core workouts

I will start by saying I have been an avid bodybuilder/powerlifter for ofer 20 years now, also ride all the time. I injured my shoulder weight listing and went to PT for the very first time in my life. They made me do excercise on that yoga ball four about 4 weeks now. I went riding for the first time since doing these excercises today. Holy cr@p what a difference. I am so much stronger, my breathing is controled (which cut my arm pup in half) Forget the free weights and give more different types of "ball" excercises.

Ball pass. Lay on your back, put the ball between your feet and pass the ball to your hands and bring over head and then repeat.

Planks and pilers are also very good for the core.

Good luck!

Whoop

Paul

Ball pass. Lay on your back, put the ball between your feet and pass the ball to your hands and bring over head and then repeat.

thats one of them I have done, the "walk outs" are something else though

I start all of my workouts on the ball. There are many exercises out there designed to strengthen the core so you don't get bored. I too have noticed the improvement in stamina. I need to work on that breathing thing though. Another cool thing about these excercises is you can do them anywhere.

Dont laugh ... but my wife has been dragging me to her Yoga class at the gym. Lots of different positions ... stretch & strength. Great for overall health !

My Wife has been trying to drag me to her Yoga classes. I have been too macho to this point. I ran into an old friend today that said I should try it. He said he as been doing it for several months and it is a great core workout and has improved his flexability quite a bit. He said it seems to have a healing effect on him. I'm going to give it a try.

Yeah, Yoga is for real. Its like an intense work out, where you are stretching and strengthening. But also like a relaxation period, because all of the movements are so fluid. Seriously, yoga is not cool, but it will help your riding

It is VERY good for you. The flexibility will help with your endurance, and how you feel after a HARD moto. Plus the eye-candy can be quite good if you are in the right class ! ; )

thats one of them I have done, the "walk outs" are something else though

Walk outs are good. Have you tried walk out reverses? Start in a plank with ball under shins (all the way walked out), suck knees to wards your chest into a cannon ball position.

Do you do V-ups? Have you heard of the Hot Footed Lizard? Both very good for core but don't use the ball.

Don't give up on the free weights, start doing dumbbell exercises on the ball like bench presses, seated alternating piston arnold presses, T's and Y's, russian twists.

I also went to PT and they had me doing a lot of unilateral cable exercises. One was to take a cable handle at shoulder height, step up and forward onto a step with one leg, and do 3 chest presses on the one side, standing on the one leg before stepping down. One day, I couldn't get into the studio to get a step, so I used a bosu ball. I couldn't stand on one leg, but I certainly noticed a big difference in core soreness while doing one sided cable presses standing on the bosu.

Other favorites for core are turkisk get-ups, and alternating bridge leg raises on the ball. Lie on your back with your feet on the ball. Go up into a bridge, then do alternate leg raises off the ball.

I will start by saying I have been an avid bodybuilder/powerlifter for ofer 20 years now, also ride all the time. I injured my shoulder weight listing and went to PT for the very first time in my life. They made me do excercise on that yoga ball four about 4 weeks now. I went riding for the first time since doing these excercises today. Holy cr@p what a difference. I am so much stronger, my breathing is controled (which cut my arm pup in half) Forget the free weights and give more different types of "ball" excercises.

What do you squat and deadlift? I lift weights because old people lose muscle at about a pound a year after age 50. I'm 61 and squat and deadlift my weight ... 170 lbs. Been at this about 5 years. The weights for me are to promote toughness as well as power and metabolism.

It's easy to hurt yourself if you don't do the exercises properly. I dunno 'bout the balls, my bike is 225 and I can pick it up pretty easy, would they help with that?