Jetting Help!

So i bought the JD Jet Kit for my 07 S and took it to a shop for install. I come to find out that they installed the 160 4th clip with 3 turns out. They also installed the hot weather needle (i don't know what the difference is between the cold and hot). I live in Northern CA so i am at sea level with temperatures not reaching above 80 degrees on a good day and i don't have any engine mods other than the 3x3.

was the mechanic smoking crack when he did the install? I've got a good pickup at low rpm's, but there is some serious stutter and lack of power in the highs. my buddy's stock 07 s pulls mine no problem. what do i need to do? any help would be great.

Do you have the stock exhaust? Did you or your mechanic do the 3x3 with it? It does sound like you would benefit from the blue needle.

A little more info is needed to know what is the best next step.

Also, you have a CA bike, is the charcoal canister still installed?

id guess you need the blue needle! even tho it says in the instructions use the red needle its generally assumed you need to use the blue needle

I have a similar problem so I'm getting a popper Dino set-up done this wednesday its the only way to get the dike set up properly :applause:

i have a CA bike with the charcoal filter removed. I am running the stock exhaust. no other engine mods. am i incorrect in assuming that the red needle isn't the only thing that needs to be changed. isn't the main jet too rich? need help. jetting noob.

i have a CA bike with the charcoal filter removed. I am running the stock exhaust. no other engine mods. am i incorrect in assuming that the red needle isn't the only thing that needs to be changed. isn't the main jet too rich? need help. jetting noob.

Its not too bad without the 3x3 but you probably want to do this:

1. do the 3x3

2. rejet with blue needle and a 155 - 160 main, should have the right one in the instructions

If you do not have you should get:

1. Float bowl kit

2. extended fuel screw

http://shop.thumpertalk.com/product_p/int_tt_drzbltkt.htm

http://shop.thumpertalk.com/product_p/int_kientech_drzsfms.htm

Finally, if you don't know what the 3x3 is, look at the sticky at the top of the page and to find out if it was done to your bike, remove the seat and see if there is a 3inch by 3inch square cut in the air box.

i don't have any engine mods other than the 3x3.

K Man, I think you missed he has the 3x3 done to his bike.

To me, it almost sounds like they replaced the starter jet instead of the main (I have some experience w/ this...). Hopw does it respond to the choke?What kind of "shop" did you take it to? Tape off the 3x3 and see how it runs then on top end. If it's worse, remove the tape, and take off the airbox lid and ride it. Let us know the results.

K Man, I think you missed he has the 3x3 done to his bike.

To me, it almost sounds like they replaced the starter jet instead of the main (I have some experience w/ this...). Hopw does it respond to the choke?What kind of "shop" did you take it to? Tape off the 3x3 and see how it runs then on top end. If it's worse, remove the tape, and take off the airbox lid and ride it. Let us know the results.

Nice catch, thanks. Sounds like he has to open it up anyway... Sucks that he paid for it and now has to do it himself because the "qualified" guys did something wrong...

I wonder what they put in there? Probably left the 22.5 PJ or what you said... :applause:

I know I couldn't get my bike to run right w/ a 160 starter jet. :applause: If it doesn't respond to the choke, that's a good indication they replaced the starter w/ a main. Mine didn't start too well, but ran decent on low and lower mid rpms. Above that it stuttered and carried on w/ the stock main and 3x3. You're right though, he has to go back in regardless.

i'm pretty sure that it is not running lean, there aren't any noise in the exhaust under deceleration. Also, the choke will kill the engine if it is already running. i don't think that is normal.

i'm pretty sure that it is not running lean, there aren't any noise in the exhaust under deceleration. Also, the choke will kill the engine if it is already running. i don't think that is normal.

You need to yank the carb and see what is in there.

Just so you know the stock S carb has the following:

142.5 main jet

22.5 pilot jet

62.5 main air jet

non adjustable needle with spacer and shim

thanks. just to make it clear as i am a carb dummy, the main jet is located at the top of the carb where the needle is located below it? where are the pilot and the pilot air located?

thanks. just to make it clear as i am a carb dummy, the main jet is located at the top of the carb where the needle is located below it? where are the pilot and the pilot air located?

No problem. Here is a exploded view of your carb, well at least one from a DRZ400S (07).

http://fiche.ronayers.com/Index.cfm/Module/Main/TypeID/26/Type/Motorcycle/MakeID/2/Make/Suzuki/YearID/48/Year/2007/ModelID/7547/Model/DRZ400S/GroupID/357536/Group/CARBURETOR_

#10 Needle

#14 is the main jet

#22 is the pilot

#24 is main air jet

The needle is under the top.

Also, here is a link to some one removing one from and SM (same carb) and rejetting. The jetting is different for your bike but the construction is the same.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=334539&highlight=BBB+rejet

You should also know that the screws on the float bowl (bottom) of the carb are junk so you should purchase the kit to replace them and an extended fuel screw. These are not necessary but make life a lot easier.

http://shop.thumpertalk.com/product_p/int_tt_drzbltkt.htm

http://shop.thumpertalk.com/product_p/int_kientech_drzsfms.htm

If I was in CA I would meet you and help pull it out...

Excellent post K Man. :applause:

Excellent post K Man. :applause:

Thanks. :)

Thanks KMan. :smirk: I'll put those pictures to good use.

A couple more dummy questions. Why on most posts do people suggest that a stock S run with a 140mj with a 3x3? My stock S came with a 142.5 and after rejetting and a 3x3 do people say that it should run with a 140? Why would the bikeshop (dealer) put the 160 when i had them rejet it with the JD Kit? Noob questions i know, but i want to know what i am to do before i tear my bike apart.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks KMan. :smirk: I'll put those pictures to good use.

A couple more dummy questions. Why on most posts do people suggest that a stock S run with a 140mj with a 3x3? My stock S came with a 142.5 and after rejetting and a 3x3 do people say that it should run with a 140? Why would the bikeshop (dealer) put the 160 when i had them rejet it with the JD Kit? Noob questions i know, but i want to know what i am to do before i tear my bike apart.

Thanks in advance.

The 140 is from the DJ (DynoJet kit). 160 may be a little rich with the JD kit and the stock exhaust. 160 is way too rich without the 3x3 for usre.

The JD kit has different needles and requires different jets.... So starting with a 160 you are close. Open it up and post what you find...

Ha Ha, He is slow than me, I am a buddy? what i am a cousin, Well the reason i am faster is because i have the YELLOW plastics and not the slow blue plastics..... I am getting ready to do the jetting as well. Jmon