How many hours do you ride?

for 8 months of the year, i normally ride an hour a day in my backyard woods. so simple, its right behind my house, takes me one minute to get to. Then every other weekend during that time I go to jersey to mix it up for the day(totalling about 5 hours of riding). so for a week during those eight months, I ride bout 12 hours.

Well why don't you all just burst my bubble then. :applause:

How do you guys afford afford maintenance?!?! All those hours per year thats like 8-10 top ends a year and thats over $1000 bucks just on piston and rings. (if you have a race bike).

How am i gonna afford that... i must be missing something surly.

I dont have an hour meter myself but my riding buddy did. I got my bike before him and he was at 100+ hrs when he did his top end on his CRF250. I did it 2 weeks later so its safe to say it was up there but still fine. All of this was track time put in in about 5 months with lots of hard laps. The guide saying 25hrs for a top end or whatever is BS if you keep strict maintanence. Another friend of mine rode about 5 days a week for a year straight in the pro class before thinking he needed a top end, which it turned out he didn't necessarily.

Well why don't you all just burst my bubble then. :applause:

How do you guys afford afford maintenance?!?! All those hours per year thats like 8-10 top ends a year and thats over $1000 bucks just on piston and rings. (if you have a race bike).

Are you looking to ride for fun or race motocross competively? These bikes can handle a lot of time on them if its in the desert. You might go a whole year or 2 before needing a top end depending on how you ride(making sure you clean that air filter like every ride and oil every 3).

If you are trying to see how much time you should put in to race and actually get good, think of it this way- Imagine yourself going through grade school trying to read, but you only had reading for an hour and a half every week or even 2. It would be hard to get good or even retain much information at all. In reality, you read everyday in school. To become good at dirtbikes, you have to treat it like learning to read.

My family and I ride every sunday from april til november, some times hard core riding sometimes puting and exploring sometimes motos.. I change the oil in my bike every 3rd ride out and my air cleaner as needed but I check it after every ride when I wash my bike, On average we ride about 6 hours a day, it varies from weekend to weekend, and some weekends we with truck in to a camp spot and set up for the wekend and do nothing but ride and camp for 2 days. My wifes quad gets its oil done every 8 rides or as needed by color, clear good black bad. her air also gets cleaned and oiled when needed but only as needed inspected after every ride. my sons quad gets what momma's gets and when momma's gets it except again air as needed checked after every ride. My rm 250 gets 2 years like this on a top end. before needing a replate and new piston. my wifes quad had valves shimmed at 2000 miles( 1 summer) and runs like budda. the boys quad is gettin up graded due to boys size and abilities and is finally old enough to start doing his own mntc.but his machine has near 3500 miles on it and I've done nothing but oil, grease, air, brakepads. and he is a kid so it has prolly 10,000 hrs idleing. Well maybe not 10,000 hours but alot more than mine or the wifes....

And 50% more time... most of which will be taken out riding time.. ?

Don't worry mate. I rode till now max 40h/year. This year on march will be my third year of riding. So that's about 120h In my whole life. I also can't afford to ride like 3 times per week, so I train with cheaper methods like bicycle and weights. Helps a lot ::applause: This year I consider to start racing. But I'll have to wait little to see how my form is :banghead:

Just enjoy riding and don't bother ?

normal_Lezen%2017%20November%20085.jpg

normal_Lezen%2013.%20November%20%252820%2529.jpg

normal_Lezen%2013.%20November%20%252812%2529.jpg

• Like 1

Well why don't you all just burst my bubble then. ?

My dirt bikes are just trail bikes, and my street bike requires little maintenence

I've never done any work to my 150f, after probably 300+ hours of use, only thing I've done is adjust the valves, change oil every couple weeks, change tires/tubes, and replace bent bars :applause:

Personally I couldn't own a race bike at this point in my life.. I tear stuff up WAY to much, and put in WAY to many hours..

And when I'm not riding my bikes, usually a friend is playing on them lol

• 13 years later...

I might sound kinda weird for this but I have put 300 hours on my CRF 2014 Honda 250 since August of 2020 I try to ride 3-4 times a week and I usually put 4-5 hours each ride

Thats amazing I just found this website honestly

• Like 1

On 2/18/2008 at 11:35 PM, chris142 said:

Before I came here I rode quads. I put 56,000 miles on an 01 kawasaki Mojave in 3 yrs. Milage tracked by a GPS I carried with me.

Gonna throw the BS flag.

Thats 933 hours a year if you average 20 mph. 

That further maths down to about 2.5 hours of riding every single day for 3 years straight. 

That sounds excessive.  

Is this a trolly service?

• Like 1