braking before a turn?

i normally always break before a turn but sometimes when i watch the really fast guys it looks like they dont nd some buds tell me they dont. Like a bowl turn or something i carry in with alot of speed but shouldi get on the breaks im not just talking about taping the front to get the bike up but should i use both brakes hard going in or should i try to stay with all the speed it seems kind of hard. also with ruts turns they say carry speed into and let off a lil on the gas and postion yourself. i wanted to know your guys opnion

Normally you will find most of the breaking is done prior to the turn . Just when seperates the novices from the pros . Ive seen "breaking bumps" caused by a pack of really fast guys that lessor skilled riders called whoops. Acceleration and breaking are at the utmost when the bike is verticle on both wheels (the widest part of the tire knobs in contact) Usually ,you will find that your "breaking points" change as your skill increases . Gas / both brakes/ back on the gas . The patch of ground that you are off throttle will become smaller and may even get closer to the actuall corner with experience . About the only time (not written in stone mind you) that you will brake in the turn itself is to SLAM THE DOOR ON SOMEONE..Blockpass.. Time it well- or you will be sitting down on the ground,lol . Im just a regular rider /ex racer so Im sure others have input as well...just thought I leave my .02 Good Luck!

not just to block someone off, but you can also square up a corner t take a tight inside line, etc.

Your only as fast as you can brake. Everyone feels like RC going down a straight but the difference is he drives in much deeper and rolls on the throttle before anyone else. One big key factor for advancing your corner speed is never coast. Your always either on the brakes hard or on the gas. One trick to riding ruts faster though is slighty drag the front brake to a point almost unnoticable. This will help keep the front end from popping out of the rut. Oh yeah and saddle time!!!!!!!!

Your only as fast as you can brake. Everyone feels like RC going down a straight but the difference is he drives in much deeper and rolls on the throttle before anyone else. One big key factor for advancing your corner speed is never coast. Your always either on the brakes hard or on the gas. One trick to riding ruts faster though is slighty drag the front brake to a point almost unnoticable. This will help keep the front end from popping out of the rut. Oh yeah and saddle time!!!!!!!!

+1 on the "never coast" theory.

Now what about the people who come into the corner WFO and lock the back break up untill they feel its time to let off the back break and are back to WOT? I always seem to use my front break alot more than my rear. When i see people locking up the back end and sliding into and half around a berm it makes me think they are eaither out of control or just hoping for the best outcome of sliding into a turn :applause:

The races are won in the corners and Whoops!!! And yes, braking plays a huge role in preventing and or making a pass:thumbsup:

Keep in mind... some turns you should not be braking hard to help keep your speed up; while in other turns you will be trying to out brake everyone else! The key is to identify which turns are which. For example, is railing the outside faster than braking hard and taking the inside? Laptime will tell!

Stepdaddy..That manuver will only pay off when you can occupy a spot that the guy infront is "going" to be in ,and he gets cut-off . Its not a fast way thru an empty turn (no one blocking a line) I used to try and go so deep in turns that I almost always had to slam brakes inside the turn . Got over it when I would get out ran to the next turn due to having to get going from an almost dead stop rather than someone railing a berm, or just leaning in a ruted line around the inside..etc... . Keeping your speed up key in building speed ..

Stepdaddy..That manuver will only pay off when you can occupy a spot that the guy infront is "going" to be in ,and he gets cut-off . Its not a fast way thru an empty turn (no one blocking a line) I used to try and go so deep in turns that I almost always had to slam brakes inside the turn . Got over it when I would get out ran to the next turn due to having to get going from an almost dead stop rather than someone railing a berm, or just leaning in a ruted line around the inside..etc... . Keeping your speed up key in building speed ..

Thanks for the info man, i feel more comfortable comming into a brem, corner, rut fulled turn, a little on the front breaks and not locked up, i understand that certain corners are better off railing better than commming in hot and on the breaks like a crack head...all depening on the situation. I think think if i keep taking corners easy on the front breaks and gassing into and out rather than comming in hot and lockin it up, will benifit my learning

chatter your brake makes you stop way faster there for you can hold it wide open longer, also dot coast when you come into the corner you should brake then as soon as you sit your on the gas and outa the corner. now aplying it is the hard part haha

What is "chatter brake"& "dot coast"?Also whats the deal with NEVER COAST!If I need a foot or two in heavy brake bumps i"ll take it .The suspension works a whole lot better if I pull in the clutch and settle the bike.Now this aint every corner either ,but out here in AZ we don't have much loam and alot of hardpack.And a handfull of throttle out of a corner on some tracks will get you spun out or highsided.I watch alot of MX and theory and reality of cornering are sometimes at odds.The whole "all brake or all throttle"thing seems like some ego crap.Could be all wet but if I can get through whatever corner by checking my speed with my brakes ,coast the brake chop in the rut then hit the throttle.Can't that possibly be as fast in SOME situations?I'm mean it;s 400lbs of forward momentum.I come from DH mtn.bike racing where all of this is MUCH more important racing against the clock.I dunno,so many of the top riders ride "wrong" .Really, Kevin Windham should have won every race ever, according to the "experts" of technique.And Villipoto seems to get by with staring at his crossbar pad.Well .....this apparently was a rant....