California Resident Street Legal

Has anyone attempted or successfully plated a CRF250X ( > 2004) for street legal use? Sometimes after school I come home, sit on the bike in the garage just wanting to ride the damn thing. It'd be great if I could street legal the beast just to jam around the block here and there.

i want to do the same thing. has anyone done it?

If anyone has, they are not likely to tell you here how they did it.

Forget about it. It cannot legally be done and if you try it will cost several hundreds of dollars and still not be legal. There are some smoking deals on street bikes right now. If you want to ride on the street, buy a street bike.

buy a husqvarna or ktm dualsport, that's your only option out there now, if you need a dirt bike with plates

time to move mines legal in NH all we need to have is headlight, taillight, brake light, horn, mirror, and supposed to have dot rated tires but i have never had a issue. my dad also has 125 gas gas street legal to.

ya ... not gonna happen OP.

ur gonna have to go with a drz400, wr250, husky, ktm or aprilla....

or just do what i did... save the CRF250X for the dirt, and grab a legit street bike... got my 2004 honda 919 for $4k @ 3600mi. :ride: ... i come home from a ride on the 919 get on the 250 and go... wheres the power!

Has anyone attempted or successfully plated a CRF250X ( > 2004) for street legal use? Sometimes after school I come home, sit on the bike in the garage just wanting to ride the damn thing. It'd be great if I could street legal the beast just to jam around the block here and there.

Go get a early 80s XL500 for $800 to rub one off with every now and then after school. There's a ton of early 80s XLs on Craigslist.

Ride big heavy slow (and quiet) bikes during the week and be a hero on your 250X on the weekend.

And anyway, you're going to kill your 250X riding it on the street and like others said, in California it's a lost cause.

It can be done no problem.

It's easy!

It's called a 'Special Construction Re-VIN'.

1. Strip the bike down to the rolling frame and motor.

2. Take it to the DMV and change the status to 'Salvage'

3. Request a new VIN tag, as 'Special Construction Project'

4. Put on a DS lighting system that works with the motor not running

5. Get a lighting inspection

6. Get a DMV VIN verification inspection

7. Request a 343 form Variance, due to the new SC VIN tag

8. Go back to the DMV again for another 'rolling / operating inspection'

9. Re-register the bike as a 'Dual Registration": CA plate and Green sticker

10. Pay dual registration every year

That's it. Nice a simple. Piece of cake.

It will only take you about 3-4 months to do it, and several days off from work.

No bureaucracy here in California, no sir.

Now, if you pay yourself $ 20.00 per hour to do the above project, by the time you are done you be 1/4 of the way to a used KTM EXC, TE450, Beta RS, Sherco, etc, etc.

DSCN0004.jpg