Removing clutch bolt...HOW?

Replacing the clutch in my sons CR85R. Everything was going fine until I got to this center bolt on the clutch assembly....***?. I cannot get it off! I just broke one of those studs trying to get leverage :applause: !!!!!!....

Is there a trick to get this thing off? The manual refers to a special tool, but then notes that it's not available in the USA!

Any ideas? I wanted to get this thing done today...but after breaking that piece, guess I'm SOL for now.

clutch1.jpg?t=1203355208

you really should use an air impact gun, however, you may be able to get it off by jamming a peice of wood between the gear on the crank and the outer clutch basket and proceeding with a ratchet and the correct sized socket

you really should use an air impact gun, however, you may be able to get it off by jamming a peice of wood between the gear on the crank and the outer clutch basket and proceeding with a ratchet and the correct sized socket

An impact wrench is probably a better investment, because you can use it for different tasks.

The alternative is buying a specialized 'clutch holding tool'.

Forget about the wood... while it might do the job, you don't want splinters left inside.

When you install it back make sure to use a torque wrench.

Thanks guys. After your replies, I had a beer, cooled off, went back and thought about it real hard. I didn't want splinters in the case.....Buying an impact wrench was not an option as I only have a small compresssor, and not about to go buy a real one. (Though it would be nice for the garage:thumbsup: ). I realized I broke the stud off the pressure plate because I had no support when attempting to leverage.

I decided to reinstall the spring plate, minus the springs. This gave the studs more support(3). Wedged my flat tipped screwdriver back in there using it as leverage again, to keep the assembly from spinning.

Whalla...worked like a charm. Just ordered a new pressure plate from Motosport, so lets hope I dont bust it again torqing it back on :applause: .

Thanks again!

Buy a 3/8" drive butterfly impact. A small compressor will drive it and it has plenty of torque for this, front sprockets, etc.

The little cordless impact drivers also work wonders for things like this. Most are are good for 1000 in-lb (83 ft-lb). For a DeWalt setup with batteries etc, I believe is around 300 bucks. Up here in Canada, Canadian Tire sells their "Mastercraft" kit for $120 on sale, which is also surprisingly good. I have seen these in local mechanics shops, and even some contractors buy these for use on the jobsite - they are surprisingly durable for $120.

There are also electric impacts, the cheaper ones can be had for under $75 on sale.

You can always put the bike in gear (say 3rd or 4th) and wedge the rear wheel to provent spinning. Works like a charm and no special tools or risk of breaking stuff from improperly prying on stuff.

I did the exact same thing that you did and still haven't been able to pick up a new clutch hub. I did buy an electric impact wrench off of ebay for $25 that ripped that nut right off. I highly recommend adding one to your tool box.

I did the exact same thing that you did and still haven't been able to pick up a new clutch hub. I did buy an electric impact wrench off of ebay for $25 that ripped that nut right off. I highly recommend adding one to your tool box.

Glad to see I'm not alone. Good tip on the electric wrench...I had no idea there was such a thing. I order a new clutch hub today, 2-day fed-ex express. Crossing my fingers it shows up :applause:...we got to ride next weekend, no fail..............

I cant get my bolt off either, ive tried locking it up by putting a ratch out the countershaft sprocket bolt and jumping on the ratchet on the clutch side and the bolt will not move.

I cant get my bolt off either, ive tried locking it up by putting a ratch out the countershaft sprocket bolt and jumping on the ratchet on the clutch side and the bolt will not move.

On the bigger bikes, use a clutch holder. Bend the lock washer out of the way and use a breaker bar if necessary. :applause:

clutch_tool.jpg