dataquest

2008 and newer Yamaha xt250 discussion thread.

11 hours ago, Houstrom said:

Out of curiosity, does the new ignition get you a matching lock for the gas cap too?  

I never received the ignition switch from Partzilla since I am in Texas and the recent storm has slowed shipping down a lot.  I only bought the switch because I plan to import the moto to Mexico so some replacement parts there are difficult to obtain for this model.  I want to have a spare switch if needed.  The good news is that it should arrive today.  I doubt if the key will match the gas tank key, but such is life.  On a side bar, my new Hagon shock should also arrive today but I do not plan on installation until I return to Mexico where I have proper workshop area and tools.

On a sidebar,  I read a post on another webboard from a XT250 rider who stated that his top speed on his 2021 model was much higher with the 15t front sprocket than a 16t front sprocket.  The reason being the motor just does not have the power necessary for the 16t.  Anyone have experience with this?  That seems odd to me.

16 minutes ago, tiemann1 said:

I never received the ignition switch from Partzilla since I am in Texas and the recent storm has slowed shipping down a lot.  I only bought the switch because I plan to import the moto to Mexico so some replacement parts there are difficult to obtain for this model.  I want to have a spare switch if needed.  The good news is that it should arrive today.  I doubt if the key will match the gas tank key, but such is life.  On a side bar, my new Hagon shock should also arrive today but I do not plan on installation until I return to Mexico where I have proper workshop area and tools.

On a sidebar,  I read a post on another webboard from a XT250 rider who stated that his top speed on his 2021 model was much higher with the 15t front sprocket than a 16t front sprocket.  The reason being the motor just does not have the power necessary for the 16t.  Anyone have experience with this?  That seems odd to me.

Not at all....   I've been suggesting for a long time that a CS change may not result in a higher or lower speed depending on several factors.  If you're going up a slight incline you probably won't see any change in top speed with a 16T, in fact depending on the grade it may not be as fast.  If downhill, sure, I would expect an increase.  If you go downhill, sooner or later you have to go back uphill..  Engine power will tell the tale on top speed..  Where I live ( hilly mountainous areas ) a 14T CS is an asset.  If I lived in Florida, probably not..  The 15T from the factory is probably the right choice for a lot of folks...  But for others not the optimal setup.   Nice thing is it's a cheap mod..  and a good one for the price.  

Ignition switch? Hum any lock has got usually small springs to get it to work. Oil and graphite err? I would check with your local locksmith as to what they recommend for locks and switches.  It could work well now but over time what stuff accumlates and gums up ? Just saying.