2008 TE 250 prelim report

I'm an intermed rider and have about 35 miles of fire roads and single track so far, trying to go easy....but here are my initial impressions.

Mods: Smog stuff off, T stop off, heat tape over airbox but it had good clearance anyway, factory solution for battery...was told that the dealer recieved instructions for slight alteration of the battery position...didn't pay much attention to the explanation at the time.

The ergonomics are excellent. Comfortable standing peg positions, it actually feels "small". Turns like a dream. Definitly sits lower. I'm 6 ft 185 pounds.

Suspension feels soft...I set the sag at 3 3/4 inches. Not complaining but this is just how it feels to me.

Has great power even without the kit...very linear and responsive. I think the EFI works well but I'm not a racer either.

Transmission is geared close..it's fine but I wish 6th was taller...it's really wrung out at around 55mph. Stock sprockets seem OK for East Coast ST but I havn't got that part dialed in yet.

Stock Michelin enduro competition III rear and enduro competition MS front worked well in the sand...won't have to change to Trackmasters.

My only Husky comparison is to my riding buddys 06 TE510 so take the above with a grain of salt...but I really love this bike.

Anybody else have any initial impressions?

Congrats on the new bike...sounds like the first 35 miles was a good experience. You could probably put a 14 tooth on there to get a little more top and make it less peaky. I did this to mine after break in and made the bike much more enjoyable to ride and allowed less shifts to get up to spped in washes or on the trails.

Those enduro tires only lasted 1000 miles for me. I went to the dunlop 606's and have been happy ever since. I need to change my front pretty soon since the knobs are breaking off quick. Is that competition MS the stock front that comes on the bike?

I wish they had made wider ratio on the 6 speed. 1st gear could be lower on the 450/510 and 6th a bit higher. I may find that I need to drop a tooth on the CS for mountain goat trails.

I'm not sure what the logic is for using a close ratio transmission with a engine that has very a broad power band, especially with the EFI?:applause:

I wish they had made wider ratio on the 6 speed. 1st gear could be lower on the 450/510 and 6th a bit higher. I may find that I need to drop a tooth on the CS for mountain goat trails.

I'm not sure what the logic is for using a close ratio transmission with a engine that has very a broad power band, especially with the EFI?:applause:

I definitely agree. The problem is that the bikes already come with a 13 so you may or may not want to go down to a 12 up front. That might make wheelies too likely. Add two teeth to the rear and that may work.

I think the whole TE lineup needs a lower 1st, keep 2nd and 3rd and then widen 4th 5th and 6th.

Greg

The MS is stock on mine.

I like the idea of a 14 on the front...may try it after break-in...thanks

Congrats on the new bike...sounds like the first 35 miles was a good experience. You could probably put a 14 tooth on there to get a little more top and make it less peaky. I did this to mine after break in and made the bike much more enjoyable to ride and allowed less shifts to get up to spped in washes or on the trails.

Those enduro tires only lasted 1000 miles for me. I went to the dunlop 606's and have been happy ever since. I need to change my front pretty soon since the knobs are breaking off quick. Is that competition MS the stock front that comes on the bike?

You say only like you`d expect a heap more, 1000 miles is bloody brilliant

the husky TE line and it's close ratio is meant for enduros. I miss my Husky close ratio tranny. I have a Husaberg wide ratio, the bike would go 100 mph if it had a pilot. I never see 4th gear and have never been in 6th gear. Climbing a hard surface steep hill, I scream in 1st and lug in 2nd, used to be I could climb that hill in 1st 2nd or 3rd on My husky.........always had two gears right for any situation

Bob I think the brute power of the 450 and 510 can if you want allow various

sprocket changes,my experience with the 250 is differant,they do need a slightly lower 1st,I can live with mine now I have it dialed spot on,but they really need a taller 6th for transport stages,gear the 250 any differant to the standard sprockets and its a problem,down in the extreme terrain and at higher speeds.I am not talking about 100mph potentialities maybe 10% taller in 6th and 2% in 1st with the rest the same.

Bob I think the brute power of the 450 and 510 can if you want allow various

sprocket changes,my experience with the 250 is differant,they do need a slightly lower 1st,I can live with mine now I have it dialed spot on,but they really need a taller 6th for transport stages,gear the 250 any differant to the standard sprockets and its a problem,down in the extreme terrain and at higher speeds.I am not talking about 100mph potentialities maybe 10% taller in 6th and 2% in 1st with the rest the same.

2% lower is basically one tooth on the rear sprocket. Do you think that would be noticeable? ADB magazine said the EFI really woke up the bottom end on the bike. MAybe that will allow the 2008 to lug a bit lower. I like a 1st gear low enough to where I can walk beside the bike as it idles. Great for those get out of being stuck situations.

Greg

You say only like you`d expect a heap more, 1000 miles is bloody brilliant

That's what I was thinking. I ride 95% off road and if i get 300 miles out of a rear tire I'm stoked.

- Glad you loving you new machine :applause:

I can live with 1st the way it is,and no 1 tooth on the rear I could not pick,and yes by all reports the 08 250 has more go down low,thats dirrect from the local shop owner who has a very very nice 300, 07 TE250 convert.

I can live with 1st the way it is,and no 1 tooth on the rear I could not pick,and yes by all reports the 08 250 has more go down low,thats dirrect from the local shop owner who has a very very nice 300, 07 TE250 convert.

is that the one in Brissy

No its Shefan at R and D in Syney,very nice it is too

Thanks for the report. I think you're describing my next bike. Do you think it would hold up to hard enduro use? How's the seat, hard with little foam or is it somewhat comfy? I hate hard thin seats.

The seat is pretty firm.

The MS is stock on mine.

I like the idea of a 14 on the front...may try it after break-in...thanks

The 14 will not work well in the New Jersy trails, but again, get a 12 & a 14 & you can experiment. 13/52 works for me:ride:

The 14 will not work well in the New Jersy trails, but again, get a 12 & a 14 & you can experiment. 13/52 works for me:ride:

Did you need a longer chain with the 52 tooth rear?

Greg

What kind of power kit is there for the te250?

Did you need a longer chain with the 52 tooth rear?

Greg

I'm not for sure because I replaced both sprockets & the chain together & I usually cut the chain to fit.

What kind of power kit is there for the te250?

If you are referring to my post I am referring to the power-up kit available for all huskys with EFI and the catalytic converter. You can also add the 300 kit for more beans.

Greg