What size front tire do you use?

I don't know about you guys, but with a full tank of gas, my piggy tends to 'plow' a lot of times through soft sand, or just anything soft in general. Plus, it seems like the front end seems to want to wash out a lot, keeping me from really pitching it over in the berms...

Right now I have a 100/80-21, and the knobs have chunked off, so its time for a new one. I already have a 90/90-21, and aother 100/80-21, but with fresh knobs, and a different pattern.

What has anyone else had luck with? Thanks

Ya, that's a real pain on these bikes,Iv'e stiffend up the front(and rear) and it helps a lot. On the front besides stiffer springs i put in an extra 3\4" preload on the springs with stiffer damping too.The preload on the springs is not easy to do.Iv'e got pictures somewhere if you want to see it.a really good tire also helped a lot too but that's kinda a given.

As far as I can tell the only way to stop the plowing is to go faster. When you go fast enough it is like you get up on top of the sand. It's sort of like planing in a boat.

I've never noticed much difference in the different widths of front tires. I am a big time side knob killer. I like a Dunlop 756 front these days. good all around performance.

As far as I can tell the only way to stop the plowing is to go faster. When you go fast enough it is like you get up on top of the sand. It's sort of like planing in a boat.

I've never noticed much difference in the different widths of front tires. I am a big time side knob killer. I like a Dunlop 756 front these days. good all around performance.

Same here, my side knobs are toast after a couple rides. Its weird, because all the centers are still there, but all the ones on the side are torn off. And I thought it was just me...

I've been using the 756 rear and really like it, so I might try one up front too.

I raised the front forks about 6 mm in the clamps, and about the same time switched to a 80/100x21 Dunlop D756 up front.

Both changes made a noticable difference. That (the washing) was my only gripe with this bike. No more....

I am running a Pirelli MT-44 now (DOT), but haven't had enough time on it.

know all about the wash out theory .was out on Monday doing some fire roading just out for a cruise and was coming down a slight downhill portion and must of clipped a rock and bang was thrown down on my head .ended up with a broken helmet and some bruised ribs and right shoulder .not fun .that's the second time that's happened to me .once in the rocks too. running a mt 18 pirrelli up front 13lbs .think its time for a different tire .:applause:

I haven't really had it wash out on me badly yet, but you can always feel right when its about to go. Its kind of annoying cause you know it should plant, but it slips out.

I'm almost half tempted to try out my 90/90-21 to see what the handling difference would be between that and my other 80/100-21.

I am running the michelin M12 on the front of my 650r. It hooks like nothing else!! Your front end woes will be gone!!! I have never lost my front end on this tire!! I have been thru atleast four in the last three years. It is the best choice I have found. Me and my buddies tried lot's of other tires and we all liked the M12's the best. I also run the dunlop 952 in th rear. They last a long time and take a lot of abuse!! Just my 02!! Thats all...

Nothing you can really do with these in sandy terrain really, like said faster is better but there so heavy that no matter what tire your gonna plow when turning and it will move around on ya, used to HATE sand till my first trip to Glamis WEEHEEWWWW once you learn how to ride in it you just deal with it pretty much. Its soft sand nothing you can do!!

I am running the michelin M12 on the front of my 650r. It hooks like nothing else!! Your front end woes will be gone!!! I have never lost my front end on this tire!! I have been thru atleast four in the last three years. It is the best choice I have found. Me and my buddies tried lot's of other tires and we all liked the M12's the best. I also run the dunlop 952 in th rear. They last a long time and take a lot of abuse!! Just my 02!! Thats all...

What I don't understand, is how so I've heard so many guys have so much luck with the 952 rear. I got one on reccommendation on saying how great it was, and mine lasted about 5 rides, and I'm not joking. The tire just started chunking one day, like on the second ride, and about 3 rides later, it was almost considered a slick.

I thought it was just because I have a 650R. However, my room mate, who has a CRF 450, had the same tire, and his lasted 6 rides, one more than mine.

So, I just find it hard to believe that so many guys have had luck with these tires, while both of us had our 952's turn to crap after a few short rides. Literally, the center knobs were just gone...:applause:

So, I just find it hard to believe that so many guys have had luck with these tires, while both of us had our 952's turn to crap after a few short rides. Literally, the center knobs were just gone...?

I tried a 952 on the front and the same thing happened, but to the side knobs. The centers were still in great shape. With no side knobs the traction sucked.

try the maxxis desert it for the rear .i,m running a pirelli mt 18 up front but at this point not too sure of it right now !!!!

I ran a Maxxis Desert IT in the rear for a while. And while the tire actually did last for a while, it didn't really wear, more like it chunked. But, the tire did not do good in many terrains. It seemed to matter where I went, the tire never wanted to hook up.

I tried a 952 on the front and the same thing happened, but to the side knobs. The centers were still in great shape. With no side knobs the traction sucked.

Thats what I have had happen to most of my front tires. Almost all the center knobs are still there, and in tact, while I have almost no side knobs what-so-ever.

WOW!! You shredded a 952? damn!! Your the man!! You must ride way faster than I do!! I ride my bike on the pavement to the trails I ride on. And I don't ***** foot around either! But I am also aware that with a tire that hooks that good bad things can happen to it. So thats why I don't clutch it a lot or really hit the throttle a bunch. And I wear mine out all the way down to where there are no wear bars showing anymore. I like the m5b a lot but on the pavement you can smell the rubber burning when you push it. But it is the all time best I think for hooking and hill climbing soft dirt.

Besides the right combo of tire for your use, I really believe the front end pushing or related front handling issues can be from suspension setup. If you are not running the right sag in the rear and your damping is not dialed in, it can throw the handling off.

While adjusting the height of the fork tubes in the clamps can help, to me, it is not the answer. I believe it comes later for fine tuning when possibly drifting from the stock height position. When adjusting the fork height, it is said there is only a couple or few millimeters of playroom between making the bike more stable or being able to turn a bit quicker. Raising the fork height in the clamps more than that, for quicker turning, could get scary in the fast stuff.

The bike really needs to be dialed in with rear sag and proper damping adjustments.

If the bike has too much sag, it will squat and push the front end. If not enough sag, it will feel like riding a stink bug in the corners and the front can feel harsh and steering could feel heavy. If your damping is considerably off, it could contribute to pushing the front end, slide out or a host of other symptoms. If the bike is not quite sprung for your weight all of this adds up even more in the effect of not being able to adjust the sag to the proper range. Dialing in your suspension the best it can be, even if it isn't properly sprung for your weight, can help but will obviously have it's limitations.

Something to consider.

I had a 952 on xr400 until i did my USD conversion. I used it for about a year and it looks almost brand new. Thumpmiester, I did the poker run and 50 miles of the desert 100 and then the rest of the season at walker and reiter and it still looks really good. I plan on putting it back on in the near future. I don't know how you are able to do that to these tires. guess your hauling @$$.