KLX 400 Street Legal Suggestions

I am planning to get a plate for my 2003 KLX 400R (DRZ400) this spring. I'm having a hard time justifying the cost of the Baja Designs Kit. Here in Michigan, I need a tailight, tl switch, hi/lo headlight, horn, mirror, and DOT tires to get this bike plated. I've been looking at installing an Edge tailight and getting the brake switch to hook it up. I was wondering if anyone has any suugestions about what I should do for the front side, or should I just bite the bullett and spend girlfirend's birthday money on a BD kit. I do not need turn signals.

The Baja Design kit is expensive and I thought of buying stock S parts and wiring them to my E but buy the time you buy it all and wire it the extra money for the baja kit doesn't seem all that bad. I had mine installed in 45 minutes. Bleeding the brakes after installing the switches took the most time.

Baja kit is overpriced and cheaply made. i passed on a really sweet XR 650 because the kit made it look like a joke.

You can get all the DRZ parts from TT OEM store if you cant find them on Ebay or TT Classifieds. Check those first.

THe EDGE tail light is a must for a DRZ as the stocker usually breaks off after the first year. I would Go to Wheeling Supply as Forrest there is great. Use the EDGE 1 which is metal not the EDGE2. Get 602 blinkers front & rear or the Lockhart Phillips like I have (check my garage). Forrest also has the Jap spec headlight shroud and bracket which is pretty trick. Uses an E headlight which is smaller. You could search headlight in the DRZ forum and start PMing guys who have posted pics of their new Acerbis & cyclops units and beg them for their old ones. You might get lucky and get one cheap.

You can get the actuators from guys like keepitroostin on ebay. He buys new bikes and parts them out for decent prices.

I bought the DRZ S model because it had nice switchgear and was already street legal. You can get all the stuff for less than you would spend fo a Baja kit and it is better quality. Those Baja headlights just attach to the forks with radiator clamps - cheap!

Search the DRZ forum and you will find lots of ideas for mirrors and all the other goodies. I can sell you my mirrors cheap is you have perches with threaded holes in them. Guys even sell their take off horns.

I wouldnt worrry too much about tires, they usually let you slide on those. Dont know about those tho.

I bought a BD replacement kit with hi/lo/kill switch for $100 and a cheap-o horn for $10, got a BD LED taillight for $60, a replacement rear fender for $50 from Maier, and a brake switch for the rear brake for around $20 from a local dealer. I bought a bicycle mirror for $4 from walmart.

I wired it up myself, and viola, I had a street legal bike.

All in all, I had $240 into the project. The BD kits are usually over $400.

I just did my third DS kit on my z's

Get the procycle kit WITHOUT THE HEADLIGHT AND TAILIGHT.

The stock headlight will work. It has a dual element. Get your power from your rear tail-light. This way everything won't always be "on." Use the Stock wiring for the headlight and just add the DS wiring for the highbeam lead.

Since it's your only bike, spend a little money and get an edge rear taillight/plate holder set up.

Order the front turn signal mounts from Wheeling. And when you order the DS kit get them to swap out one set of flashers for some flush mount ones for the rear. Remember, both of these options are not DOT approved, but I haven't had any problem getting them past DMV here in NV. If the turn signals are going to be an issue, make sure you order some DOT approved ones.

Run the harness down the right side of the bike.

You should be able to get it all done for $300. that and a set of Pirelli Mt-21's and for less than $500 you got one sweet street legal DS.

Oh yes I forgot, when you order the DS kit, drop the mirror and get two brake/clutch mirror mounts and order the emco mirrors from TT ($18/pr)