Sign in to follow this  

Fork Spring & Re-Valve Question

I have a 07 DRZ400s and weigh 230lbs. Looking to re-spring the front forks with racetech springs. According to their website using the calc, I should get a .50kg spring.

The bike has 200mi, would it be necesary to re-valve the forks?

Also, going to re-spring the rear. The recommended 5.86kg. Should I choose the 5.7 or 6.0? Thanks for the help.:applause:

The .50 springs sound right for your weight. I am not as heavy as you at 185 and I ride a lot of rocks, so I went with .46 springs. I found using Maxima 125/150 fork oil with the springs worked really well. Plush in the rocks, stout enough in the whoops.

I would get the 6.0 spring out back for your weight. Consider the Race Tech kit for your shock, with Eddie installing it if you ride rough trails. Eddie did his custom shim stack job with the Race Tech kit on my shock and it kicks butt!

Thanks for the reply....

Would you do a re-valve on the forks?

The forks were really good with the new oil and springs. I just had Eddie re-valve them as well, but a ride report will have to wait awhile until the season begins again. I am sure I will love them. :applause:

the revalve is the best option if cost is no object, but if you are just playing, I found a big difference with just the springs and fluid change .48 front and 5.7 rear, 220lbs rider weight au naturel. It's far better than stock, but likely not nearly as good as the full job-never had the chance to try one done up.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Bignerd0100100
      Hey all, 
      I'm looking at buying a 2004 Suzuki DRZ400EK or at least I think it's an EK according to Vin lookup websites, but it does not appear to have a kickstarter. I was told the bike was owned by a motorcycle dealer and that it has a current green sticker, and a California license plate but has not been registered for the streets since 2011. I want this as a dual sport but am not clear if the fact that it already has a plate means I am good to register it or if maybe they took away the ability to register it after it was plated, California loves to do that kind of stuff. Since the bike was owned by a dealer I would think they were up on the latest regulations in California, but who knows. Can anyone add any insight as to what I should look for on the bike itself like the carburetor, model numbers etc? Or do I just try my luck at the DMV?
    • By smokey9lives
      Hi,
      I have a 2003 DRZ (actually a KLX400) and the head tube bearings are shot.  I ordered a new set to install but I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations on other parts I should replace while I have the front disassembled.  I was thinking about new rubber fork protectors, but are there other things that wear out on the DRZ front ends that you can only get to when disassambled?
      I also broke off a replacement key that I got for the steering lock.  I must have been made of cheap pot-metal.  Should I just remove the whole lock mechanism?
      Any tips or tricks for getting the old bearings out and the new ones in would be welcome!
      Thanks!
    • By antonyp
      Hey Guys,
      I recently bought a 2003 DRZ400S and thought it would be a good idea to check the valves clearance etc . I timed the engine on TDC with the magneto mark aligned as per the manual but I find the cam timing slightly odd. The arrows pointing upward are on the 1st and 15th pin as they should but with the magneto timing mark aligned they are not perfectly straight. Same goes for the arrows that should be parallel to the cylinder head casing. Is this normal or should they be absolutely perfect ?