Reiter Article

The Everett Herald published an article today concerning Reiter:

http://www.heraldnet.com/article/20080218/NEWS01/702579463&news01ad=1#Should.ATVs.be.welcome.on.the.trails.near.Gold.Bar.

I replied to the "letters to the editor" as follows:

I would like to provide some clarification to the article concerning Reiter Foothills published on Monday. It mentioned that the ORV area planning process will cost the State about $300,000. Please be aware that offroad vehicle activities in the State of Washington are completely funded by fees paid by offroad vehicle users. Even though they do not pay a direct fee to ride at places like Reiter, they are required to purchase a vehicle license tab to do so. Additionally the portion of the gas tax revenues that the State receives from gas used in offroad vehicles is placed in the Non-Highway and Offroad Vehicle Activities (NOVA) account. The Washington State Department of Natural Resources annually receives over $1.5 million directly from those funding sources. The DNR also receives additional funds from the NOVA account via grants administered by the state Recreation and Conservation Office. Thanks to these fees and taxes paid by offroad vehicle users, offroad vehicle recreation is one of the few fully user funded forms of recreation in the State of Washington.

Happy trails,

Tod Petersen

Vice President – Northwest Motorcycle Association

Political Action Committee Chairman – Washington Off-Highway Vehicle Alliance

If you have additional comments to provide to the author the email addy is:

ynohara@heraldnet.com

Or a letter to the editor:

letters@heraldnet.com

Thanks Tod, I sent what I felt were some important clarifications as well...

would be nice if the email address to volunteer would work!!:applause:

anyone have a good email address for the DNR?

would be nice if the email address to volunteer would work!!:applause:

anyone have a good email address for the DNR?

got lots of them . . . . . .

The one for the Reiter planning project is:

reiterfoothills@dnr.wa.gov

:applause: For making clairifications, The crap part is people will read this article and think that that money comes out of the state budget and will take away from there schools and roads. Wish your clarifications could be made public to all those who read this article.
:cry: For making clairifications, The crap part is people will read this article and think that that money comes out of the state budget and will take away from there schools and roads. Wish your clarifications could be made public to all those who read this article.

There were two other clarifications I felt should be made... Sutherland was quoted as saying "some people use the forest to drink and litter" with out really making a distinction between partiers and ORV users so that it came off as sounding like some ORV users drink and litter....

The other message that I felt was communicated to the public was that all that goes on at Reiter is "racing" and that is what the public will see it as instead of an area where families go to spend quality time trail riding :) I think coming up on one of the two days a year that there is a race there was probably not the best of situations :applause:

There were two other clarifications I felt should be made... Sutherland was quoted as saying "some people use the forest to drink and litter" with out really making a distinction between partiers and ORV users so that it came off as sounding like some ORV users drink and litter....

The other message that I felt was communicated to the public was that all that goes on at Reiter is "racing" and that is what the public will see it as instead of an area where families go to spend quality time trail riding :) I think coming up on one of the two days a year that there is a race there was probably not the best of situations :applause:

Very good points and thank you for making them :cry:

I kept my comments to a single issue assuming that would be as much as the editor could grasp in a single letter.

Now off I go to spend tomorrow in wonderful Montreal where it is currently -3F.

Makes 25F at Walker sound pretty good.:banghead:

Absolutely AWESOME Tod :smirk::):ride:

Nice to see that they published your response!

Nice work! Did that make the print version also?
That was my thought too.
Did that make the print version also?

That is what I was told.

Unfortunately I was in Montreal at the time and when I got home the Friday paper was tossed :smirk: