08 250 XCF-W Break-in Ride Report

5 truths:

• 5'4.5"
  • 28in inseam
  • 6.75in palm to index finger
  • 7 shoe
  • Previous bike CRF150

Preface:

Previous dirt riding from younger days. Jumped back into the sport when a neighbor started up his thumper in his garage...braap, brapp, braap. I knew I had to get a dirt bike. Several years since riding along with many improvements to bikes and gear I knew I would soon upgrade to a different bike, but didn't want to invest a lot up front. I purchased a new 06 CRF150 (elec start) along with some riding gear. I knew the bike was underpowered for me, but learned to deal with the lack of power and got back into the swing of riding. In the meantime I was searching for the next bike. I purchased an XR400 for my guy as a surprise (he'd never rode dirt and of course i get ride benefits - it lives in my garage). Love the XR, but too tall & heavy for me.

Knowing that I'd have to lower a bike no matter what I kept an open mind. My choice was an 08 250 XCF-W. Aside from the phenomenal reputation of KTM's, other reasoning for this choice was the wide ratio gearing and California green sticker bike.

I made a couple of modifications to the bike:

• Custom suspension set-up & lowering for vertically challenged rider
  • FMF Q4 Exhaust
  • Rejetted
  • EE soft seat
  • Hyde Racing Skid Plate
  • Bullet Proof Designs anodized blk KTM logo radiator guards
  • E line Carbon Fiber heat shield
  • KTM hard parts frame guards

1st impression - I flat out love this bike.

I had to wait several weeks to ride it due to injury, but the first break-in day was great. I had "0" start-up issues. Proper jetting and purchase of a battery tender/charger to make sure the bike had a full charge will make a difference. Started up right off the bat. I love the electric start (kick started first try as well). Slight smoke, but this went away quickly. No popping, except for normal decel. I had the choke on and let it warm up a few minutes. Jumped on, turned off the choke and headed for the flats for the first half of the break in. 1st and 2nd gear are pretty low, but I can see where they come in handy for some really tight stuff. 1st you can almost skip. 3rd seemed to open up a bit more, but top gears really open up for more speed.

Second half of the break in I opened it up a bit more; did some minor hills, careful to not open it up past 50% and not lug or overstrain the motor for long periods of time. I let the engine cool down periodically to ease into the new motor. No radiator issues. This bike loves the throttle. :foul: There's sooo much power. I'm googly-eyed and thankfully not back to 100% so's to hold myself back and not to get too crazy during break in :eek: . This bike has great low end power and plenty on the top. The bike loosened up on the second half of the break in and I imagine the next ride will be even better. Suspension feels good, though I didn't really get to put in through all the paces. KTM's can have harsh suspensions, so my suspension guy made it a bit plusher. Bike is light and agile. Hats off to my suspension guy - I can toe-touch and bike feels good thus far. I should have a better feel for the suspension in the next few rides (I had a lower back injury and can't bang around too much just yet). In the hills, technical trails, this bike will pull you through ANYTHING. No worries about power at all. Will pick up when you need it to; throttle response was quick. Did I say this bike loves the throttle? :eek:

Gave 'er a bath, dried 'er off, and oil change. Did notice that the fluid on the clutch lever leaked a little, but the screws were slightly loose. Took apart, wiped down real good and sealed. Will note for Saturdays 2nd ride.

KTM's: I'm glad I'm a red defector. I'm stoked to have a KTM and thankful I made this choice. I simply love my O'Moto. :eek: I look forward to many rides and converting others - several people eyed the KTM and I actually had one guy ask me if he could ride it. They're itchin' to see what this bike is all about!

A note about the frame guards: Umm, I didn't put them on 'cause like many, I can't recall where the heck I put them. Somewhere in the garage - I was so excited to take 'er for a ride I misplaced them (idiot) :eek: . You'll want on your exhaust side (this also covers the area back to the pipe), especially when standing on the pegs and OTB pants.

:applause::):cry:

:banghead:

Pics in my garage

just to let you know, you should actually be laboring the bike from time to time during break in to get load on the rings so they seal properly, particually since KTM's only use one compression ring as standard.

congrats on the bike being a perfect fit, they're a great bike, my little brother rides an 08 250 EXC-F, feels a little under powered for me, be he loves the thing!

A ride report... from the owner of the bike... that came of a different class of bike. Great stuff :applause:

Great KNuggut! I knew you'd like that bike. Have fun with it but take care of that back. :applause:

just to let you know, you should actually be laboring the bike from time to time during break in to get load on the rings so they seal properly, particually since KTM's only use one compression ring as standard.

I updated my post to better state the break in and your point is well taken. I labored the motor, just didn't rail full throttle up hill in higher gear right off the bat. Minor hill climbs, letting the bike do some decent laboring in a lower gear and not letting the engine lug. Not on training hills.

08 250 XCF-W Break-in Ride Report

Second half of the break in I opened it up a bit more; did some minor hills, careful to not open it up past 50% and not lug or overstrain the motor for long periods of time. I let the engine cool down periodically to ease into the new motor.

:applause:

Performed break in maintenance.

Changing Oil

Gotta love the manual for the "put bike on horizontal" while you're scratching your head. Somewhere I believe there's a post about using an orange safety cone to use to support the bike while draining. Must get industrial one of those for sure...will definitely come in handy.

Pulled oil plug. Nice location, easy access at back of the motor. Checked for particulate matter and found it wasn't too bad (Previous post had me prepared for debris). Oil looked good, still pretty clean.

IMG_1913.jpg

Camera battery kaput. No pics of debris or screens. :banghead:

Screen #1

Pulling Screen #1 - easy location access at bottom front of motor. Pulled Screen #1. Long, narrow in size. A scant more debris, like a fine glitter. Decided I dislike Screen #1 because the instruction manual in its wisdom said to pull Screen and use key like part and tap with hammer to remove. ?? Well, myself and two mechanics couldn't so, cleaned well with break cleaner, blew out w/ air compressor, checked O-rings. 1 needed replacing (could've been from removal attempt mentioned). Added oil for lubrication. Reinstalled. Wiped area clean. Piece o' cake.

Screen #2 wow..TWO screens.

Pulling Screen #2 - Easy access, pull shifter slightly. Pulled Screen #2. About 2x length of #1, wider as well. Measurable debris. Heavier granules. Cleaned thoroughly as above, checked O-rings (good), added lube, reinstalled, wiped clean.

Screen #2 access:

IMG_1926.jpg

Changing Oil Filter

Loosen chain guide hex nut to gain easier access to lower right oil filter nut. Removed oil filter. Wow - nice big oil filter (sorry no pic). Replaced filter, put cover back on, wiped area clean.

IMG_1927.jpg

Refilled (1.1L) w/ Motorex Power Synt 4T 10w/50.

Nice oil level guide window. Can check it warm or cold.

Held in kill switch, used e-start and held it in (10-15 sec) to push/circulate oil thru oil filter and engine. Repeated process. Started engine and let oil circulate; warmed engine. Check oil level window w/ bike on level surface. Good to go..

*Note on the skid plate. Jesus. :applause: I now know why Dances w/ Trees welded front bracket piece on. Friggin' Houdini getting the piece in.

Air Box

Easy access. But take a look at the air box. Wholly smokes. Lots O' room and goes all the way thru. That's the battery on the top right, on left that's the back rim wall off the air filter. After washing there was a little bit of water on the air filter and bottom of air box. Yikes. Took off filter and all was okay. I kind of wish KTM would've made this enclosed, but understand the need for air. Perhaps another layer of filtering/foam material overlaying on the insides of plastics to help with dirt and water spray?

IMG_1924.jpg

And take a look a this...wicked. This is a pic of inside the air box (you can see the rim of where the filter seats) What the heck are the two black holes? Exhaust purposes I think. I'm hoping someone can describe the parts in the shot. I can't believe how much I can see...cool.

IMG_1921.jpg

Air Filter

Took out the filter, wasn't hardly dirty, but I thought it was a little dry personally. I like a nice n' oiled filter (not drippy). I didn't notice much rim grease if any was used, but I use a marine type rim grease to get a good seal. Kind of messy to clean up, but I'd rather have a good seal. Was a little hard to snap this puppy back in, but with a little umph it's not that bad. I DO like the fact that my hands/knuckles don't get nicked.

IMG_1925.jpg

...ready for another ride. :)

Went out again Saturday. Got to push it some more, did some single track. Post to come. LOVE this bike.

:cry:

hmm i think i should change the oil on my bike, been 400k's since the last change.. thanks for the reminder lol

Those 2 holes in the airboot go to jets in the carb. I think ones a low speed air jet and I forget the other.

Those 2 holes in the airboot go to jets in the carb. I think ones a low speed air jet and I forget the other.

Yes they both line up with holes in the carb, just under the throat. The one on the left is the idle air jet. The other one does not have a jet in it, it is just an air intake passage.

Unfortunately I know these things because I plugged them up with mud last weekend and had to disassemble and clean them out.

Yes they both line up with holes in the carb, just under the throat. The one on the left is the idle air jet. The other one does not have a jet in it, it is just an air intake passage.

Unfortunately I know these things because I plugged them up with mud last weekend and had to disassemble and clean them out.

Thanks for the info. It's wild to see such a large open airbox. And thanks for setting me straight on which tubes you guys were talking about. Being so dry out here for most of the year we typically don't run into deep water. Something to keep in mind. I would've loved to see photo's. I hope someone posts pics of re-routing and add-on filter mods people have done.

I've been pinged a couple of times on the bike stand/lift I purchased. I posted it in another thread, but here it is here. Btw, is there a way to merge threads?

BikeStandLift.jpg