Sign in to follow this  

Quick question about mid-air revving???

ok so I just kinda picked it up from watching the local races. I notice all the guy were doing it. so I tried it and it seems to settle the bike down in the air(could just be my imagination) but should I do it with the clutch pulled in, or leave it out. I have always done it with the clutch out, is this right. also I'm getting to the point where im starting to do little mini whips(im sorry for the whip thread:crazy: ) But i am having trouble bringing them straight again, will revving it help bring them back?

Reving helps level the bike out if the front is lower then the rear. I generaly rev with the clutch pulled in.

Revving with the clutch pulled in wont do anything except over rev the engine but with it out I guess it seems to help straighten out the bike more. I just do it and dont really think about it

cool, i was thinking that with the clutch pulled in it wouldnt do anything because with it out it spins the tire and creates momentum but i wasnt sure

You ONLY PULL THE CLUTCH FOR BRAKE TAP IN THE AIR to get the front down. If you need to bring the front up just give it a little gas and it will bring the front up

You may also notice alot of fast guys rev in the air because they are hitting the jump face so hard that they back off the gas off the lip to scrub speed, but that will make the nose drop so they blip it in the air to level it out......You don't see that on jumps were they have to power off the lip as much.

And yes reving will help bring a whip back, but there is more than just the rev involved.

Reving the motor raises the front end by increasing the rotational inertia of the back wheel. If you pull in the clutch before you rev, you lose the effect.

rotational? i get what your saying but is that a word haha

It also can help keeping the rpm's from being idle. Helps a little with landing for me. My bike has quite a hesitation when I get on the gas from idle. It's so cool. . . . .

hahahahah pulling the clutch in and reving it is like ur trying to go and u pull the clutch in and hit the gas... it just makes noise thats all

from what ive read and seen, you can use the gas and/or brake while in mid air to aim the bike where you want it. not side to side of course, but up and down. your grip on the bike also determines how effective this is. if you grip too tight (with your amrs and legs) it wont react as much compared to being loose and letting the bike move under you.

Revving the bike in mid-air also helps absorb a hard landing, as it extends and stiffens the rear end. Plus it's faster to land already on the gas, than to land and then hit the gas.

You may also notice alot of fast guys rev in the air because they are hitting the jump face so hard that they back off the gas off the lip to scrub speed, but that will make the nose drop so they blip it in the air to level it out......You don't see that on jumps were they have to power off the lip as much.

And yes reving will help bring a whip back, but there is more than just the rev involved.

Excellent info here. If you watch the pros, they blip over almost every jump, for the above reason.

rotational? i get what your saying but is that a word haha

rotational:

adjective

of or pertaining to rotation; "rotational inertia"

i think its pretty much been covered.

bringing the whip back really is an act of force on the bike in certain spots. is just your back end whipping out or are you actually getting the bike to lay over(pancake?). If its just the back then probably your best bet is to use your outside leg and your inner thigh muscle and a blip on the gas.

If your landing out of shape just make sure you land front wheel first and stay on the gas, the rear end will follow you. Ive done this and escaped a few nasty landings before. youd be suprised how much you can come back from.

good luck:ride:

Revving does help raise the front of the bike in the event that the front end ends up low, but is not effective with the clutch pulled in. It does also help to rev just before landing to soften a hard landing.

Steve

your body position is what brings the bike back. revving will help with the landing if you dont get it back straight but it will not bring it back for you. your body position and motion is what brings it back.

you have to do something with your body in order to get your "mini whips". so do the exact opposite to bring it back. kdub has gone over this in his "how to whip" clips. worked pretty well for me when i was first learning.

also you hear guys bouncing of the rev limiter in the air. this is a panic rev (with the clutch out), either they're panicking and whiskey throttling the hell out of it (obviously) or the are hoping that the back wheel will save them from casing or over shooting a jump.

well im fine qwith this but 1 thing i forgot is do you land front wheel or back i land on the back it pulls you out if the jump

and sometimes when you hit it just right..revving just makes you feel good!!! said what you all are thinking!!lol