Sign in to follow this  

Im I to late to have to become a pro

Hey im 14 years old and i started riding like 1-2 years ago and i race 125 nov i ride a 2007 rmz250 im going to race world mini and im going to try to make the loretta lynn's qualifier im just wondering if im to late to become a pro when i turn 16 do you guys know any trainers or anything that could help a lot more so i can become better thanks

its never too late as long as you have the drive, motivation, anf of course some natural talent

if you drive yourself to do it, have a passion, can block out your common sense thats telling you your going to fast and keep yourself in great physical shape, you can do it.

What they said!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Plus a ton of financial backing, committed parents and did I mention a huge financial commitment?

What they said!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Plus a ton of financial backing, committed parents and did I mention a huge financial commitment?

I'm wondering how much money a "ton" is... and, unless our definitions of a "ton" of financial backing is very different, why you think you need that much?

I'm wondering how much money a "ton" is... and, unless our definitions of a "ton" of financial backing is very different, why you think you need that much?

Most of the expense is travel, and the help you need......If your parents can afford to leave there work and put all the time into getting you around the country hitting all the Nationals, doing all the work on your fleet of bikes you need, and are expert suspension and motor mechanics, then you will have to pay for the good stuff.

I don't think it is as much money as it is time and passion from not only you, but everyone around you.....They all have to want you to do it or it won't work.:)

For every pro rider, there are probably 10 guys that had the same speed growing up but the backing wasn't there so they never made it.:applause:

By all means no, it is not too late to become a pro. I started riding when I was 13, when I got a 250f..now I am 16 riding a 525 and racing the A class, and am planning on riding in the pro ranks next year. Just make sure you have support from your parents, that helps alot. It is very easy to lose sight of your goals, and you just can't forget about what you are trying to accomplish.

98cr250r Did you ever go to the races, race 3 classes, trash a bike, get practice time in during the week,rebuild the bike,hire a personel trainer,get a gym membership,buy an RV to go to the races in,hire a tutor,go to MTF,get your parents birthday gifts for buying all of the above for you, buy fuel,by a new truck to tow the RV ,You see what I mean??? :applause: The costs can be astronomical. But who am I to squash a dream.....................

You got to have bundles of money and be really really fast. But iv never never seen you ride before so I would say yes you can but you have to work with all your might.

I agree with everyone about financial backing. As of now my parents arent helping me out financially but Im sure once I start hitting some nationals they will help me out. If you werent living in cali I would say go to MTF.

98cr250r Did you ever go to the races, race 3 classes, trash a bike, get practice time in during the week,rebuild the bike,hire a personel trainer,get a gym membership,buy an RV to go to the races in,hire a tutor,go to MTF,get your parents birthday gifts for buying all of the above for you, buy fuel,by a new truck to tow the RV ,You see what I mean??? :smirk: The costs can be astronomical. But who am I to squash a dream.....................

Could even charter a plane to get you from track to track. May as well stop at 5 star hotels. Brand new, freshly laundered riding gear for each moto. Have someone else deliver the RV to the track so you have an air-conditioned place to watch cartoons between motos.

Oh yeah, I know... the costs CAN be astronomical. Although its still not done with pocket lint, don't forget that there are pro's, racing out of the back of pickup trucks. PB&J's may not be a kings food, but it works. And get this, some of them even work out on their own, without a gym membership!

My point is... If its your dream, if your fast enough to do it... you can find a way to make it happen.

Im going to agree with 98cr250r. If you want it bad enough there is a way. Once you prove yourself locally/regionally, you can pick up some much needed support to help you out with lorettas and a couple nationals. Yes, it will cost a lot of money still and you definatly will be cutting back on spending virtually everywhere you can. If i remember reading right, james stewart and his dad basically lived in the back of their box van and resorted to eating peanut butter and jelly sandwhiches.

It aint too late man. sure the guys who have been riding since the age of 3 will have a advantage, you just need to be more fired up and have a much steeper learning curve.

It's all about how bad you want it. I'm not going to say it's never too late to pursue your dream of becoming a pro rider, but at 14 you have plenty of time. I didn't turn pro until I was 25. I started riding at 4, and did some racing when I was a kid. My dad was in the Army and got stationed in KY. Nothing against KY, but in the 80's while my dad was a Drill SGT we were not able to travel much. That meant my racing ended pretty much when I was 10. I continued to ride off and on until I was about 14. then my parents sold a bunch of stuff, my bike included to buy a house when my dad retired. At the age of 21 I got tired of saying "what if". I always felt if I had been able to contiue riding in Cali and TX(where we lived before KY) I would have turned pro at 16. Anyway I went out and bought a bike and started racing again. Within 4 years I had my pro license. My point is if you want something bad enough go for it. I will say it is expensive, especially with the way the AMA has it set up now. But, if you truly want to and dedicate yourself to achieving your goal you can do it. Now get off the computer and go bust out some laps, watch some videos or work on your cardio. Good Luck!

Remember this.

"What the mind of a man can conceive and believe, the mind of a man can achieve." not my quote

Just thought I'd clarify one of the threads. Ward started when he was like 3 or 4. He was the lil kid riding a wheelie in the original "On Any Sunday", but I believe Mcgrath didn't start until he was 13 or 14. Also John Dowd didn't start racing until he was 21 I believe.

jeff ward didnt start till his teens. not sure which age

Wardy was on a bike since he was a baby:excuseme:

Could even charter a plane to get you from track to track. May as well stop at 5 star hotels. Brand new, freshly laundered riding gear for each moto. Have someone else deliver the RV to the track so you have an air-conditioned place to watch cartoons between motos.

Oh yeah, I know... the costs CAN be astronomical. Although its still not done with pocket lint, don't forget that there are pro's, racing out of the back of pickup trucks. PB&J's may not be a kings food, but it works. And get this, some of them even work out on their own, without a gym membership!

My point is... If its your dream, if your fast enough to do it... you can find a way to make it happen.

Not to shit on on your dreams but I might possibly be dropping a big dump here. First off, I want to point out the fact that you more than likely will not become fast enough to make money with support or not, so just make sure you have a lot of fun while doing it. Lots of things come in to play. Injury- Either your body or your parents might get fed up with them. They come with big bills and scare the crap out of your loved ones. I have a handful of friends that instantly lost all money support once their parents got sick of those.

As far as money goes, you better have a lot even to think about competing. Being 14, Im assuming you don't have an income? In the past 3 weeks I have spent $2200 on moto JUST TO PRACTICE LOCALLY. just needed some routine stuff, top end, clutch, tires, bars, oil, filters, fork rebuild, gas, and track entry fees. And guess what, now i have another blown fork seal and a bald rear tire, a wobbly cracked rim and a leaky radiator. I only practiced 12 times on one bike. Many of the kids I race against have 3 bikes and practiced almost everyday. If you want to turn pro you have to put in serious ride time. When you do that bikes tend to last 6 months or so. It would be easy for me to spend $20+k a year just to race locally.

In most people's case, unless you're really lucky, somewhere between 16-18 your parents start to expect you to grow up. As soon as you go for that J O B forget about it.

I know this is looking at the top level but there is a video on youtube where trey canard's mom said they spent about $500,000 on him as an ameatur and I just read I think ,Josh Hill, estimated his parents being $400,000 in debt so he can get to where he is now. Big numbers

u could do it its just gunna be super hard ur gunna have to go out and give it 100% every time u ride and learn new things every time u ride to make u faster.. and get fit too