Sprocket/s change advice

In terms of sprocket change time and stress on the bike,would it be practical to change gearing for a long ride such as southern california to northern california, change the gearing back to stock for a short stay, and change it back for the ride home? What would be the most efficient way of doing this.

stock '06 sm by the way.

Thanks

Use different sized front sprockets, as these are easy to change (well, all the front sprockets I've changed have been easy) and even 1 or 2 teeth difference in size is enough to make a large difference in the gearing. Plus the chain will still fit properly. Get say a 16 tooth for highway (are you doing any highway? you only say long distance) and if you're doing off road during the stay get 13 or 14 tooth. Just suggestions, though, it all depends on the size of the rear sprocket and your current gearing. Front sprockets are also cheaper.

I've heard many people change their gearing regularly.

Just my 2 cents

In terms of sprocket change time and stress on the bike,would it be practical to change gearing for a long ride such as southern california to northern california, change the gearing back to stock for a short stay, and change it back for the ride home? What would be the most efficient way of doing this.

stock '06 sm by the way.

Thanks

Yeah, change the C/S sprocket to 16 for highway, and 13 or 14 for dirt. Make sure your chain can fit both gears.

I would think you want to treat a sprocket change as an overnight project. It takes time for the Locktite to set up.

The process goes highway gearing to destination, drink with friends while changing sprocket, sleep, ride dirt until exhausted, drink with friends while changing sprocket, sleep, head home.

Or something that closely resembles above. With any luck you will have the correct tools on the other end or as Rob says you will need to arm yourself with everything.

Enjoy the trip.

drcool

Sure it can be done....and very easily if you think about it:prof:

Plan your ride so you stay in a Motel that has a tire shop, or an auto repair shop nearby and you can handle the sprocket removal quite easily.

Just get them to hit the sprocket nut with their air gun and it'll bust that red locktite loose:eek:

Then you can either push your bike back to the motel. Put it all back together with the red locktite and your new sprocket, washer and nut. Bend the washer tab over the nut & then let it cure overnight. Of course, you're gonna' need to bring the tools needed to do this with you along with your normal travel bag of tools......but the repair shop will be a big help with that air gun!!

I hope this helps:thumbsup:

HappyRiding !!

??