CRD rad guards install 07 TE-250

I just got around to installing the CRD rad guards I got from Dan at X-mas.. they went on fine ... One problem though. There is an elctrical connection box or somthing that bolts to the frame near the front right radiator and now it wont fit there..

I'm currently trying to go back into the wire bundle and see if I can find any slack or can I put it behind the radiator and a little lower ?

it's mounted high near the the cables coming off of the handlebars.. anybody know what this is ?

Thanks

Kevin

bump bump

bump bump

Does it matter where this is mounted? I'm thinking of mounting this on one of the rear radiator bolts... Does heat affect this ?

Sorry for all the questions...

I'll call ya tomorrow!! I noticed that the voltage regulator has fins so I'm assuming it's sensative to heat...

bump bump for discussion

It's the voltage regulator. I'm having the same problem with the CRD Braces on my 07 TE450. :) I've spoken with CRD-USA who have forwarded my e-mails to CRD-International. I've also send an e-mail into CRD-International but so far no response. :applause: This has been dragging on now for about 3 weeks. I'm going to give it to the end of this week and if they don't resolve this I'm sending the braces back.

BTW just so you know if you use the older style brace there is no problem with them clearing the voltage regulator.

I ended up mounting the voltage regulator to inside of the right rubber bumpstop for the gas tank. I had to turn it facing inside to do this. So now it's under the tank , the tank fits and it looks pretty sano..

I talked to Dan at MotoXotica about this also, he said his mechanic ran into this on the 07 TE's also but couldn't remember where they mounted it , but didn't seem to think it was any big deal and he couldn't contact his mechanic cause the mechanic was part time.

He did say to make sure it was grounded.. So it's under the fuel tank with a lot of other wires and it seems to be doing ok...

If you want to, send me a pm and I will call you...

I know how frusterating this is...

It's the voltage regulator. I'm having the same problem with the CRD Braces on my 07 TE450. :) I've spoken with CRD-USA who have forwarded my e-mails to CRD-International. I've also send an e-mail into CRD-International but so far no response. :applause: This has been dragging on now for about 3 weeks. I'm going to give it to the end of this week and if they don't resolve this I'm sending the braces back.

BTW just so you know if you use the older style brace there is no problem with them clearing the voltage regulator.

Are you serious, why would you send them back, any mods are a compromise at the best of times and not always a direct fit, it`s like saying that if you bought a 53 T rear sprocket & 15T front, you`d send it back cause the chain doesn`t fit. You would need to modify (lengthen your chain) just like to fit the braces you may need to lengthen the wires to re-position it.

Yes it is heat sensitive, like any elec component, however i relocated it & flasher can - all relays etc into the air filter box on my earlier models, no dramas at all. And the front was tidier & less prone to damage.

Hope it helps.

ps. when cutting/shutting wires, just be sure of resistance values in elec circuits.

I ended up mounting the voltage regulator to inside of the right rubber bumpstop for the gas tank. I had to turn it facing inside to do this. So now it's under the tank , the tank fits and it looks pretty sano..

I talked to Dan at MotoXotica about this also, he said his mechanic ran into this on the 07 TE's also but couldn't remember where they mounted it , but didn't seem to think it was any big deal and he couldn't contact his mechanic cause the mechanic was part time.

He did say to make sure it was grounded.. So it's under the fuel tank with a lot of other wires and it seems to be doing ok...

If you want to, send me a pm and I will call you...

I know how frusterating this is...

I had mounted mine exactly the same way that you did. I removed it since I didn't like the regulator not being heatsinked to the frame when mounted this way.

as far as heat sensitivity, do you think mounting it under the tank is wise ??

I can also mount it behind the radiators on the back radiator mount bold...

Let me know what you guys think...

I just hate cutting wires to lengthen these things....

Are you serious, why would you send them back, any mods are a compromise at the best of times and not always a direct fit, it`s like saying that if you bought a 53 T rear sprocket & 15T front, you`d send it back cause the chain doesn`t fit. You would need to modify (lengthen your chain) just like to fit the braces you may need to lengthen the wires to re-position it.

Yes it is heat sensitive, like any elec component, however i relocated it & flasher can - all relays etc into the air filter box on my earlier models, no dramas at all. And the front was tidier & less prone to damage.

Hope it helps.

ps. when cutting/shutting wires, just be sure of resistance values in elec circuits.

Well I don't quite agree with your comparasion of the sprockets and chain to the bracket. When I buy something I expect it to fit or at least have instructions telling you where to move the regulator to. Why should I have to do their research and development for them? I also don't like the fact that with these braces you have to remove them just to take your valve cover off. If they don't contact me (it's called good customer service) I have no use for their product.

+1 on the valve check issue... I'm starting to realize this is gonna be a mother come valve check time this comin winter

I didn't understand what you meant by heatsinked though:excuseme:

There is a gadget on old Triumphs called a Zenard Diode converts excess

current to heat and via fins radiates it to the air,so you dont boil the battery,they were originally mounted under the headlight in the airstream,

later models had no fins but mounted to the alloy airbox,doppy me pulled the airbox and mounted it to the frame,not enought conductivity to take the heat away and melted half the wiring harness,so anything that has fins should mount with at lest as much assess to the airsteam as it had originally.

Well I don't quite agree with your comparasion of the sprockets and chain to the bracket. When I buy something I expect it to fit or at least have instructions telling you where to move the regulator to. Why should I have to do their research and development for them? I also don't like the fact that with these braces you have to remove them just to take your valve cover off. If they don't contact me (it's called good customer service) I have no use for their product.

Didn`t mean to sound that you should know, but it`s like any aftermarket part, they sell a product that suits the application, I agree would be best if they address all areas, but in defence to that many have already relocated or changed the position of interfering items & i guess they assume (or hide behind) "products to be installed by a qualified person". If you don`t know - don`t touch, which is what you have done and you have asked, unfortunately for some strange reason, no-one could assist you earlier.

pm me if you have any other hassles & i`ll see if i can help.

There is a gadget on old Triumphs called a Zenard Diode converts excess

current to heat and via fins radiates it to the air,so you dont boil the battery,they were originally mounted under the headlight in the airstream,

later models had no fins but mounted to the alloy airbox,doppy me pulled the airbox and mounted it to the frame,not enought conductivity to take the heat away and melted half the wiring harness,so anything that has fins should mount with at lest as much assess to the airsteam as it had originally.

Heat Probe in the airbox showed a 6 deg c increase to that of ambient, remembering too that induction creates air flow, just put it near the vents & you should be right. Close enough to the air temp increase at idle from the exhaust, the one disadvantage in the airbox - dead air space and no breeze to wisk away heat. Much the same as many bikes boil there heads off when guards are fitted & used in Single Trail or snotty 1st 2nd gear hill climbs

So in reading this I guess putting it under the tank isn't a good idea.. Dammit!!!

My only other option is to put it on the left rear radiator bolt (non exhaust side) or cut wires.... what a pain in the ass

+1 on the valve check issue... I'm starting to realize this is gonna be a mother come valve check time this comin winter

I didn't understand what you meant by heatsinked though:excuseme:

A voltage regulator gets warm which is why it has cooling fins and is mounted solidly againest the frame. They do that so that the backside of the voltage regulator transfers heat to the frame. In other words the frame acts as a heatsink (absorbs heat from the regulator). When you mount it the way that we both did using the the tank bumper mount it's now not heatsinked to the frame. It's also no longer in the direct flow of air like it was plus it's now mounted closer to the engine (heat). Maybe that won't turn out to be a problem but I'm not willing to gamble it.

When I melted the wiring on that Triumph it took a couple of weeks,it dont just go poof,it slowly heated and melted the insultaion off the wires to the battery,if you monitored the wiring and looks for excess heat,its a risk though

A voltage regulator gets warm which is why it has cooling fins and is mounted solidly againest the frame. They do that so that the backside of the voltage regulator transfers heat to the frame. In other words the frame acts as a heatsink (absorbs heat from the regulator). When you mount it the way that we both did using the the tank bumper mount it's now not heatsinked to the frame. It's also no longer in the direct flow of air like it was plus it's now mounted closer to the engine (heat). Maybe that won't turn out to be a problem but I'm not willing to gamble it.

Lossen you left (shift side ) radiator and push it through there.... Now you have enough room in front of the left radiator to drill a small hole and put a self tapping metal screw in.. Now your heat sinked and in front of the radiator gettin air flow... Now ..where's my damn drill :applause: