Sign in to follow this  

What are the legal plated options?

I like my plated 03 KTM 525, but the new Huskys are looking pretty sweet. I will let the EFI prove it's self for a little while though.

I had the same Husky TE510 / KTM 530 EXC-R delima the last couple of months. I was able to test ride a KTM & loved it. But the nearest dealer was in portland, 50 miles away, so i went to my local Husky dealer (4 miles away) and bought the TE 510 with the power up kit... Well ive been riding it for 3 days now & Im sold on the Husky now!!!! What a sweet bike & there are no regrets on the decision!!!!:smirk:

KTM's with the wide ratio transmission are so hard to beat. The EXC's aren't also rans. They literally set the standard. If you seperate the brand loyalty factor from the merrits of the bike, I think there is a difference. It's no accident or coincidence that the EXC's have literally changed the industry.

Spend the extra money up front for the KTM and you'll save that money in the long run when all is considered, including resale. Husky is going to be interesting now since the BMW buyout. I think they'll be a better choice now with the larger dealer pipeline and support. I like the Husky alot.

The Husky sure is a strange looking bike. I've never cared for the Euro styling. It kinda looks like the Aprilla dirtbike.

I don't know where I'd go to even buy a Husky. I guess MotoXotica or Motosports of Ukiah, both almost an hour away.

I wouldn't even consider the Husky until they make frame and suspension upgrades, which they already did for '08.

Although I will say I have ridden the Husky 450 in MX trim, and the 510 supermoto. It was fun to rip around town on the 510. Both were great bikes. But not great enough for me to buy one. I'd buy a KTM before a Husky.

Really Ossidog. EFI, that great of an improvement? I think not.

Maybe for someone who needs every horsie or ft-lb, but common we are just weekend warriors.

Husqvarna Dual Sports:

TE 250 --- 90% dirt, 10% street

TE 450

TE 510

TE610 --- 50% dirt, 50% street

All '06 and newer Husky TE's are 50 state legal. All come with 1 year guarantee.

EFI was first released on '07 euro model TE610's.

Just FYI:

'08 model year was a big upgrade for Husky TE's:

- 250-510 bikes have new frames, pipes, EFI, forks, shocks, plastic, bars, etc.

- 610 bike has EFI in the USA

IMS is working on a bigger tank for the FI '08 bikes, will be out in a couple months.

Parts for Husky are easy to get, dont let that fool ya. Best line up of dual sport bikes available, by far.

two weeks ago we rode with a buddy on the new fuel injected 510.He said he had to purchase the extra pipe and rear fender kit.Finish quality was poor.Lots of loose bolts and the main wiring harness fell on the motor.Don't know about them all but not quit up to the jap standards.This was the street legal version.The rear fender kit also didn't fit well.The options were direct husky parts i believe.After spending 8900 plus some this just doesn't cut it.Another friend bought the beta and haven't heard any bad news yet.KTM engine with italian chassis.Great looking bike but still rather pricy.My suggestion to you ossi,wait for the 450 yamaha version.Should be next year.

There was a company in the Bay Area that could dualsport any bike for you, even if it was a Red Sticker. I forget the name of the place. The trick is to register your bike as custom built, i.e. your pink slip will no longer say "Honda" or "Yamaha", it will say something like "custom".

It' called "special construction" and the store is 'joe racer' in northern california. It will cost you: 1000.00 to do the paperwork on my 450X. I passed.

Ossi

No one has mentioned the BMW XC. Comes plated, not as dirt worthy as the KTM or Husky but I have seen ride reports and people like it--kinda depends how dirt worthly of a DS you are looking for. BMW will also be hitting the market with a 450, dont know if it will have a plated option or not.

I was in the same boat when I bought my EXC last May....couldn't decide between the Husky and the K-Tizzle. I fortunately had a chance to ride both bikes in the desert before I finally decided to go with the EXC. I'm happy with the decision. The "special construction" route is a bit awkward from what I've read/heard. Apparently once this is done, the owner cannot sell the vehicle for a specific time period???? Perhaps Krannie would have that information or could elaborate on it for anyone interested.

Go with your gut, but I'd say KTM all the way:thumbsup:

It' called "special construction" and the store is 'joe racer' in northern california. It will cost you: 1000.00 to do the paperwork on my 450X. I passed.

Yeah, that's the place. :smirk:

I followed the directions to the letter found on old posts on this site and got my 450x plated 2 weeks ago, in California , I even made my own baja

lights kit with parts off an old street legal Honda , it can be done!