The Future - Measuring Power Output in Amps? CRF250R Electric Conversion!

Amps, no

Watts, yes

Actually we are both wrong. Both measuring units are based on consumption. We would still use a dyno measuring useable power output. I was just trying to have a catchy title.?

wow, sweet find. who is this guy? he's really good at doing these projects on his own, wow. the bike looks good, and sounds promising. I don't really get why there are two chains on the motor section. maybe two motors? it's cool how recently and often he is updating it. I can't wait for some videos and the dyno curves over lapped with a stock crf250 dyno curve that he said he'll be posting sooner or later.

I love gas powered motors, but if there is a future and benefit to electric motors than i think it's worth looking into.

Since there are no oil change, oilfilter change, airfilter change. No coolant to boil or change. No valves to adjust. The market for service and spareparts will drop.

I don't think any mayor brand want to go there.

I want to go there, less service time and spare costs for me!

I Also know that you can replace the whole electric motor for the cost of a expensive gas engine break down. There are so many moving parts in a combustions engine compered to a electric.

However replacing the battery is still expensive. 3000USD/1000 charges makes 3USD per ride + cost of electricity which is 48V*40Ah, about 2kwh in sweden that is 0.3 USD.

That is about 3,3 USD/ride and you get 40km/ride.

I can't compare that with gas bike because i don't know the Milage for them...

Anyone?

/Johan

a ten liter fuel tank for me get's me around 120 KM's riding a 450, an 8 liter tank on a 250F get's me about 135 km's depending on terain of coruse, we pay $1.45 a liter for fuel so that works out at around $7.60 in fuel to ride a 450 40 miles, and around $5.50 to ride 250f 40 miles, but we get raped of fuel prices over here, and that's AUS dollars.

and here power plants are pretty much all coal fired, which are only around 24% efficient, and an electric motor is around 85% efficient which means a total efficiency of about 20%, current bike engines are around 35% efficient, so it's more environmentally friendly to ride petrol (gas) powered bike then a plug in electric one by a LONG shot.

...and here power plants are pretty much all coal fired, which are only around 24% efficient, and an electric motor is around 85% efficient which means a total efficiency of about 20%, current bike engines are around 35% efficient, so it's more environmentally friendly to ride petrol (gas) powered bike then a plug in electric one by a LONG shot.

How and where the electricity comes from is a different story. Electric vehicles are just one part of the picture, we've got to get electricity from hydro, wind, yes even nuclear. Same with bio fuels, the infrastructure doesn't exist yet to make them really efficient but the technologies are what will help us to achieve a smaller footprint.

As for me, give me the CR body over the mountain bike any day.

Actually we are both wrong. Both measuring units are based on consumption. We would still use a dyno measuring useable power output. I was just trying to have a catchy title.?

watts are a measure of power, just like horsepower.

1000W = 1.34hp

See:

track_01.jpg

Still only 12kw, but they say the torque i more than you can imagine. The general feeling is like 250-4t but with massive torque.

What happens when battery runs out in the mud? well, what happens when gas run out in the mud! Like any other bike you can check the amount of fuel and make sure you have enough, i have heard it even has a reserve...

Disadvantage still is riding time since it is only 30min on track and about 2 hour on trail. Still enough for me to finnish my enduro race, but not enough for long adventures.

I have placed an order for it yesterday. Delivery in may. Price was exactly same as my Husqvarna TE 250. So at least here in europe there is no price diffrence.

/johan

Right on! Have fun with that badboy and give us lots of pics and reports. Are they exporting this bike to the US that you know of?

• 2 months later...

Cali_MX it's an 18 volt battery. Should not be hard to keep it dry since there is no ventilation requirement. Think about a submersible electric pump. Works fine at 120 or 230v. 18 volts isn't going to hurt you unless you tried to swallow the batteries.

I DON'T want want of those POS looking things. I want a real dirtbike like we see today. I don't want a mountain bike with plastics and an electric motor.

That brings another point of why the conversion was great. They took a current real dirt bike and made it electric showing it can be done on a popular platform.

If I can get the same travel out of the mountain bike looking one while saving weight and being smaller than a dirt bike I'd take it.

yeah go through a puddle or creek and get electrocuted:thumbsdn: ...

DC current doesn't go to ground like AC. It's impossible to get electrocuted by this thing unless you intentionally put yourself between neg and pos.... and if you are stupid enough to let that happen then you deserve it.