Need help with multi-day Cascades ride!!

A group of us are planning a multi-day, camping ride in the Central Oregon Cascades for late July and I could really use some input from the TT community. A few of us are local, but we have friends coming in from So Cal and even as far away as Australia for the ride- so we want it to be :applause::):cry::banghead::foul::eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :bonk: good.

We'd like to do a 2 or 3 (preferably 3) day ride in the 100- 200 mi. range. We'd like to be able to camp by a lake or river each night and are planning on bringing fishing poles to supplement any food we bring.

First choice would be an A to B ride, but would certainly consider a loop too. We were thinking of the either starting or finishing at Big Lake. The other end of the ride and the route are what I really need some advice on. I was thinking of heading to Bachelor or maybe the Sunriver area on the other end.

All of our riders are top notch, so no trail is off limits. At present, not everyone is plated (although we are trying to get that accomplished), so the less pavement the better. We are going to need to get fuel mid-ride, so we'll need to coordinate a fuel drop at a road crossing somewhere.

We are also open to suggestions for other areas. There has been some talk of going farther East in Oregon, maybe around the John Day, but I have ZERO experience in this area and would need a complete hand-hold to coordinate a trip in this area. The Cascades would be choice #1 for the terrain and amazing views, but please bring all suggestions.

Thanks in advance- can't wait to hear what everyone has to say!!

WOW....sounds like tons of fun! hey, come to think of it.....remember me? your long lost friend? you remember dont you? :applause:

Joe

You will really need to do some planning, including being realistic about what kind of riding you want to do. First, every bike needs to be a dualsport to get anywhere. You could plan a route around the 3 Sisters Wilderness, from Big lake thru the Deschutes NFand back thru the Willamette NF. Gravel roads with some highway. I don't think there are any trails. For trails, consider the Wenatchee NF in Washington. You could ride from Little Naches to Cle Elum to Leavenworth and end at Chelan lake. Lots of trail if you plan it right. That may be a bit far. For more trail riding, consider doing a big loop out of Little Naches, Lake Wenatchee or the Blue Lake / Dark Divide area in the Gifford Pinchot. It would be quite feasible to have road support drive around and meet you each day. Late July may be a bit early this year with all the snow. Allow for some detours where late snow drifts (blocks of ice) block the trails or roads. Eastern Oregon would be fine, all gravel or 4WD routes. Do some more research and see what area is going to work for you.

You will really need to do some planning, including being realistic about what kind of riding you want to do. First, every bike needs to be a dualsport to get anywhere. You could plan a route around the 3 Sisters Wilderness, from Big lake thru the Deschutes NFand back thru the Willamette NF. Gravel roads with some highway. I don't think there are any trails. For trails, consider the Wenatchee NF in Washington. You could ride from Little Naches to Cle Elum to Leavenworth and end at Chelan lake. Lots of trail if you plan it right. That may be a bit far. For more trail riding, consider doing a big loop out of Little Naches, Lake Wenatchee or the Blue Lake / Dark Divide area in the Gifford Pinchot. It would be quite feasible to have road support drive around and meet you each day. Late July may be a bit early this year with all the snow. Allow for some detours where late snow drifts (blocks of ice) block the trails or roads. Eastern Oregon would be fine, all gravel or 4WD routes. Do some more research and see what area is going to work for you.

We are aware of the dual-sport issue and are in the process of getting that worked out. That being said, we really want to minimize the road-riding. I got a pm from Humunn and he said there is a route in the area we are looking at. Waiting to make contact with him. I'm guessing maps of the Deschutes and Willamette NF areas be available through the Forest Service? That should probably be step 1.

Thanks for the input.

You're probably going to end up riding alot of forest service roads and old logging roads to connect everything, which are fun in thier own right. Provided that the gates are open you can ride from down by Diamond Peak up to Santiam Pass. Get maps from FS and try and get snowmobile trail maps from a local club as well, alot of the snomo trails are on logging roads. Three Creeks Lake is a good camping spot but bring gear for all kinds of conditions as I've ridden through a snow storm up there before...yes, in July. Also depending on snow runoff some stream crossings can be fairly deep and that water is cold! If its warm out bring lots of bug repellant, the mesquitos can be thick and will treat you like a buffet.

I'm not sure where you're at in Oregon but I'm in Bend and if you need somebody to do some leg work for you over here just shoot me a PM.