Big problem with 2001 ktm 200 mxc carb.

Well, I just bought a 2001 ktm mxc 200 and I cant get it to work right. I took apart the carb and cleaned everything. I put fresh premix in the tank. The bike did not run before I cleaned the carb. Now when I fill the bike with gas, the gas just comes right out of the carb bowl tube. The bike started once but ran really wierd. To keep the bike on, I had to keep playing with the throttle. The second I let go of the throttle, the bike shut off and did not restart. I am pretty sure that something is wrong with the carb float. I think that I put it back together right. I have taken the carb apart and put it back together like 3 times trying to fix the problem. What do you guys think I should do? Would you like me to take a pic of the inside of the carb to see if I have the float on right? Any help would be great. Thanks

If you think it's the float needle, then check that out next time you have the carb off by blowing in the fuel hose. WHen the carb is level you should be able to blow through the hose (with bowl empty), then when the carb is turned upside down so the float moves you will feel the needle close.

a photo would be good. To do what Ray says have the bowl off and turn the carb usside down. The weight of the float should hold the needle closed and you shouldnrt be able to blow thru the hose too easily. There is a tab on the float that the needle hangs from by thin wire. Other than that we have to see it.

Here is the expanded view from KTM's microfiche. Does that help you know if you put it together right?

The tab Mike is talking about is part # 20.

01503310.gif

Here is the expanded view from KTM's microfiche. Does that help you know if you put it together right?

The tab Mike is talking about is part # 20.

01503310.gif

Thanks firecracker but I am pretty sure that I put that back on the right way. I think the problem is #8. I did not take it out when I cleaned my carb so it might be dirty or worn. Does anyone know how to take of the float needle (#8)? I cant see a way to take it out.

to get at the float needle, remove float by putting the pin (# 24)

The clip (#20) hooks the float needle to the float tang

to get at the float needle, remove float by putting the pin (# 24)

The clip (#20) hooks the float needle to the float tang

I have removed that stuff before. I just dont know how to take off the float needle(#8).

It should come out when you remove float assembly. If it is sticking in there, you do have a problem.

it will fall out and be lost if you are not looking, maybe thats what happened and its not even there now. Get it for a Kehin from Kaw, hond or whatever dealer as KTM usually costs too much for the carb parts. The little wire attatches to the #8 needle and the wire loops over the float tang and is a loose fit. The parts are commonly refered to as the needle and seat. In the old days they came as a set and were replaceable. I think on the Kehin you can only replace the needle.

Well guys, I removed the float needle, it was kinda stuck in there. It was gunked up with old premix. The needle looks in very good condition. The rubber end is still sharp. I am still cleaning it but now it seems to come out of the hole easier. Is the float needle sopost to be able to slide in and out of the hole with ease?

yes, turn it right side up n it should fall out. The rubber tip is the seal and needs to be perfect. Use spray cleaner and q-tip in the hole to flush n scrub it out. Try it and if it still sticks then get a new one. If the parts are that bad with gunk then maybe you also need to clean the petcock by removing it from the tank and use an in-line filter till it is cleared out.

yes, turn it right side up n it should fall out. The rubber tip is the seal and needs to be perfect. Use spray cleaner and q-tip in the hole to flush n scrub it out. Try it and if it still sticks then get a new one. If the parts are that bad with gunk then maybe you also need to clean the petcock by removing it from the tank and use an in-line filter till it is cleared out.

Thanks. The petcock does not even close anymore so im kinda forced to get a new one.

Thanks. The petcock does not even close anymore so im kinda forced to get a new one.

You can take your petcock apart and clean it - I have to do that on mine when it gets stuck. It also doesn't require you to take it off the tank to do it.

if you do buy a new one look in to the newer style as they dont get dirt in them from the tire roost so easily.

Well guys, I removed the float needle, it was kinda stuck in there. It was gunked up with old premix. The needle looks in very good condition. The rubber end is still sharp. I am still cleaning it but now it seems to come out of the hole easier. Is the float needle sopost to be able to slide in and out of the hole with ease?

Yes, it should.

You may yet end up replacing it. A tiny little flaw or damaged bit that you can barely see, or even a hardening of the rubber part, would be enough to cause your bike to run like chit.

Oh and BTW, take your needle in with you if you decide to replace it. It's true that most Jap 2 strokes also used the Keihin PWK but when I replaced mine, I found that there were many different needles even for the same model carb. I don't know if they would have worked just fine or not, but I was taking off for a 3-day Moab trip and I didn't want to end up with something that didn't.

If you have time to wait you can order them online from Carb Parts Warehouse. I am not sure of the price, I haven't bought a needle from them. Do specify that it is the needle valve not the jet needle that you need.

Yes it should slid easy with no sticking. Make sure you get all the gunk out of the hole where the seat is or it will not seal when you put the needle back in. You need to get the wire that attaches the needle to the float or it wont open like it should.

You can take your petcock apart and clean it - I have to do that on mine when it gets stuck. It also doesn't require you to take it off the tank to do it.

It is so messed up with gunk that i just decided to get a new one anyways.

Yes it should slid easy with no sticking. Make sure you get all the gunk out of the hole where the seat is or it will not seal when you put the needle back in. You need to get the wire that attaches the needle to the float or it wont open like it should.

I have the wire.

Cool, I hope this fixes your problem. They're spendy little buggers for what they are.

Thanks everyone!!! Once i cleaned the needle valve, it slid in and out of the hole with ease. When I put everything back together, it started first kick. There is absolutly no gas leaking out of the carb bowl tube. Gas for everyone!!!