turbocharged dr650

anybody ever considered tubocharging the 650? there are a couple of turbos that would work like the ihi rhb 3, hitachi , etc.. i understand that the big dr is not the all out performance machine, but it has been done on the honda xr650 with impressive results. i'm not looking to set the world on it's ear i just think it would be a neat project. not looking at making a lot of boost maybe 5 or 6 pounds i think the motor would be plenty strong to handle that. maybe o-ring the head , drop the compression 1 point, etc. i think you could easily ad 15 -20 reliable, if somewhat peaky horsepower. i' ve built my own twin turbo setup for my 97' 12 valve dodge cummins diesel using an hx 40 and a bht3b turbo, and it was challenging but the results were very impressive! it can't be any harder than that was, can it? any thoughts or opinions? thanks:thumbsup:

I've been around turboed Harleys a bit and they in some ways resemble a DR650 X 2. They don't work well because it is a low rpm motor without a lot of exhaust velocity to spin the turbo, and an extremely heavy crank. Seems the more cylinders, the better they work because there are more exhaust expulsions per crank revoultion. Keep us posted, sounds interesting.

Alls I know is turbo charging a single can be trickier than a multi because the charge has nowhere to go while the intake valve is closed unlike a multi where the pressure can bleed to other cylinders. AFAIK, singles have been sucsessfully boosted.

It was on ADV rider i believe or some other forum where a guy had it all explained and pictures for everything, I think the turbo was off a mitsubishi or something. After I think a year or so of him solving problems and such he got it all done and it looked killer don't get me wrong. But on the dyno the bike only gained like another 2-3 Hp. IMHO it wasn't worth it. The only kickass part about the video he had of the dyno and various other street runs was the kick ass sound of the turbo. Try searching ADVrider,

guy named uncle bob on supermotojunkie.com turboed a drz400. It was quite the journey...time, $, blood, sweat, tears, etc. I suggest you read it and go for it if your still interested. IMO the 650 doesn't lend itself well to turbo-charging nor is it worth the time and effort.

well, i might try it any way, just for the challenge i just won a ihi rhb3 turbo on ebay last night and have a ot of 1.5 id stainless u-bends and straight stock plus some 1/2 inch thick stainless plate for the flanges. i turbo'ed my 92' zx11 back in the day, and that seems a lot harder than this . i've got some left over boost referencing fuel regulators and pumps along with some 4 layer 1 3/4 inch silicone hoses and clamps etc. i think i might give it a try , if i'm succesfull i'll try and post some pics. but it might take a while. don't have much extra time these days.

lol good luck...it would be great if you had the time to post your progress along the way. you should definitely register at supermotojunkie.com. In the suzuki section search for turbo drz400, there will be lots of useful information. Sounds like its in your blood.

Tell MX_Rob, He'll be needing once he gets his fuel-injection project done.

Nitrous is cheaper and easier!

well, i might try it any way, just for the challenge i just won a ihi rhb3 turbo on ebay last night and have a ot of 1.5 id stainless u-bends and straight stock plus some 1/2 inch thick stainless plate for the flanges. i turbo'ed my 92' zx11 back in the day, and that seems a lot harder than this . i've got some left over boost referencing fuel regulators and pumps along with some 4 layer 1 3/4 inch silicone hoses and clamps etc. i think i might give it a try , if i'm succesfull i'll try and post some pics. but it might take a while. don't have much extra time these days.

Check out turbo DR400 on You Tube

Bob has a thread here too in regards to the DRZ400 Turbo. They already make a kit for the Yamaha Raptor 660 from Mr. Turbo so I think the DR wouldn't be so bad. The only thing is the DR is aircooled and it would be nice to have that added cooling advantage while doing a turbo application. The cool thing about turbos is you can set them up for whatever powerband you want. Small turbo and piping for quick spooling and good low end power or set it up so the turbo takes over where the stock cam runsout of steam.

Go for it!!!!

thanks for the info on the drz 400. very helpful

i'm a big fan of nitrous also, butit' really not in the same league as turbos and other supercharging methods in my opinion.

mx rob's info on the fcr 39 set up was very helpfull in setting mine up. I just decided to go another way with the mikuni tm 40

thats what i intend to use with the turbo

mx rob's info on the fcr 39 set up was very helpfull in setting mine up. I just decided to go another way with the mikuni tm 40

thats what i intend to use with the turbo

Size-wise, it is smaller and should therefore help with packaging of the system on the bike.

So how'd it end up!!!!!!?!?!?!?!?