***?? How do I get these bolts out?

I am trying to replace the bent bolts that hold the handlebar risers on the triple-trees. (took a hard crash) I took the top of the clamps off and removed the handlebars. I can get one riser to come out to a point but then it stops, the other is not moving. Any suggestions? 07 DR650SE

Thanks!

I am trying to replace the bent bolts that hold the handlebar risers on the triple-trees. (took a hard crash) I took the top of the clamps off and removed the handlebars. I can get one riser to come out to a point but then it stops, the other is not moving. Any suggestions? 07 DR650SE

Thanks!

How bent are they? Try to apply some lubricant. I just took those mounts off of mine to install new aftermarket bars and mounts. They are in that rubber pretty tight anyways. I put the cap back on and got a 6 inch socket extention between the mount and the cap and carefully twisted back and forth while pulling up at the same time. You may need to rig a puller somehow.

Tighten the nuts back up and cut the bolts off flush with the nuts. This should free the nuts before they reach the bent portion of the bolt. If the bolt is bent in the nut, then you may have to split the nut. This will probably require the removal of the top clamp.

I have a triple clamp on the bench so I went to see what all the fuss is. It looks like the bolts go right thru the anti vibration rubber. You are right, they are TIGHT! I could only get about a 1/4" movement. Obviously a lot of force will be needed to push them thru. If it were me, I would try to let some type of lube soak its way down over night. Thats just a shot in the dark, for all I know your lube of choice might swell the rubber:excuseme: Because I have the clamp off I would soak it in a container of kerosene. I would remove the ignition switch (T40 security bit) just in case. This is only an OPINION! Edit, I cant really see how the bolt would bend below the clamp but cutting the bolt short couldnt hurt.

If all else fails, remove the top tree and using a punch, knock out the bolt from the bottom. If this doesn't work, use a small cutoff wheel in a die grinder and cut the bottom of the bolt off flush with the bottom of the tree, then tap it out. I'm assuming a DR 650?

BIG hammer.

hrrrm.....I have some kerosene in a spray bottle that i use for cleaning my chain..I may go out there and give it a shot or two and leat it soak untill I can get out there tomorrow night. i dunno. It's a beast though. I've been using a hammer and a wedge on the bottom of the bolt and it won't go any farther. I think I may combine two of the suggestions. Break out the dremel and cut the bottom of the bolt off first? it can't hurt, i don't guess.

Thanks so far.

Justin

I don't think I would use kerosene I would use a penetrating oil like WD 40. It seems to me like it should be bent at the top and not at the bottom. I would just grease up the lower part of the bolt. Like I said they are in there tight anyways the first bolt I reinstalled I used a brass punch to drive it in. The second one I lubricated with a little silicone grease and it went right in with no problem

I don't think I would use kerosene I would use a penetrating oil like WD 40. It seems to me like it should be bent at the top and not at the bottom. I would just grease up the lower part of the bolt. Like I said they are in there tight anyways the first bolt I reinstalled I used a brass punch to drive it in. The second one I lubricated with a little silicone grease and it went right in with no problem

I agree, if you're spraying, use WD40. I suggested kerosene for the full clamp soak because its handy er. Your handlebar is toast, right? Why not cut it in half or whatever and reclamp it down, that'll give you some leverage.

believe it or not, handebar is ok. ixnay on the kerosene, WD is better. Got it. Someone on advrider suggested removing the triple-tree. I'm a motorcycle newb, but I'm guessing this is more work than I'm ready to get into. Thoughts?

Justin

Try again in the morning with the it in place. I have a feeling the bolts are bent at the top of the triple clamp and they are just in there tight. I was very surprised that they were in there that tight. The rubber was being compressed by the tightening of the nut and may relax a little overnight. With the lubricant and a little more muscle it should come out. Try twisting the mount like I described to work the lubricant in.

believe it or not, handebar is ok. ixnay on the kerosene, WD is better. Got it. Someone on advrider suggested removing the triple-tree. I'm a motorcycle newb, but I'm guessing this is more work than I'm ready to get into. Thoughts?

Justin

Thats a question only you can answer. I've met people that absolutely should not work on mechanical devices, but they usually know who they are. I trust you have manual.

bolts came out this evening with a little break-free and a BFH. Thanks to all.

Justin

Great! :applause:

BFH.

Works every time :applause: