KTM 505 SX Any known Problems

Hi, I'm thinking of buying a new 07 505 sx my dealer has 8 left. He says they have had the clutch baskets uprated to prevent the clutch problems that hindered the 07 bikes.

Is there any other problems that these bikes had are they pretty reliable is there common faults with them.

It's that or an 08 450 but the 505 is £1100 cheaper than the 08

The bike will be used for Motocross only :applause::)

Beside's the clutch problem i have had a problem with overheating, so i purchased an 08 radiator cap and still have a slight cooling issue.

Other than that it's a great bike. :applause:

Beside's the clutch problem i have had a problem with overheating, so i purchased an 08 radiator cap and still have a slight cooling issue.

Other than that it's a great bike. :applause:

Anytime you stop a modern four stroke and let it idle, it WILL over heat or spit coolant, muffler will glow etc. Is this where you are finding your problems? Is your jetting running lean?

It should also be noted that you are in Arizona, the SUN itself may over heat there :)

Hi, I'm thinking of buying a new 07 505 sx my dealer has 8 left. He says they have had the clutch baskets uprated to prevent the clutch problems that hindered the 07 bikes.

Is there any other problems that these bikes had are they pretty reliable is there common faults with them.

It's that or an 08 450 but the 505 is £1100 cheaper than the 08

The bike will be used for Motocross only :applause::)

I would say, if you want a 505, and you can get a good deal, then get one. I havent seen any issues with them, if your dealer says he upgraded the clutch baskets too, then thats a bonus for you.

Anytime you stop a modern four stroke and let it idle, it WILL over heat or spit coolant, muffler will glow etc. Is this where you are finding your problems? Is your jetting running lean?

It should also be noted that you are in Arizona, the SUN itself may over heat there :)

Only when i ride in deep loam dirt it will start blowing coolant out from a hose clamp on the lower right side, and it's not a clamp issue...but on hard pack or semi loam dirt the bike is PERFECT..:applause:

I bought an almost "leftover" '07 505sxf, just as the '08's were coming out for the same reason you are considering one...........the savings. I was able to buy the bike, have MX-Tech do the suspension and buy a couple other goodies for what I'd have had to pay for the "brand new" '08 model. I stressed over it at the time. If I had an unlimited budget, the answer would be obvious.........unfortunately, that's not the case!

I haven't had any issues with mine although I still don't have that many hours on it. Regardless, after riding the bike with the MX-Tech suspension, I'm glad I went the route I did.:applause:

I bought an almost "leftover" '07 505sxf, just as the '08's were coming out for the same reason you are considering one...........the savings. I was able to buy the bike, have MX-Tech do the suspension and buy a couple other goodies for what I'd have had to pay for the "brand new" '08 model. I stressed over it at the time. If I had an unlimited budget, the answer would be obvious.........unfortunately, that's not the case!

I haven't had any issues with mine although I still don't have that many hours on it. Regardless, after riding the bike with the MX-Tech suspension, I'm glad I went the route I did.:applause:

Very smart move. Listen this guy!

There´s one problem with them though. If you twist it wide open you´ll have a hard time hanging on that:ride: thing...

Are they replacing the inner, or outer clutch baskets? I've got a 07 SXF 450, and race it mostly offroad, and an occasional moto. The combination of low RPM carb related flameouts, a tall 1st gear and a dragging clutch braking into corners has me using the button often when racing offroad. I tried lower gearing (killed too much top speed), have a flywheel weight, replaced the outer basket with a Moose billet, drilled more oil holes in the inner basket, have tried all kinds of oils in various viscosities, bleed the hydraulics, re-jetted (cut A/P duration and went to 42 pilot), played with the adjustable fuel screw, tried every idle setting (probably helps the most with just setting at a stupid high RPM of 2500!) etc etc. Still, too many flameouts. I also had issues with the rear suspension, but after re-springing no complaints (although the P-20 spring was a lot heavier than a stock type spring). The only other issues are be sure to watch, tighten and loctite a lot of bolts, I had many come loose, once the upper chain slider which resulted in a broken chain. I upgraded the battery to a 7 amp, which is a must for me on a bike that requires lots of starting in gear on the trail. This was my first KTM, and it took me awhile to get used to it and re-learn set-up, like the rear supsension. The engine sits very low in the cradle and the hollow oil filter chamber is in the front making some kind of skid plate almost a nessisity IMO. After adding lots of weight (big tank, spring, battery, stabilizer, bark busters, skid plate, lots of other small protection, tall seat, heavy tubes, flywheel weight, power switch, etc, this bike seems to have a big heavy feel, more so than other 450s I've outfitted. A lot of this is the tank I choose, which is really wide (still didn't hold enough for all races), and a lot of the extra weight is carried higher. Anyway, I guess I've given up a bit, and the bike is now sold and should get picked up today by a friend. A lot of my issues were with the fact I probably would have been better off on a XC, but I found a great deal on this SX, and have always used MX bikes as my starting point. I only raced one series, and was lucky enough to win a class (O/40 Expert) last weekend, so I'm a bit sad to see it go. That button was really nice in this last mud race. I have a 07 Suzuki RMZ 450 to replace it, but if I can get a decent deal on a 08/09 XC 505/450 I might be back. Good luck.

Are they replacing the inner, or outer clutch baskets? I've got a 07 SXF 450, and race it mostly offroad, and an occasional moto. The combination of low RPM carb related flameouts, a tall 1st gear and a dragging clutch braking into corners has me using the button often when racing offroad. I tried lower gearing (killed too much top speed), have a flywheel weight, replaced the outer basket with a Moose billet, drilled more oil holes in the inner basket, have tried all kinds of oils in various viscosities, bleed the hydraulics, re-jetted (cut A/P duration and went to 42 pilot), played with the adjustable fuel screw, tried every idle setting (probably helps the most with just setting at a stupid high RPM of 2500!) etc etc. Still, too many flameouts. I also had issues with the rear suspension, but after re-springing no complaints (although the P-20 spring was a lot heavier than a stock type spring). The only other issues are be sure to watch, tighten and loctite a lot of bolts, I had many come loose, once the upper chain slider which resulted in a broken chain. I upgraded the battery to a 7 amp, which is a must for me on a bike that requires lots of starting in gear on the trail. This was my first KTM, and it took me awhile to get used to it and re-learn set-up, like the rear supsension. The engine sits very low in the cradle and the hollow oil filter chamber is in the front making some kind of skid plate almost a nessisity IMO. After adding lots of weight (big tank, spring, battery, stabilizer, bark busters, skid plate, lots of other small protection, tall seat, heavy tubes, flywheel weight, power switch, etc, this bike seems to have a big heavy feel, more so than other 450s I've outfitted. A lot of this is the tank I choose, which is really wide (still didn't hold enough for all races), and a lot of the extra weight is carried higher. Anyway, I guess I've given up a bit, and the bike is now sold and should get picked up today by a friend. A lot of my issues were with the fact I probably would have been better off on a XC, but I found a great deal on this SX, and have always used MX bikes as my starting point. I only raced one series, and was lucky enough to win a class (O/40 Expert) last weekend, so I'm a bit sad to see it go. That button was really nice in this last mud race. I have a 07 Suzuki RMZ 450 to replace it, but if I can get a decent deal on a 08/09 XC 505/450 I might be back. Good luck.

Can you tell us a little more on this modification? I'm throwing a Rekluse Pro on my bike and I thought the mods needed were to the outer basket and not the inner hub. If it is the inner hub I may not have an issue as the Pro version replaces the whole inner hub.

I had some stalling issues on my buddies 07 as well. The changes KTM made for 08 must have fixed them because i dont have that problem at all on my 08. Maybe a powerbowl/jd jetting combo would have solved all your problems there.

Hey fellow Racers,

I am seeing a ton of talk about the 2007 clutch issues for the SXF 450 and 505. Since I own a 2007 505 I was wondering what the issue is and what people are recommending as a fix if the problem comes up. Also if there where any good signs that the clutch was faulty please let me know.

Thanks

The best fix is to update to ´08 clutch basket. I never had a hint of problems on my ´07 but then again ,i hardly ever use the clutch.

Can you tell us a little more on this modification? I'm throwing a Rekluse Pro on my bike and I thought the mods needed were to the outer basket and not the inner hub. If it is the inner hub I may not have an issue as the Pro version replaces the whole inner hub.

Well, what I really wanted was to do whatever the 08s had done to them, but I couldn't find a 08 system to compare it to. For me, about 1/2 the stalls seem to be low RPM carb flameouts when your rolling on the gas, then back off. I think its at it's worse on very short bursts (tree sections), or when you want a short burst and then back out of throttle (like when you are getting over a big log). The accelarator pump is still pumping, you have cut the throttle, and the now low RPM can't burn the fuel still squirting, so it dies. Not ever an issue on a M/X track, because it's very rare you blip the throttle at low RPM. My solution was to cut the duration of the pump, but richen the jetting down low. It helped, but was still not great. The other 1/2 of my stalls seemed to be the RPMs getting very low while braking into the corners, and causing a stall. My theory is that the clutch has enough drag, that the locked up rear wheel is bringing the engine below the idle RPM (flywheel weight helped). Again, this problem was mostly a off-road, not a M/X problem. In M/X you don't use the clutch as much and most of the turns are much faster. Offroad, 1st gear is very high (Try an extreme section in a gear that can do 45mph) so you have to use the clutch a lot more, and the best fix is to run a high idle, but this aggrevates the clutch heat even more. We also have some fast sections that don't allow me to gear it down. I'm guessing the clutch is getting hot, expanding and causing the drag. It only seemed to do it when it was riding aggressive. I replaced the outer basket with a billet Moose basket. It's a very nice basket, but after a lot of comparison to the old basket, I just can't see how it could help much in heat by increasing oil flow. It does have deeper cuts at the back, but lets face it, the clutch sits in oil, and the centrifical force is slinging oil from inside to the outside. So my guess, is it's the inner basket that got the mods, and increased the oil flow from inside, through the plates, and into the resevoir. So I basically just added about 25% more of the same oil holes that it already has. I did both mods at the same time, and changed to a non JASO wet clutch M/C oil(thinking the modifiers to help the wet clutch from slipping might be working too good) and even went down to a 10W-40 oil, all in an effort to prevent drag. It all helped a little, but it still stalled some going into corners. I jump on my RMX 450 by comparison and can't get the RPM to ever drop any braking into corners. Ville is probably right, the 08 parts are probably the best fix. And M/Xers probably don't have any issues. After all said and done, the few stalls I still got were more than made up by getting to push a button to get going again.

I hardly have a stalling issue with my 08 but as i said, i did with an 07. The 08s also have a heavier flywheel and crank which i think i read helps with stalling as well. Another thing you might want to consider is the R&D power bowl??

I dont own an 07 but I do own two 08's a 450sxf and 450xcf and I tell you, before they were re-jetted and fitted with the ALJ they were terrible about flaming out. In fact the JD jetting did not clear up the flae out problem, the ALJ did. I also have noticed that on both bikes the clutch drags something terrible even once warmed up, just not as bad. I wonder about the clutch on these bikes between the dragging and the stiff clutch pull. I can live with it, but just wonder what would improve it. I have never owned a bike with such a stiff clutch pull and one that drags this bad.

I dont own an 07 but I do own two 08's a 450sxf and 450xcf and I tell you, before they were re-jetted and fitted with the ALJ they were terrible about flaming out. In fact the JD jetting did not clear up the flae out problem, the ALJ did. I also have noticed that on both bikes the clutch drags something terrible even once warmed up, just not as bad. I wonder about the clutch on these bikes between the dragging and the stiff clutch pull. I can live with it, but just wonder what would improve it. I have never owned a bike with such a stiff clutch pull and one that drags this bad.

I will admit that the clutch pull is stiff on my 08 450 as well. I also wonder why KTM switched to Brembo on the 250SXF and still has Magura on the 450s?? Maybe lighter clutch springs will help? But then again they may fade?

yeah, my son's 250sxf has the brembo and it has to be lighter than anything I have seen before. I spoke to Magura and they recommended swapping out to the 9 or 9.5 master cylinder. I did try the EE needle bearing lever and that was a waste....

Previous 505 SXF Problems

1. Jetting Issues

The 505's sent down here were equiped with a 180 Main, and a 44 pilot and the needle clamp was set at 6 holes from top. MAJOR RICH SETTING. Solution(s), Switched to 165 main, 42 Pilot and needle set at 4 holes from top.

2. Clutch Issue

Mechanic removed one clutch plate, solved part of the stalling issue, together with the jetting and gave me a smoother and predictable clutch control in the woods

Overall, the bike's flawless for now. I would love to get a heavier flywheel and a powerbowl kit even though i only ride off road.... not MOTO.I used a friend's 450sxf with a powerbowl installed and there is a difference...but its something I could live without. I installed a promoto billet side stand kit, and its an almost perfect woods bike. Unfortunately, I would love to have a 5th gear installed and a heavier flywheel. Not to prevent my bike from stalling, since now, it hardly stalls, but to smoothen out the powerband.

Mods to be performed:

A heavier flywheel

A rekluse z start pro clutch ( who does not want a 470cc scooter for the woods )

I will admit that the clutch pull is stiff on my 08 450 as well. I also wonder why KTM switched to Brembo on the 250SXF and still has Magura on the 450s?? Maybe lighter clutch springs will help? But then again they may fade?

Lighter springs ?? You´ll toast the clutch in no time. I think KTM has a reason for sticking on to Magura on bigger bikes. I just don´t know what that reason is :smirk: ...