Sign in to follow this  

Just Bought a 2008 CRF 250

about the air filter......are most people using the stock filter with the screen? or are they removing the screen and using a twin air or uni? i heard from someone that a top engine builder told them that on the dyno the stock filter with screen made the same power and it will let less dirt thru. just wondering if that is fact or fiction......thanks

about the air filter......are most people using the stock filter with the screen? or are they removing the screen and using a twin air or uni? i heard from someone that a top engine builder told them that on the dyno the stock filter with screen made the same power and it will let less dirt thru. just wondering if that is fact or fiction......thanks

Leave the screen in there. It will not affect power, and will do what it was designed to do. The stock filter is an excellent one, probably the best, as far as dirt stopping goes. I wish the OEM filters were reasonably priced, because I like to buy several. Having said that, I buy several Twin Air filters, and keep them clean and oiled with a good oil (Bel-Ray). I also use a PC Racing Pro Seal, and skip the grease.

The screen isnt very restrictive at all. I took mine off and ran water through it in the sink. The water went straight through as if the screen wasnt even there. I've also used it to filter my engine oil to see if anything came out, and even the oil flowed through that screen pretty quickly.

Change oils often - Engine every hard ride at the track or 2 rides/3 or so hours in the bush. Trans oil the same time as the engine oil if you are hard on the clutch, if not hard on it every 1.5-2 engine oil changes is good. Oil filter every 15 hrs, and change the airfilter often. Every dusty ride or 2 normal ones.

Make sure you grease all of the bearings and linkage points. Steering head, swing arm, front/rear axles, swingarm pivot, suspension linkage... Factory does not do this.

I am likin my 08 :smirk:

Change oils often - Engine every hard ride at the track or 2 rides/3 or so hours in the bush. Trans oil the same time as the engine oil if you are hard on the clutch, if not hard on it every 1.5-2 engine oil changes is good. Oil filter every 15 hrs, and change the airfilter often. Every dusty ride or 2 normal ones.

Make sure you grease all of the bearings and linkage points. Steering head, swing arm, front/rear axles, swingarm pivot, suspension linkage... Factory does not do this.

I am likin my 08 :smirk:

what he said.....plus, if you have a little extra cash you can jet the bike perfectly for your area and be even happier!

Yea i heard the jetting on the bike was very touchy. I was going to ride it first and then go from there. I live in ny and ride at raceway park in englishtown NJ so im not to sure if it would require jetting as of yet but like i said ill ride it and go from there...

what he said.....plus, if you have a little extra cash you can jet the bike perfectly for your area and be even happier!

and sorry about this but I got to be a smart ass..........

Or I Can Ride The Revolution......in uhhhh 2 months.....or uhhhhh whenever they are released lmao

the screen is a spark arrestor to prevent setting your air cleaner on fire when the bike backfires.

try this sometime, take off your screen and hold a lighter to the bottom of it, notice how it doesnt travel threw it.

the screen is a spark arrestor to prevent setting your air cleaner on fire when the bike backfires.

try this sometime, take off your screen and hold a lighter to the bottom of it, notice how it doesnt travel threw it.

After I took my screen out I wanted to make sure so I sprayed some airfilter oil (Motorex) on the ground and waited a few minutes to get tacky and it wouldn't light with a torch. It did light if it had just came out of the can, but not after a minute or two.

Which oils stay flammable after they "dry"? Could be good to know

whether you gain any more power from removing the backfire screen from you air box is questionable. but the chances of you air filter bursting into flames while your ridding is slim to none. if you have your air filter oiled well enough im sure you could hold match under it and it still wouldn't ignite never mind i spark from your bike back firing. i use no toil and as long as you read the directions and let the alcohol completely evaporate or clean your filter w/ something besides gas should have nothing to worry about.

Check you valve clearances before first ride, dealers seem to be a bit slack in this department and I think this may be contributing to some issues with some other owners.

I have done 26 hrs on mine and it has been a dream bike (had an 04 before)

There is also a mod you can do on the FCR carbie, the accelerator pump fails to pump at half to full throttle and you get a hesitation on acceleration when landing off jumps.

This is the same problem experienced with the 07 model.

Enjoy your bike bro - she'll give you many hours of enjoyment.