Decent tires for a Sportsman

Thought I'd give this SuperMoto thing a try this summer. In short I want to keep the cost down by just getting the tires only for the stock 21" and 19" on the CRF450. My real forte is racing harescrambles but I'm game to try something new. If I like it maybe I'll buy a second bike just for supermoto but for now I wish to keep it cheap and simple.

Things to consider are that the track in Circleville OH is a asphalt and dirt. I just couldn't imagine trying to get through a dirt section on slicks. There is some talk being thrown around for building a asphalt/dirt course about 5 miles from my house and thus my interest in the sport.

I was running a set of avon distenzia's on my wr they are not bad I also had some pirelli scorpions at's I pulled them off because they were a bit too narrow for my taste. I would at least get a 320mm rotor for you front mine is kind of sketchey with out it .

Can we just run a 110/80-19, which is made as a front, on the rear stock rim? What is the yamaha stock rim width?

Try the search feature , this topic comes up often . There should be quite a bit of useful info that you can find without having to wait for individual responses .

Try the search feature , this topic comes up often . There should be quite a bit of useful info that you can find without having to wait for individual responses .

:cry: I already tried the search feature. Only thing I found was off topic of what I was asking.:) Probably should have mentioned that before.:applause:

Kylelind got a good question about running a front as the rear tire. Like to hear more about that.

Be honest. How cheap do you want to go and how much does brand image affect you? On my old WR400 I ran a Chen Shin :applause: Barracuda and a different Chen Shin model on the other end but I don't remember what it was. Shipped to my house they cost me under I think it was $80. I'm not made of money and just wanted to try supermoto to see if I really wanted to put more money into it. I didn't want to drop $200 on tires for an experiment. Bottom line was they gripped very well for what they were (cheap skinny tires) and I can honestly say that I ran about an average speed with the pack with most on more serious machines. Certainly I'm not a pro rider but I'm not a novice rider either but it was my first time with supermoto. I had so much fun on it, I sold the WR, built a new CRF450 supermoto and am hooked. By the way, I eventually sold the Chen Shin's for $40 used with probably about 60 to 70 laps on them.

Be honest. How cheap do you want to go and how much does brand image affect you? On my old WR400 I ran a Chen Shin :applause: Barracuda and a different Chen Shin model on the other end but I don't remember what it was. Shipped to my house they cost me under I think it was $80. I'm not made of money and just wanted to try supermoto to see if I really wanted to put more money into it. I didn't want to drop $200 on tires for an experiment. Bottom line was they gripped very well for what they were (cheap skinny tires) and I can honestly say that I ran about an average speed with the pack with most on more serious machines. Certainly I'm not a pro rider but I'm not a novice rider either but it was my first time with supermoto. I had so much fun on it, I sold the WR, built a new CRF450 supermoto and am hooked. By the way, I eventually sold the Chen Shin's for $40 used with probably about 60 to 70 laps on them.

Sounds like you started out the same way I want to start. Just tires for now. I've already got some $5 safety wire and a set of 13/48 sprockets. I know that isn't really the best ratio but it's better than the 14/51 sprockets I run for harescrambles and the 13/48 does clock out at 85.7mph with a GPS. Not worried about brand or image. Once the bike is rolling you can't read the brand name and like you said two hundred is a bit much to just experiment. I've been riding since I was 7 so experience isn't an issue. Finding a smoother form of racing is an issue for these old bones. If I like it then the CRF450 gets converted and I'll buy another bike for just trail riding.

Saw your other post in the other place.

The 19 inch rear is a bad thing. As far as I know there are no 19 inch rear tires that are made for a rear wheel. I don't think that the front tires are made for the torque that is seen on a rear wheel. I'll guess that they are lighter duty. That said, I'm sure that some have done this.

If you are going to go the cheap tire route, do not get the Barracuda. About the best low cost tires that I have used are the Cheng Shin Hi-Max. Way better than the Barracuda. The Barracuda didn't have nearly the grip. I've also used Kenda K657's and they were OK. If you want a good tire get the Avon's mentioned earlier.

Can we just run a 110/80-19, which is made as a front, on the rear stock rim? What is the yamaha stock rim width?

my wr 450 has a 21 and a 18 in the rear it has a 2.15 rear rim width . I have my old sportsman rims and tires for sell right now if you guy's are looking to swap back and forth it's the way to go I was running 15/48 gearing

The Hi-Max was what I used on one end of the bike. Can't remember which end it was. Also, I had an 18" rear wheel on the WR so it helped with tire choices. You are doing exactly what I did. I just picked up a YZ250 for trail riding. My personal advice is if you ever rode sport bikes and liked it, you can skip the sportsman setup and go straight to converting your CRF. The CRF is going to give your rear tire more of a workout than my WR could. Trust me, you'll won't regret it. My local track doesn't open the dirt section for practices but it's okay. One less bike to wash and I still have a GREAT time.

You might try looking into tires made for flattrack/dirttrack use . They work quite well on pavement and also on hardpacked dirt/clay .

If they come in your size, Avon Grippsters are the best I've found. Well worth the money.

track_3.jpg

Track_2.jpg

Best 80/20 tire I've used. Have a decent life too.

There goes Bigg with his dragging knee on a DOT tire'd DR. That picture pretty much rules.

I just ordered up a set of Avon Distanzia's for my DR. :smirk:

Thought I'd give this SuperMoto thing a try this summer. In short I want to keep the cost down by just getting the tires only for the stock 21" and 19" on the CRF450. My real forte is racing harescrambles but I'm game to try something new. If I like it maybe I'll buy a second bike just for supermoto but for now I wish to keep it cheap and simple.

Things to consider are that the track in Circleville OH is a asphalt and dirt. I just couldn't imagine trying to get through a dirt section on slicks. There is some talk being thrown around for building a asphalt/dirt course about 5 miles from my house and thus my interest in the sport.

21" & 19" tires are hard to find,Dunlop K180 3.00x21 on a 1.60 rim will work

and its made for front,while Maxxis DTR-1 27.5x7.5x19"(CD-5)which is made for rear,aaracing has rear,but no fronts:cry: and there reasonable in price,

but no fronts:cry: did you think to consider Avon Roadrider AM26,they make a front and rear(same tread pattern on both)in correct size's that might work for sportsman class,I'm seriously considering these tires,but need more input.

Sounds like you started out the same way I want to start. Just tires for now. I've already got some $5 safety wire and a set of 13/48 sprockets. I know that isn't really the best ratio but it's better than the 14/51 sprockets I run for harescrambles and the 13/48 does clock out at 85.7mph with a GPS. Not worried about brand or image. Once the bike is rolling you can't read the brand name and like you said two hundred is a bit much to just experiment. I've been riding since I was 7 so experience isn't an issue. Finding a smoother form of racing is an issue for these old bones. If I like it then the CRF450 gets converted and I'll buy another bike for just trail riding.

13/48 should be fine at circleville. From what I have been told, its an old go cart track with some dirt added to it, so im sure your not gonna be going much more then 85mph.

IM thinking about getting some tires for my rm250 and going down to circleville totry it out sometime myself.

Nice thread, I just got some extra rims with kendas on them, should be getting them next week. cant wait to try it.