"stock" DR650SE biggest pros / cons ?

Hi hawgman94,

Regarding the mechanical issues you asked about, some have had the upper chain roller break loose and take a piece of the frame with it, which is what mx_rob was referring to.

There has been an issue reported regarding the neutral safety switch coming loose and making for loose parts in the crankcase.

For some history on the DR: there were cylinder base gaskets that leaked, but that was fixed around 2004. There were some grenading crankcases for about one model year, around a decade ago.

These aren't "must fixes", just things I've read about on Thumpertalk that I think you want to know about. I have about 7,000 miles on my 2006 with no problems. I don't even mind the seat (but I usually don't ride more than about half an hour without stopping.) I mostly ride blacktop and gravel roads. I really like my DR650. They don't make many simple general-purpose motorcycles anymore. I lowered mine, which is a factory option.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought an '04 DR650 and had a blast on it. They're real friggin fast stock. Tons of torque. Mine had the Gel seat on it also, but I sold that thing and put the stock one back on. The Gel is no more comfortable and makes the seat a little too low for my taste.

First time I took it off the trail though...bad news. The wilderness beckons me every time I go out and the DR didn't want to take me there. I bottomed it out twice on rocks and the semi-dirt tires are pretty slippery when things get nasty. It's pretty though. Very sharp looking bike. I just wanted to make a little too much trouble for the DR650. I sold it and got a '98 XR650L. Now I can go anywhere/do anything and I'm lovin it. The only compromises are a bit less power on the XR and a bit more vibration from the engine. Neither is noticable to me anymore though. Small prices to pay for the freedom.

Its too bad you didn't fix the suspenders and get decent tires, I like my DR better than my 2 buddie's XR650Ls and its not just that I am 5'7" either. I have a better looking, better street performing, OIL and air cooled, and competent off-roader.?

Its too bad you didn't fix the suspenders and get decent tires, I like my DR better than my 2 buddie's XR650Ls and its not just that I am 5'7" either. I have a better looking, better street performing, OIL and air cooled, and competent off-roader.?

The ground clearance was a big problem for me. I really didn't like the sound of rocks slamming into the block. Some big dollars spent would have helped no doubt, but just getting the right bike for the job was even better.

The XR is rowdy and spry. I like that. She's a mean beast...more my kinda thing as apposed to the more comfy and refined DR. I'll never talk bad about the DR650 though...not a bad bike at all, just different.

I have been waiting a couple years to buy a DS bike as a second bike. Had seriously looked at KLR650, but when the '08 came out and still had the ("improved but still present" )-DOOHICKEY PROBLEM after 20 yrs and a makeover-that did it for me ! As for other options in the class and price range...XR650L is too "dirtbike" as 80% will be commute bike. So for me it's lookin' like a new DR650se this spring. ---So in stock form...What are the biggest pro's and con's about owning this bike??? Are there any known "MUST FIX" problems ...(like the klr-doo...etc.) ???...--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Thanks in advance for your help !!!

- Get insurance, a disc-lock with alarm, and a 12-15ft braided cable to lock it to something secure whenever you park. A 300lb D/S is easier to throw in a van/truck than a 400-500lb sportbike.

- Grease all lube points.

- Threadlocker all appropriate fasteners and make sure they're torqued to spec.

- Remove the upper chain roller and plug the hole with a threadlocked set-screw.

- Remove as much of the clutch and sidestand safety-switch crap as possible.

- Drill the levers and/or get some good handguards.

- Rapid break-in, run it a few miles, and then change the oil.

There may be a few other things, like that neutral safety switch or some filters, but it should be covered under warranty. The rest (weight-shaving, seat, tank, suspension, tires, bars, engine airflow, etc.) you can pretty much do at your leisure, as your wants dictate. It's an extremely versatile bike.

OK so to recap....DR650 is a great dual sport....biggest con = seat sucks.__ All bikes have some flaw, but it's good to know this one is not mechanical ! So where do you buy a Renazco seat ? and how much $ ?

Hawgman,

The Renazco is 100% the way to go. Buy the used DR seat from Bucho, fill out the form at www.renazco.com, what you'll get back is the best single mod you can make to the DR. Next read all the threads here and at the yahoo DR650 site and at advrider.com. It's what I did and I can tell you there isn't a greater bunch of folks than those who love their DR's. The help and advice I gotten has saved me $$$$$$ and hours trying to make the right choices on how to make my DR what I wanted it to be. I bought an 08 and it's the best 5K I've ever spent:applause:

OK guys...I went to the local suzi dealer and they had (1) DR650SE in the house. A new '07 leftover. So I thro a leg over. At 6'2" the height seems ok for me...but at 240 Lbs. the suspension said "GET OFF FAT @SS ". I am aware the DR650 setup is soft...but can you adjust the suspension to be usable for a guy my weight...or are we talkin' springs front/back and or a shock?? and how much $$$ are we talkin' ?? ?

OK guys...I went to the local suzi dealer and they had (1) DR650SE in the house. A new '07 leftover. So I thro a leg over. At 6'2" the height seems ok for me...but at 240 Lbs. the suspension said "GET OFF FAT @SS ". I am aware the DR650 setup is soft...but can you adjust the suspension to be usable for a guy my weight...or are we talkin' springs front/back and or a shock?? and how much $$$ are we talkin' ?? ?

You will need springs for sure. Front $100 rear $130. ?

I've talked to many KLR650 owners and the #1 grievance in buying a new KLR is Doohickey dread.

?

I never worried about mine, but I only put 25k miles or so on my klr. I personally think the doohickey deal is a little overblown by internet nerds. It's not like crf valves or something that 75% of owners will certainly experience within the first year, lol.

The DR650 in stock form seems pretty free of even exaggerated concerns tho. It's not nearly as comfortable for long road trips or 2-up riding as the klr, but it can actually be ridden in real off-road situations, so that makes up for it in my opinion.

Pretty bullet proof bike. There is the issue of the lower cylinder gasket leak on the pre 2004 650. Since you are going newer, not an issue. It is still an easy fix with silicone for 2003 and earlier 650s if you catch it early enough. Also don't forget the ability of the DR to be able to lower the seat height. KLR is OK bike for on road, just feels front heavy, and the XR650L is a really tall feeling bike that is nowhere near the dirt bike the R is and is not as good on the street as the DR.

KLR is OK bike for on road, just feels front heavy, and the XR650L is a really tall feeling bike that is nowhere near the dirt bike the R is and is not as good on the street as the DR.

All true, but when you want a ride to charge through ANY terrain and still have all the creature comforts of a street bike (electric start, full lighting, comfy seat) you want the XR650L.

Dual sports are always a compromise, none of them do everything. If if they could, we'd have Honda Goldwings rippin off 100ft triples and slicing through the woods like a KTM mxc250. It just depends which direction you'd like to lean.

2 or 3 hundred for springs ain't so bad....where is the best place to buy 'em and how big of a job to install ?

I consider it easy if you have a reasonable level of technical ability (about the level of changing a car starter). Need to be able to get the back tire off the ground. Hardest part for me was to get the adjustment nut back in place since I didn't have the right wrench; I used a hammer and screwdriver. Probably took about 2 hrs but I work pretty slow.

I weight on the high side of 225 and rode the bike for about six months without changing the spring and found I bottomed out a good bit when hitting potholes or dips in the road. Wouldn't recommend off-roading it without changing the springs at my weight. The springs I put on are much better then stock and I am very pleased with the ride now.

If you do decide to ride it a bit before replacing the spring (especially if you lower it) you may want to remove the upper chain roller.

All, I just got me a -99 and can say that the front springs are a bit weak on the trail, but 20 mins to work for commuting it is perfect. Just had T63´s and a nice skid plate fitted to make it easier to take that trail into the woods in the weekend. I am a little worried about the range as the tank is not that large, will consider a larger one. Except for that a nice bike that I will try to beat the h-ll of, and I do not miss the o´ll DR350´s kicking and kicking....

• 2 months later...
I bought an '04 DR650 and had a blast on it. They're real friggin fast stock. Tons of torque. Mine had the Gel seat on it also, but I sold that thing and put the stock one back on. The Gel is no more comfortable and makes the seat a little too low for my taste.

First time I took it off the trail though...bad news. The wilderness beckons me every time I go out and the DR didn't want to take me there. I bottomed it out twice on rocks and the semi-dirt tires are pretty slippery when things get nasty. It's pretty though. Very sharp looking bike. I just wanted to make a little too much trouble for the DR650. I sold it and got a '98 XR650L. Now I can go anywhere/do anything and I'm lovin it. The only compromises are a bit less power on the XR and a bit more vibration from the engine. Neither is noticable to me anymore though. Small prices to pay for the freedom.

I love real-life reviews. I get more out of this short coment than two pages of biased magazine reading that will focus on crap like "this bike has better tires," or they gripe about a set of handle bar grips or something, when all in all you WILL change your tires if you keep your bike. And you WILL buy the bike you want even if the tires and handle bar grips aren't want you want, as long as the bike is what you want.

Good comment cornelieaz.

i agree with the rest of these tt,ers.however,at some point you may want to make some of the mods you,ll read about here on tt.dyno jet kit,air box mod,and posssible muffler swap for performance .or as was said,let it be,and ride the wheels off it.....enjoy

I love real-life reviews. I get more out of this short coment than two pages of biased magazine reading that will focus on crap like "this bike has better tires," or they gripe about a set of handle bar grips or something, when all in all you WILL change your tires if you keep your bike. And you WILL buy the bike you want even if the tires and handle bar grips aren't want you want, as long as the bike is what you want.

Good comment cornelieaz.

My pleasure...glad you found it useful.

Careful around here guys. Spend too much time reading and not so much riding and the peer pressure will have you convinced you'll need to spend your life savings to have a capable machine. Info is good, just don't forget that your own experience is your wisest advisor. ?