04 DR650 Knock when shutting down

Hey, brand new to me, VERY clean 04 DR 650. Stock 'cept for Corbin and dyna-jet kit.

Bike runs and looks amazing.

Sometimes when I shut the bike off, I get a rather loud knock. Other times, I get what sounds like maybe the idler gear spinning down?

The knock concerns me. If it is normal, then cool, but if it is a problem, I would like to sort it out before the worst happens.

Thanks for the responses.

Steve

Yeah, I had read that (or something close) before, but I thought it was only on the '98 and early '99s that had the problem.

Are you saying they all do that and the '98 and early '99s were WORSE? Dang, that would really mess with my head.

WRW, does your '08 do that?

Yes it sometimes makes noise when I shut down. I don't think the torque limiter gets rid of all the noise just the consequences if you didn't have it.

Yeah, I had read that (or something close) before, but I thought it was only on the '98 and early '99s that had the problem.

Are you saying they all do that and the '98 and early '99s were WORSE? Dang, that would really mess with my head.

WRW, does your '08 do that?

Any big single cylinder fourstroke can do this... how much and what the concequences are is based on how the engine was designed. Worse case senario mega kick backs require the torque limiter to protect the engine from damage. The 98 and early 99's don't have this protection device. Suzuki must have felt the exact combination required for the mega kick back was too remote to bother including the torque limiter in 98. They found out that they were off in their "remoteness calculations" :applause:

Thanks for your speedy replies. I feel a lot better.

Steve

yes its normal, my TTR did the same thing. If you happen to turn it off and the engine stops spinning when not on the compression stroke it'll just stop without any noise. If it stops on the compression stroke (I think) it forces the crank backwards so you hear a knocking sound