"stock" DR650SE biggest pros / cons ?

I have been waiting a couple years to buy a DS bike as a second bike. Had seriously looked at KLR650, but when the '08 came out and still had the ("improved but still present" )-DOOHICKEY PROBLEM after 20 yrs and a makeover-that did it for me ! As for other options in the class and price range...XR650L is too "dirtbike" as 80% will be commute bike. So for me it's lookin' like a new DR650se this spring. ---So in stock form...What are the biggest pro's and con's about owning this bike??? Are there any known "MUST FIX" problems ...(like the klr-doo...etc.) ???...--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Thanks in advance for your help !!!

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi hawgman,

you couldn't pick a better bike dr650, i found that the suspension was alittle soft for me(i'm 110kgs so that had alot to do with it), to fix that i put new front springs in .52 rear went to 8.2kg,total new bike after that, that cost me 450aus, also play with the power there is alittle to had with reading the forums, i have a tm40 on the way from jeff(procycle) have a chat with him he'll point you in the right direction..

cheers have fun tony.....

I have been waiting a couple years to buy a DS bike as a second bike. Had seriously looked at KLR650, but when the '08 came out and still had the ("improved but still present" )-DOOHICKEY PROBLEM after 20 yrs and a makeover-that did it for me ! As for other options in the class and price range...XR650L is too "dirtbike" as 80% will be commute bike. So for me it's lookin' like a new DR650se this spring. ---So in stock form...What are the biggest pro's and con's about owning this bike??? Are there any known "MUST FIX" problems ...(like the klr-doo...etc.) ???...--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Thanks in advance for your help !!!

Great choice, The DR650 is a very reliable low maintenance bike. It cruises smoothly at 70 to 75mph tops out over 100mph. The Trailwing tires it comes with are actually pretty decent they stick very well. It's great on the twisties. The stock seat sucks and it should come with a little better performance and a FCR Carb. The DR been around for a long time and I believe most of the bugs have been worked out. As for a daily commuter I really have no experience with it as my commute is 5 miles one way. If I had a longer commute I suppose it would be fine but I would probably choose my DL650 Vstrom which is also a great bike IMHO. Which bike is more fun for me to ride and I had to choose between my 2 bikes it's the DR650 no doubt about it.

I have always heard good things bout the dr650...I wasted alot of time researching the KLR, its just not for "me". Glad to hear someone that actually owns one to tell me "no worries"...or ""no must fixes"...also "low upkeep" or "dependable"......That's the kinda stuff you wanna hear about your new bike. I've talked to many KLR650 owners and the #1 grievance in buying a new KLR is Doohickey dread. Some see it as a "right of passage", while others will tell you that -"it's no big deal". $5000 isn't alot of money for a new bike these days, but if you have to rip the side of the motor apart fresh out of the wrapper to feel safe on your new bike.....i'm sorry but....THAT'S A BIG DEAL !!!

My commute is only 26 miles round trip, but I won't cry about getting a new seat. Corbin the best ? What about the "suzuki" gel seat ? Also, what problem does the upper chain roller cause ? ----Don't mean to be a dummy, I just have not owned a chain drive bike in MANY years.

The Renazco has a great following but there are a number of folks who like their Corbin as well. Some fitment issues with the Corbin and the front clip attachment point have been complained about. Weight is another issue I've seen posted on the Corbin... but it's way better on the posterior than is the OEM seat. It seems to be a bit wide at the front so trail riding with it causes some to complain. Depending on how you will be using it this may not be of concern. The Renazco is using your seat base so without a spare seat you are going to have to stand for awhile. ? The Suzuki gel seat has very few good marks from what I've seen posted.... it also is shorter. Good for some and not so much for others. Based on what I've seen posted it doesn't help that much in the comfort department. :applause:

My commute is only 26 miles round trip, but I won't cry about getting a new seat. Corbin the best ? What about the "suzuki" gel seat ? Also, what problem does the upper chain roller cause ? ----Don't mean to be a dummy, I just have not owned a chain drive bike in MANY years.

mine came with the gel seat when i bought it.

it was unacceptable for me. have a stock seat now & it sucks but not nearly as bad as the gel did.

I think the DR is a great "street bike". For the first two years I rode mine primarily as a street bike. I eventually went the motard route with mine.

For street riding and light offroad I think a stock bike is fine. I personally would suggest at least a rejet. For such a cheap mod I feel its worth it.

If you do go the Renazco seat route and don't want to be stuck w/out your seat. I have a spare seat that I'd sell for cheap.

(My wife finally got me a Renazco for Christmass) and its awesome.

You don't even have to go with a new bike. From 96 on it is basically the same bike. I have a 97 and have had no "must fix" issues. I probably do 90% commuting (6 mi ea way to work) and have absolutely no complaints. Even the seat doesn't bother me.

From my perspective the first item to change was the rear spring as I weight about 220 and the rear shock would bottom out over pot holes. Jetting would be next. But neither have to be changed.

Got a Harley? I have several along with a GSXR 750 that I used to roadrace, a Buell S1, a few others and a DR650. I've owned over a 100 bikes and less than than 250 since 1965 and I must say the '06 DR650 is one of the best if not one of the most enjoyable bikes I've ever owned. It would be my choice if I could only have one. The overall build quality is superb as is reliability, overall road manners, ease of handling, agility and everything else is great.

One of it's best features as far as I'm concerned is its simplicity and low tech everything. It may not do any single thing better than any other bike but it does everything very well and I assure you, once you ride one it will be your favorite.

My only complaint, and it's been said before, is the seat is not terrific. Rather than a Corbin, I would recommend refoaming and making the stock on wider as has been described on this forum. Go with the DR, you won't look back.

Freeway commuting must have is a short windscreen. Wind blast at 70mph enough to pull hands off grips. Personally I find the grips too narrow. Forces me to grip too hard, hands cramp up in 10 minutes.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ossiander-52/sets/72157600512529153/

Must do - adjust carb.

I haven't had any problems with wind blast, personally. I swapped out handlebars. I use the Renthal 7/8 ATV "Quadracer" bend and trimmed them down to an overall length of 29.5", and I have a Kaoko throttle control too. It allows me to move my hands further in when I'm cruising.

DR650Feb2008003.jpg

BigNick....I do have a Harley. '94 FLHTCU. Some might wonder why not commute on the electraglide ??...The Glide is cumbersome in rush hour also, I'm thinking the dr650 will put the "fun" back in riding for me. The Glide is the "Caddy" of motorcycles but, they only lean so far. LOL But I will keep my hawg for me and the old lady's weekend adventures !

BigNick....I do have a Harley. '94 FLHTCU. Some might wonder why not commute on the electraglide ??...The Glide is cumbersome in rush hour also, I'm thinking the dr650 will put the "fun" back in riding for me. The Glide is the "Caddy" of motorcycles but, they only lean so far. LOL But I will keep my hawg for me and the old lady's weekend adventures !

I don't have a lot of experience on bigger cruiser type bikes; however, I can say I just prefer the smaller/lighter DR 650 over a cruiser. The big bikes are OK and comfy; however, the DR is just more fun to me especially the feeling of maneuverability.

:applause: Great commuter! I have had mine for just under a year now and 12,000+ miles so far. The stock seat is great for trails and short hops (under 50 miles) in my opinion. I bought an Alaska Leather butt pad which was an improvement, now have the Corbin...love it! Mine was too lean at first, but that is an easy fix. I have owned a number of bikes over the years and I don't think that you can find a more competent,versatile, practical or fun bike at any price, let alone the price of a DR! Good luck!

I can honestly say that if I can kill my 97, I'll get another new one. It's that ood of a bike. Like some other experienced riders have stated, I used to appraise used bikes for a local shop that came in on trades or the shop purchased outright, also in the service department of the same dealer, test riding to make sure repairs were fixed properly and no others were required, as well as taking home the used bikes that were for sale to keep them from sitting too long. This equates to riding just about everything on the market and I'm proud to say that the DR650SE is still one of my favorite motorcycles of all time. Seeing it in the garage puts a smile on my face. Taking it for a ride, long, short, street, or dirt....puts a smile on my face. Getting off the bike after the ride gives me that grin that I own the right bike.

I bought an '04 DR650 and had a blast on it. They're real friggin fast stock. Tons of torque. Mine had the Gel seat on it also, but I sold that thing and put the stock one back on. The Gel is no more comfortable and makes the seat a little too low for my taste.

First time I took it off the trail though...bad news. The wilderness beckons me every time I go out and the DR didn't want to take me there. I bottomed it out twice on rocks and the semi-dirt tires are pretty slippery when things get nasty. It's pretty though. Very sharp looking bike. I just wanted to make a little too much trouble for the DR650. I sold it and got a '98 XR650L. Now I can go anywhere/do anything and I'm lovin it. The only compromises are a bit less power on the XR and a bit more vibration from the engine. Neither is noticable to me anymore though. Small prices to pay for the freedom.