Sign in to follow this  

making it through the first corner

It seems like 90% of my crashes come in the first corner when everyone is bumpin and grindin or either when I'm back and forth with someone and there is contact. How do you keep it on two wheels when you're getting hit from all angles?

I'm guessing to get there first...but I'm working on that one still, myself. :smirk:

Avoid the bottleneck in the first turn by going wide to the outside or staying tight to the inside right from the start. Keep your elbows out and keep a space cushion around your front wheel. Whatever you do, don't dart from the outside line to the the inside line in the middle of the first turn when the pack is right behind you. This will surely get you mowed down from behind.

Watch other classes and see where the good starters are going, from the gate to the first turn. See what lines seem to get the most crashes and which don't. If you're not a good starter, then go WIDE and avoid the main pack. Better to get through the turn on both wheels than get crashed out.

Be aggressive! It ain't no tea party. You're not trying to crash your way to the front, but fight to keep anybody from taking your space. Once you've picked your line, HOLD it.

First turns are mostly mental. You gotta WANT IT. A lot of guys never learn that. The bikes are mostly equal so it's all about who wants it the most and has his starting technique down pat.

Practice; go out and spend time practicing your starts thru the first turn. Some places you can some tracks you cann't find one you can and hit it.

Do 20 starts the first day . Good starts. Practice makes practice perfect practice makes perfect.

The second moto I had the holeshot, braked early to get the inside, then someone slams into the back of me, sending me over the bars. So getting there in the lead or close to the lead aint the problem

Preperation adds to your confidence so make sure you are well practiced before you ever get to the line. Be calm but think cocky. I feel like the more confident I am, the less likely I am to go down, whether I get hit or not. IF the guy behind you is hitting you maybe it is saying you need to practice carrying speed through that corner rather than slam the brakes. Could just be a madman, too.

Don't worry about the inside so much on the start, Just get thru the corner carrying as much speed as you can. If you are getting hit from behind consistently you are braking too early , or at least earlier than the rest of the pack, or just have some A-hole hitting you that is going into the first turn way too fast. If you come off the gate slow just hang on it a little longer and go around the outside of the pack. Most of the time you can make up a lot of places in the first turn. You can't pass them if you are stuck behind them.

I know everyone says Pin it to win it and get to the corner first, but as a C class rider I find my most success comes from going wide and watching the pile up occur. It usually takes out about 1/3 of the riders in some way or another or at least slows them down. I've tried to get the hole shot and someday I just might, but there are some things I just have to accept. I'm like Cman, for me it is all about carrying speed. Anyways, the guys in my class that get the hole shot roll the first jump.

I'll set it up. Its a good fourth gear start straight. It a flat right hander. So the best line is on the inside. The first moto I was crummy off the gate but was second coming out becuase everyone blew the first corner and wend wide while i braked early and wend inside.

Second moto i was in the lead and tried the same thing, but got slammed from behind. Not too much worry about a pile up becuase no more than 15 in my class.

I really want to nail this, because it my local track (10 min away) But this is my third race there, and my third crash there during a race grrr.... IF I get in the lead, im sure i could stay there

What track you talkin bout man? If you get a bad jump off the gate, that is when you maybe let off a little bit and hug the very inside when everyone is sliding outside. If you have a front wheel on the riders around you, you have to be confident to stay on the gas and use the whole corner, unless you have the skill to cut down(james stewart style) and still hold your momentum. But even he gets slammed when riders behind him don't expect him to do that. Visualize the start ahead of time 3-4 times before your moto on top of practicing it on practice day alone.

PMP. I can get there first, but I brake early to hit the inside rut, but then i just get slammed. If I were to go to the outside, then people would sneak by on the inside.

Id suggest working on your turning speed and your braking point. If you can find someone to video tape some starts you can see where other people in your class begin to brake. I dont know how crowded your start is but when you jam on the brakes before the guy 6 inches behind you gets off the gas it can cause some problems. At the same time, don't ride over your head. it really sucks to fall down in front of the pack haha. like some other people said, it sounds like you are braking earlier than the people behind you are expecting. Hope you can get it down. good luck

The second moto I had the holeshot, braked early to get the inside, then someone slams into the back of me, sending me over the bars. So getting there in the lead or close to the lead aint the problem

You must first imagine yourself as the first one into the first turn. To get there first you must be on the trottle hard!!! until you think you have past the point where you would normally brake ,then brake hard no coasting. If you were hit from the back at the first turn you may have slowed down too much. Can you powerslide?

My style is to start from somewhat outside to far outside and cut down on people. I practice getting off the gate a lot ahead of time so I almost always have a good jump and when I cut down it seems to really scare most guys and they back way off. If they don't back off then I get right up next to them so they really know I'm there. Probably wouldn't do a lot of good in the pro class but you're racing kids, right?

My style is to start from somewhat outside to far outside and cut down on people. I practice getting off the gate a lot ahead of time so I almost always have a good jump and when I cut down it seems to really scare most guys and they back way off. If they don't back off then I get right up next to them so they really know I'm there. Probably wouldn't do a lot of good in the pro class but you're racing kids, right?

The last time I did that was as a B rider in a local Supercross. Trouble is, B riders don't back down like Novices. I got slammed from behind when I cut in, and ended up face-down on the starting grid with my handlbar shoved all the way down the back of my boot. Talk about embarrassing.

Ouch! Did I mention I would never try that in a SX? anyone with a pipe and big rear sprocket might pull on my bone stocker on a lil SX straight.