Ignition Box Information/question

Just an interesting tidbit for those who have messed with the ignition boxes.

I parted out an E model last summer. In doing so certain (okay lots of) choice parts found their way onto my S. :applause:

I installed the E ignition box and never thought much about it. Now bear in mind it "should" have a rev limit of 10,500 rpm now. I am aware there are no other differences, and yes it is an E box.

Flash forward I installed a vapor last month and recently had the oportunity to go mess about. I have noticed after tagging the rev limiter hard (as usual) the Vapor shows a max rpm of 9910. This is with the pickup at the coil as opposed to using induction, which really shouldn't matter.

Question is anyone either checked the E boxes or the Vapor against a calibrated source? It is outside the variance trailtech quotes so I assume it is the box. Bear in mind I really don't care about the difference, the E box was not anticipated to make any "real" difference anyway. At least I now know I AM getting 10K rpm.

Ositech, Bronco, Eddie, I know you guys have played with some aftermarket boxes. Any info on this? (variance or whatever)

Just a FYI. In my SM, the max rpm as recored in my data logger was 9975. On my Vapor, it shows the same as a max.

I have the RPM for the data logger coming directly from the pulser in the stator, the Vapor get its' signal from the coil white wire.

i have found a slight variance in oem boxes.

you will also find they way the rev limiter comes in is different.

the S/SM box seems to start cutting spark more gradually than the E boxes.

very few DRZ's out there can actually use any extra rpm over 10,000 rpm any way.

I've got HC stage 2 FCR and Muzzy so it breathes as well as it can short of turning it over to you Eddie.

I was just curious if anyone else had measured them somewhat accurately. I messed so much with mine over 6 months I couldn't tell the difference. I thought it gained but with something like the vapor no real way to tell. I assume it is better (more rpm) than the S box.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Markl5557
      Anyone’s air box smell like gas ? Is this normal ? Air filter is bone dry but it reeks in there .... I’m assuming cause of the carb being semi filled with gas ??
    • By Markl5557
      So I’m reading these horror stories of the stock vacume operated petcocks failing and letting gas into the oil .... how many of you guys switched over and is it worth it to switch to manual ?
    • By Markl5557
      Hey guys . I feel like I post here way to much lol 

anyway after having my bike kn it’s side overnight to fix a cracked stator cover .... I come to find out that I also accidentally left the pet cock in the prime position .... constant gas flow to carb ... now my oil smells strongly of gas ... my question is ... was it the bike being on its side that made the gas get into the oil or the prime position on petcock that made this happen ? Or both ? I didn’t ride it much at all after discovering... I assume. I should drain the oil obviously but any other suggestions ? Always appreciated -mark 
    • By Praneeth143
      Hello guys , I have a suzuki drz400sm which is a 2009 model recently I purchased a rear sprocket which was a JT 41T , but I found that it did not fit to the rear sprocket hub of the bike and my drz has got the EXCEL TAKASAGO rims in it . How can I find one that fits and what sprocket brands and where can I buy it . I have attached pics of the current setup , please help me

• By Surfman1
      Hello all, first time poster. Just bought this bike a few days ago it’s an 08 drz 400sm and am starting to notice it has a strange backfire at idle. I understand a little bit at decel might be normal, but at idle too?  It appears to have been jetted already, judging by the fact it has a jd jetting sticker on the bike itself. I know that it’s not an exact indicator it has but it could be. Has an FMF exhaust, it looks like a full system rather then a slip on but not entirely sure. A buddy recommended I mess with the air and fuel screw, haven’t done that yet. Just wanted to see if there was any other tips I should try.