Sign in to follow this  

TTR 125 won't start need help

Like the title says. My wifes TTR 125 will not start and I don't know why. The spark plug is sparking, bike has gas, oil and everything else I have no idea why it won't start. The bike has maybe 20 hours on it but not much more. Any ideas I can try.

If the bike has sat for any length of time - you need to drain the fuel out of the bowl and and then refill it with the fresh gas from the tank, and it will start right up. These bikes are known for that, and nobody knows why the gas goes bad in the bowl. Heres how - shut off gas valve - unscrew carbuator bowl drain valve and drain gas out of the bowl - screw the drain valve back shut - turn on gas valve (refilling the bowl) - start as normal. I have had to do this 100 times. These bikes are rock solid. If ever the bike does not start right up - no need to check anything else - do this procedure.

I will try that but also how hard is it to kick your bike over mine kicks easy as heck i mean i can do it with my hand ... :smirk:

Oh, you did not mention that in your original post. This changes everything. You may have internal problems. Take it to your trusted mechanic and have it properly diagnosed - kicking over a damaged motor may cause more damage.

Check the idle jet on the carb. My TT-R 90 and TT-R 125 were both sitting for two years and I had to clean out everything. Came down to the jets. The larger one is no problem, it's the smaller one that's a pain. Soak in a Yamaha cleaner and then use an "E" guitar string to clear the holes in the jets.

SOB this sucks last time i get a used bike from anyone before you say anything I didn't start it before i bought it because it was already winterized so I didn't kick it over with no oil in it.

I have a TTR as well and if it sits much longer than a couple weeks without riding I have to clean the pilot jet. When the carb is clean it starts very well. Perhaps one of the more tech savvy guy's can direct you to help cleaning your carb

Swarty

another question should I try using starting fluid and give it a few kicks the girl I bought it from swears it runs good just cold blooded. SO im thinking through some starting fluid in there and give it a few kicks let it run for a while and shut it off. Good idea or bad idea?

I will try that but also how hard is it to kick your bike over mine kicks easy as heck i mean i can do it with my hand ... :smirk:

Same here. My 125 will start if I look at it wrong.:)

I don't think you have anything more than a clogged/dirty pilot jet and old gas. Like previously stated, drain the float bowl and clean the pilot jet and it will fire right up.

FYI...the larger jet mods does WONDERS for the bike and it's real easy to do. Read the sticky at the top of the forum for the mods.

tonight i went in and started working on the bike again and wouldn't you know it know when i turn on the gas it comes flying out of the over flow tube *** is going on why is this happening does this mean no gas is getting to the bike? I mean it is a steady stream after a few seconds of the gas being on. I have absolutley no idea why this is happening. I took the carb off and cleaned it but it still happens. Anyone have another idea I can try. :eek:

I just want it to start already 👍

tonight i went in and started working on the bike again and wouldn't you know it know when i turn on the gas it comes flying out of the over flow tube *** is going on why is this happening does this mean no gas is getting to the bike? I mean it is a steady stream after a few seconds of the gas being on. I have absolutley no idea why this is happening. I took the carb off and cleaned it but it still happens. Anyone have another idea I can try. :eek:

I just want it to start already 👍

never heard of that before. somethings probably wrong with carb.

Yeah something was wrong with the carb but i fixed that and it still wont start it mad a pop tonight that is more than it has done. I installed the new jets thinking it would start after that but nothing. Should I check the valves next.

Last night I bought a new spark plug and it didn't start then I figured what the heck I'll change the oil again just to get the newest oil in there. When i drained it it was black and more than i had originally put in initally. When I went to reinstall the bolt i noticed the plug was stripped. Do you think i could use a piggy back on this or is that a bad idea?

well try the starting fluid i do it sometimes just bc im to lazy to clean my carb out lol but the stuff wouldnt hurt ur engine unless ur pouring gals of it in at once just do that and see if it will start.oh and about the kicking it over with ur hand , i can do that to nothing broken its just broken in

okay good. I used started fluid after I replaced the jets and plug and it still isn't firing. Thanks for the help everyone I do not know much about bikes I just ride them.

I hope I can help, I am a 2-smoker guy, but I do own a TTR125 and have been working on it. After cleaning my carb, I had the same problem with fuel running out, so I am pretty sure I know what your "problem" was. I always heard that when a 4-stroke begins having trouble starting, your valves are out of spec. They are extremely easy to adjust, follow your owners manual and all you need are some normal tools and a set of feeler gauges. Does it have compression? Push your thumb over the spark plug hole (remove the plug first obviously) and kick it over/push the start button attempting to maintain a seal with your thumb. It should push your thumb off the hole, you can't keep the air inside. If you can keep it on, either your valves aren't seating or your rings are shot.

Hope that helps.

:excuseme: Crap one of the valves is bent :confused: I need to replace it where can I buy them I looked on the TT store but i must be stupid couldn't find them. Anyone have a place?

yah thats exactly why it wouldnt fire up. talk to your yamaha dealer they might know where to get it and how much it cost for the repair. that is if you dont do it yourself of course.