works good for jets and needles and such. Follow up with compressed air through all the orficies.

Exactly. Tear the carb down completely. I don't put anything other than metal into the dip.

And +1 on the compressed air to blow everything out of those tiny orifices.

I only open my can of Chem-Dip outside. The fumes are ridiculous.

clean the fuel petcock and put fresh gas in it while your at it, also use compressed air to blow through the passeges in the carb to insure they are fully clear of debris

index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=433126

where does this smaller spring go in the carb? there were 2 total, the larger spring goes on the big screw thing but im not sure where the small spring went.

Is your air screw in? It will be the brass screw on the side of the carb just under the idle screw. Hard to tell exactly but that is what the spring looks like to me. I don't remember if the air screw on the pwk (looks like one) carbs also have the washer and o-ring like the fcr carbs do. If it does though you better find those too.

an ultra sonic cleaner is the best way to clean a carb... and will NOT hurt any rubber parts!

an ultra sonic cleaner is the best way to clean a carb... and will NOT hurt any rubber parts!

Sounds like the easiest way to do it. :applause:

Here is a good video that goes over the rebuild / cleaning process 

You didn't just sign up on the forum to spam your youtube crap on nine year old threads, did you? 

lurking for a while now, alot of guys search the forums for help so even if its not helping the OP many people view these old posts for info on there issues.

What bike and year does the OP have?