FCR pump question.

This post is sort of bucking the trend of o-ring mods and bigger pump squirts etc. But in the slick slimy rooty snotty low speed I get into sometimes think the rush of the pump hit hurts more than it helps.

Has anyone deactivated the AP and just jetted fat on the bottom to cover it? OR how about setting the pump up with "just enough" to cover any bog, but no more.

This post is sort of bucking the trend of o-ring mods and bigger pump squirts etc. But in the slick slimy rooty snotty low speed I get into sometimes think the rush of the pump hit hurts more than it helps.

Has anyone deactivated the AP and just jetted fat on the bottom to cover it? OR how about setting the pump up with "just enough" to cover any bog, but no more.

I've been thinking about the same thing myself. I can say this - I had a clogged accelerator pump and the bike wouldn't run at all - it would bog to the point of literally falling over when I gave it throttle (not just a quick twist either), so jetting to compensate for no AP would probably be quite the experiment, I'd imagine. Reducing the 'squirt' could be accomplished by putting in a larger leak jet.

Go for it, and let me know how you make out.

JayC

thanks Jay, My thoughts are they put too big a carbs on these things to get all the peak power out of them, then cover the pitfalls of over carburation with the pump. Guess a guy could get a handful of leak jets and start going up until it bogs? Maybe even use index'ed drill bits and modify one, then buy the right jet once it figured out? any other ideas guys

just enough pump squirt to elimante the bog is how you tune the ap circuit.

not sure why you want to step back 20 years in technology?

so Ed, how much change in leak jet sizing is noticeable? or how big a step would one take to dial it in? see posts where people didn't notice 50>55 for example. thanks

depends on the bike and how bad the bog is.

the first step is to do the o-ring mod.

thanks, found Jd's ap flow vs. sizing graphs which at least gives me an idea where to start.