Gearing suggestions for an 08?

I just broke my 08 in Saturday and found that the gearing was too close for the track I ride- Having to shift too quick coming out of corners and 3rd gear tapping out too quick.

Should I just drop one on the rear or look at going to a 14-50 or something like that?

I ride Vet A motocross and am 190 pds.

Suggestions is appreciated!

Before regearing your bike, I'd suggest trying to keep your momentum up through the tight corners and hit them in a taller gear than you have been.

Before regearing your bike, I'd suggest trying to keep your momentum up through the tight corners and hit them in a taller gear than you have been.

true that! still would like 3rd to pull a little longer though.

true that! still would like 3rd to pull a little longer though.

Are you bouncing off the rev limiter in 3rd. If you aren't then you aren't revving it too long. These bikes still make good power past the hp peak.

Are you bouncing off the rev limiter in 3rd. If you aren't then you aren't revving it too long. These bikes still make good power past the hp peak.

No. Is that not bad for the valves? Seems like when I really try to rev out 3rd on rough straights that the front end gets more twitchy and it seems to track better by not revving as high :applause:

No. Is that not bad for the valves? Seems like when I really try to rev out 3rd on rough straights that the front end gets more twitchy and it seems to track better by not revving as high :applause:

If the track has rough, high speed sections, you'll need to pull a taller gear to keep the suspension settled. You may actually like a 49 on the back. That way you can more easily pull 3rd in most corners and then you can use 4th in the high speed stuff.

If the track has rough, high speed sections, you'll need to pull a taller gear to keep the suspension settled. You may actually like a 49 on the back. That way you can more easily pull 3rd in most corners and then you can use 4th in the high speed stuff.

That is certainly a thought. Appreciate your feedback.:applause: Either way it would allow for the use of only 2 gears- 2nd and 3rd or 3rd and 4th

I may order a 14 49 combo and try the 49 tooth rear first. If I don't like it I can go to the taller set up utilizing 2nd and 3rd

I would think a benefit of the 13-49 would allow for 3rd gear starts also

Put a Pro Circuit slip on and a 2007 stock header on the 08.....You'll get a much longer 3rd gear!

True that. I can off a YZ and was a master of short-shifting. On the CRF, you can pull gears much longer. It's a paradigm shift, but when you start to realize that you can hold it open longer in each gear, you soon see why you may not need to switch gearing.