Making a WR250 Street Legal

hi All!

I have a 2006 WR250 on it's way to me next week (eBay special!). I would like to make it street legal in Massachusetts. In order to do this I must have working high & low beam lights, directionals (not required but I'd like them), brake lights (both front & rear activated) and a horn.

Horn is easy. lol

Adding the rear directional "unit" us easy too.

Does the USA version have the same wiring harness as the European bikes? I would love to be able to simply add the controls and break pressure sensors from the Europe bikes and be on my way.

Is this feasable? Or is there a simpler/more cost effective way to do this?

Thank you in advance!!!!

Keith

No they don't have the same wiring,

You may need to convert it to DC, you can get pressure switches that replace your banjo bolts for your brake light, we need a battery so the lights stay on if your bike dies and if you use a battery you need to convert to DC power. If your bike has the stock front light it already has Hi/Lo, then you need all the misc switches to work it all.

I was going to do this to my, i still might, have the pressure switches and the Hi/Lo switch and i have converted to DC

I hope this helps

Dave

No they don't have the same wiring,

You may need to convert it to DC, you can get pressure switches that replace your banjo bolts for your brake light, we need a battery so the lights stay on if your bike dies and if you use a battery you need to convert to DC power. If your bike has the stock front light it already has Hi/Lo, then you need all the misc switches to work it all.

I was going to do this to my, i still might, have the pressure switches and the Hi/Lo switch and i have converted to DC

I hope this helps

Dave

So... how did you convert it to DC? I guess you added a rectifier, but which? And where did you place the battery and how? Do you have photos?

Thanks a bunch!!!

You need a rectifier/regulator, i got mine from Trailtech, I put the battery in the airbox with Velcro and a reusable zap strap

And how did you do the wiring? I am a little curious about that.

Also how many amps can one expect from the stock stator? And what is the stock stator? Does it cross-ref with anything?

I know, a lot of questions!

How are you getting it registered with a off higway use only on the C/0? Is MA different?

In Massachusetts if you prove to an Inspection Station that it has all of the components to make it road worthy, they will give you a letter to take to the Registry stating so. A Street title can then be issued to you!

So what's stopping me from ordering the Euro harness and installing my own switches and required aftermarket lights?? Surely I could find a digital Speedo on eBay. The same rectifyer part number is listed for USA and EU bikes, as is the same altenator.

You best bet is to get a bar mounted switch with all the controlls, you also need a ignition switch, make your own harness, the brake lights should be wired direct to the batt and the rear and front lights can be wired through the ignition so they come on when the ignition is on, or least the tail light

I was told the stock stator puts out 130w in stock AC form when you convert to DC you loose about 10 or 20%

Stock they only come with a regulater, and they are AC only with no battery, you could get a Trailtech (Vapor i think) it has a speedo, RPM, engine temp and som other misc stuff

I am taking notes. What P/N is the Euro harness?

According to the parts manual online, it is 8000 A5565 It looks to have all of the leads that you will need.

There is a detailed wiring diagram in the owners manual too. I am sure you could find the components needed to get the DC voltage sorted out. I don't see a battery in the Euro circuit...... Is it needed?

Man there was a certain year that Huskies came over here with the Euro stuff on them.. I am thinking around '02 or so. That can't be right but a certain year they were having trouble we got the Euro bikes. I would love to have mine registered just so I could leave my house and ride the roads for 1 mile to get to woods. I am in VA though and have not tried yet. You also might want to check with that conversion company Baja Designs.

According to the parts manual online, it is 8000 A5565 It looks to have all of the leads that you will need.

There is a detailed wiring diagram in the owners manual too. I am sure you could find the components needed to get the DC voltage sorted out. I don't see a battery in the Euro circuit...... Is it needed?

Only if your laws require the lights to stay on if your bike dies, like when you crash in the dark, also the battery keeps the light from dimming at lower RPM's

Knewman,

I have a Baja Designs kit on my street legal '00 WR250. It was actually a "generic" kit and you had to do a lot of cutting and crimping. It was not a plug and play deal at all. Not bad, but I wouldn't use one again. '98 TE's came with full street Euro harness and switch gear. This harness is still availible from Husky USA. Fran Bottone(my dealer) bought my '01 TE400 for his personal bike and used this harness to DS it. It's very Factory and sano. Call Bottones and Fran will hook you up(literally and figuratively). I think you know the number.

Norman

Norman,

I do have Fran's number. Thank you for the info! I haven't even received the bike yet, but as soon as it's broken in and the weather breaks, I'll be hooking up the electrics as well as sending the suspension out to ACE! I am the proud owner of a "brand new" demo 2006 WR250 from Heinens. From the pictures and their testimony, it is as brand new as any other bike they have uncrated. This one just happens to be the one that went to a few shows and was started up & test ridden a bit. I'll put it through the NETRA torture test for the next 2 or 3 years This is actually the second bike I have bought from them. I got the deal of the century!

I have been riding Husqvarnas since 1990. My first one was a WXE250 (Cagiva), then a 95 WXC250, then a 2002 WR250, then a 2004 TC450, and now back to a 2 stroke. I loved the 4 stroke, but I couldn't pass up this deal. I had my heart set on a TXC450 because I love the MX motor/woods bike.

Let's keep this alive because it is a nice thread.

I want to first add a battery, so that I can hook up my GPS to it (it does not like the vibrations when running on batteries). I can always connect a battery charger until I add the Trailtech rect/reg.

What battery holder do you use? Is it a 4-stroke Husqy part? If yes, what part number? Or can you x-ref with a generic part of something from a parter off eBay?

Thanks a bunch!!!

• 1 month later...

I have not done any of the lighting yet, but Plymouth from NEDB converted my last WR250 to be street legal with the lights, horn, etc., and was able to get it titled by presenting a letter of "street legal" from an inspection station to the RMV. It's really that simple in MA.

Did you race the winter scrambles this past Sunday? My first ride on the WR was fantastic! Power..... handling...... I was very inpressed with the stock suspension too! This is the first bike that I have owned in a long time where I do not NEED to have the forks & shock revalved. You will not be dissapointed with the WR250!

I have not done any of the lighting yet, but Plymouth from NEDB converted my last WR250 to be street legal with the lights, horn, etc., and was able to get it titled by presenting a letter of "street legal" from an inspection station to the RMV. It's really that simple in MA.

Did you race the winter scrambles this past Sunday? My first ride on the WR was fantastic! Power..... handling...... I was very inpressed with the stock suspension too! This is the first bike that I have owned in a long time where I do not NEED to have the forks & shock revalved. You will not be dissapointed with the WR250!

No my KTM200 blew up down in Jersey at the Sandy Lane, and I've been riding a 200 for the last 5 years so its time for a change. Love the bike, but I wanna make a wave in the sea of Orange! I'll be at the next one in A-250 and definatly at all the Enduros...